Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

worked the rest of Sat and all Sunday.....the thing is coming down.....this is where Im at now......the inside of the rocker just SKINS the outside of the frame rail like it was made for it......

I left a one inch lip on the outer edge of the floor and I'll weld that lip directly to the frame rail.....the bottom of the rocker has to come down even with the bottom of the framerail then the lip will touch so the body has to come down about another 4" from here....

I'll cut the fener lips out, section the fender as required then re attach the fender lip for a "stock" appearence....I did that on my other Chevelle (notice I dont say "Velle" I hate that!!!!") and it looked great...something was different in the stance but with the stock lips still in place it was hard to tell...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02249.JPG   DSC02251.JPG  

2. Collapse Details

trunk fits amazing.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02257.JPG  

3. Collapse Details

Was going to go with the race car dash but it turns out I will be able to retain the stock dash.....this will be a little more original looking but in the big picture keep that VIN in place in the stock location by the left front A pillar.....

I'll have to cut out the rest of the glove box surround to get the body down but if I make the cuts underneath where the dash pad sits it will cover the welds......however youll probably just see that crossbrace when you open the glove box LOL.....I'll make a custom cluster with Autometer gauges.....removed the race car dash....good triangulation up up front eh!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02260.JPG   DSC02229.JPG   DSC02231.JPG  

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 03-09-2010 at 02:47 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Firewall...its hard to see the the stock Chevelle firewall is about 4" farther forward than the race cars.....the top line of the shaded area is the bottom of the wiper well which I desperately want to keep along with the orig wiper motor mount.....the shaded area will be cut out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02255.JPG  

5. Collapse Details

my buddies all want me to put the roof flaps on.....I could as the mounts on the top of the roll cage are still there.....what do you guys think????......with them in the roof would leak though.....Id have to come up with something....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02228.JPG   DSC02227.JPG  

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Very cool project.
    thanks!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Very nice. Can't wait to see it done. I've got some options I'm mulling over on my '68 Camaro right now, but need to get through the boat projects first. Might go with a full tube chassis on the car as well.

get at 'er......

On the up side, these cars live to fight another day. Unlike the thousands of cars that are rotting away in fields and barns either forgotten or "not for sale because they're gonna be fixed some day".
    so true...the car sat for years....

8. Collapse Details

Are you putting all of the glass back in? I would skip the roof flaps especially if they are going to leak everytime you wash the car or if you get stuck in the rain with it.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by pullmytrigger View Post
    my buddies all want me to put the roof flaps on.....I could as the mounts on the top of the roll cage are still there.....what do you guys think????......with them in the roof would leak though.....Id have to come up with something....
    Could the flaps be put back as a cosmetic thing rather than functional, and just seal the boxes off??

10. Collapse Details

Very cool!!!! I like it!!!

Great idea on the body lift, I might have to steal that idea If I can ever get back to my Puzzle

11. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    cosmic ,,,where is the rat ??
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    cosmic ,,,where is the rat ??
    Its home, I'm in Baltimore, Going home this afternoon and will get to work ASAP.

OK, Wheres that Hudson?

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trim'd Up View Post
    Are you putting all of the glass back in? I would skip the roof flaps especially if they are going to leak everytime you wash the car or if you get stuck in the rain with it.
    Oh yeah Im putting all the glass back in.....possibly a Lexan rear window.....I was looking last night the roof flaps are doable.....Im on the fence with it but leaning towards yes.....the only thing they might be a little over the top if you got pulled over by a Cop.....

14. Collapse Details

I got bigger fish to fry than the roof flaps right now.....the firewall in the race car (along with the engine) is about 4 to 6" further back in the frame than the stock Chevelle althoug the wheelbases are within an inch....so had to lose the stock wiper mount which is a drag but a street rod guy who came over said you could easily adapt a more compact street rod wiper motor to the stock wiper arm assy......

debating what to do with the front fender mounts.....keep the stock mounts and remove the structure below which would be the ez way (because its already there) and insure a pefect fender fit every time or remove all that (unessesay) structure and build a bracket that connects to the race car tubing beside it....havnt done anything just been letting it digest for the last week........I think I'll try and keep the stock mounts and reinforce underneath.....

body still needs to come down another 4"......will have to reove the last bit of the stock wheel wells.....by the time Im done the top of the race car wheel tubs will hit the bottom of the rear package shelf....I'll get at all that tomorrow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02272.JPG   DSC02273.JPG  

15. Collapse Details

some up dates.....been working hard to get the body down on the frame ..... I'll have to do a little trimming and this and that but this is basically it so I rolled it out for some pics.....

with the oval track set up in the car the left side wheelbase is 1.5 " shorter than the right side so the LF fender wouldnt fit.....the next order of bidness will be taking it to Peter Gibbon's race shop (20 mi away) and have him put a roadrace set up in the front of the car .....he will probably leave the RF (right front) alone and make the LF mirror it....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02291.JPG   DSC02298.JPG   DSC02305.JPG  

DSC02306.JPG   DSC02307.JPG  

16. Collapse Details

Very cool, early/mid seventies short track style..
    The more I know about people, the more I like my dogs

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Slick02 View Post
    Very cool, early/mid seventies short track style..
    You hit it.....right on the head!......you were there!

I remember going to short track races in that time period....little 1/4 mi, 1/2 mi bullrings and the whole Late model field was 68-72 Chevelle's!.....LOVED it!.....this car is a tribute to that era

18. Collapse Details

Here I am! Can't send PMs from my blackbeery. Car looks AWESOME!

I'm picking up a little project tomorrow. I'll post when I get it.

Haven't been on line much because work has been nuts. Glad you sent me the message or I might have missed this. Freaking love it!

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Here I am! Can't send PMs from my blackbeery. Car looks AWESOME!

I'm picking up a little project tomorrow. I'll post when I get it.

Haven't been on line much because work has been nuts. Glad you sent me the message or I might have missed this. Freaking love it!
    hey, were leaving for Cali on May 7th...were going to be in your area

20. Collapse Details

Right on. Just sent you a PM with my info. Looking forward to catching up when you're out here.

"Little project" turned out to be "big project" so I left it where I found it. So it goes!

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."