Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Woogie View Post
    It's winter so some additional obscure history from the good ole days when the name change thing was going on ... If you look at the Power Play logo like in my pic the word is split into two words "Power Play" this is correct. The Company that started in Florida that filed the suit, was called Powerplay (one word). It does get confusing because even people who own pre 90 Power Plays still spell it out as one word.

The company in Florida (Powerplay Marine) was actually started years after the Power Play Boats Inc. of Holland, Mi., right around 88'. The Holland PP started in 83' .The Florida owner was Dan Weinstein, a "colorful" character, by many counts, who used a Cobra 32 mold to start his co. The Cobra 32became his Poweplay 33. The lines go back through the Cobra/Formula/Magnum linage.A Great Boat.

So.. he gets word a small builder up North in a pole barn is using his name and files. It lasted a few years with many concerns about the spacing between the word Power Play. Even though his co. was formed after the Holland, Mi Co. he kept on with it. He was using the argument that he had used the name PowerPlay (long before he formed his company) on the side of his APBA raceboat. Think it was a Cougar around 93'.

As is common with these things Power Play of Holland had enough as the lawyers were the only ones profiting and agreed to phase out of PP to PQ. Think it was about a 2yr phase out. End of Obscure Info.

thanks for the detailed explanation

2. Collapse Details

. Think it was a Cougar around 93'.

Sorry it was around 1983 - it was very close to the time PP of Holland, Mi started.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Macklin View Post
    Here is my last boat...340 Vyper. Good memories and great times in this boat! AT took her on trade and I'm told she ended up in Canada. Anybody seen her?
    Why yes, a good friend of mine has her now I believe. He has owned a 29 and possibly the baddest azz 38 straight bottom to ever come from the factory. It was a twin merc 800/number 5 drive boat. Then he went cat for a while and descided he wanted back in a PQ and bought a 340 two summers ago.

4. Collapse Details

Here is my last boat...340 Vyper. Good memories and great times in this boat! AT took her on trade and I'm told she ended up in Canada. Anybody seen her?
    Your 340 was a sweet boat. Someone got a nice one!

5. Collapse Details

The company in Florida (Powerplay Marine) was actually started years after the Power Play Boats Inc. of Holland, Mi., right around 88'. The Holland PP started in 83' .The Florida owner was Dan Weinstein, a "colorful" character, by many counts, who used a Cobra 32 mold to start his co. The Cobra 32became his Poweplay 33. The lines go back through the Cobra/Formula/Magnum linage.A Great Boat.
    Colorful character is an understatement! He did build one heck of a boat though and his 38 PP lives on, albeit in a very heavily modified form, in the 43' Sunsation F4. About the only thing left original that you can recognize is the cabin liner.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
    Why yes, a good friend of mine has her now I believe. He has owned a 29 and possibly the baddest azz 38 straight bottom to ever come from the factory. It was a twin merc 800/number 5 drive boat. Then he went cat for a while and descided he wanted back in a PQ and bought a 340 two summers ago.
    Very cool! Tell him she was pampered...up until she went to Florida...and then to New York where she sat outside...unloved.

She never saw the light of day while I owned her unless I was in her...or had her on a work rack.

Oh, ask him if he got all the build pics I gave Pat/AT. If not, I kept a set. PQ was so nice to take them for me. Those folks were great to deal with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PQ340.Rack1.jpg  
    Hampton Roads Powerboat Association

7. Collapse Details

sold the 290 and picked up a 300 Revenge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 300 028.jpg   300 017.jpg   300 010.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

Congrats on the new boat. What kind of differences are there between the 290 and 300 Revenge. Better top speed?
    Good Luck with the new toy!

9. Collapse Details

Hey Tom good luck with the new boat!
    It looks awesome!

10. Collapse Details

Very cool! Tell him she was pampered...up until she went to Florida...and then to New York where she sat outside...unloved.

She never saw the light of day while I owned her unless I was in her...or had her on a work rack.

Oh, ask him if he got all the build pics I gave Pat/AT. If not, I kept a set. PQ was so nice to take them for me. Those folks were great to deal with.
    Yep, thats her alright

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by boatnt View Post
    sold the 290 and picked up a 300 Revenge
    Nice! Congrats!

12. Collapse Details

Good looking Revenge, good for you. I know you can't wait for warm weather.

13. Collapse Details

2000 26 powerquest
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26 powerquest 006.jpg   26 powerquest 011.jpg   26 powerquest 021.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    2000 26 powerquest

Looks good! How you been? Still in town?

15. Collapse Details

yep still in town,, are you still working,, things are bad here

16. Collapse Details

Here's my 97 Avenger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boat lex canvass up.jpg   boat on hi-lo.jpg   boat lex top up only.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

Here's a few more, The tied up at the well pictures are at the Lexington Michigan State harbor on Lake Huron. The hi-lo picture is at my marina on Lake St. Clair that I rack store the boat at, and the trailer pic. is at my house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails back of boat driveway.jpg   BOAT CANVASS UP.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

here ya go !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2704.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Catfish is that your boat listed for sale?

20. Collapse Details

Greetings,

Here's my pic of our 95 340. This was a few years ago but it is as new as ever. 400 hours (have 2 boats). Bought new. Stored on lift (not pictured) and always covered. We are in Harrison Twp, MI on a canal off Anchor Bay (LAke St Clair)

Love them PQs....just wish they were still making them.

When Kevin owned the company I was holding out for the 44 they had planned (instead of making a jump to the 38). Well that never happened. Would still love a 38...but selling the ole 34 right now would be tough.

Take care,

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg