Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    Tim Sharkey's point, "I don't see the UIM Sanctioning the SBI event without the APBA affiliation," is correct.
    Which is really a shame. Just think of what could be accomplished if everyone could check their egos at the door and come together for the sake of the sport
    Eddie

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikes280 View Post
    i have a ? i know the difference in a kilo record and how they get it but i see a ton of people referring to the Unlimited record as the fastest prop driven boat. This is just not true , on Nov 22 2009 the Top Fuel Hydro Problem Child ran and backed up a 1/4 mile pass of 264.82 mph, now i know you are going to say well that is not a kilo but it is still 40 mph faster then any other boat with a prop. No it is not a offshore type of boat but hay they don't run in big water for the kilo run either. So with this said just what is the fastest prop driven boat record?
    World speed records have always been conducted on a 2 way "flying" (wide open at start and finish) mile or a flying kilo course. While drag boats do go very fast, they do so in spurts and the engines frequently blow up before, during, or after a run. I don't doubt that they can run over 220....but can they maintain that speed long enough to set a true World speed record? In point of fact I believe they can....but with lower, more sustainable power.....

This is serious stuff and many people have been injured or killed in the pursuit of boat racing's holy grail. Let's not compromise the rules long after so many, from Gar Wood to Ken Warby to Dave Vilwock, have risked so much to set the bar. The inclusion of short bursts, or GPS speeds does not belong in this conversation IMHO.
    Allergic to Nonsense

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungPerformance View Post
    Which is really a shame. Just think of what could be accomplished if everyone could check their egos at the door and come together for the sake of the sport
    Eddie

Or to put it more clearly....just look at all the damage that has been done, and the opportunities that have been wasted, by the years of ignorance, greed and egotistical nonsense.
    Allergic to Nonsense

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    I don't see the UIM Sanctioning the SBI event without the APBA affiliation..
    I wonder how long an SBI Kilo is?........ and how much per yard it costs to reduce that length?

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

5. Collapse Details

registered
    Since we're on the subject, I'm curious.

How exactly is the speed verified at a UIM kilo? Is it calculated distance/time, or do they use some kind of laser and/or radar device at the end? If it's the former, how do you precisely measure exactly 1km on the water? Laser range-finder? Surely not GPS, I hope. What's used to mark the start and stop? Buoys that drift and wobble? Land-based positions? And how does one ensure that a timing devices triggers exactly when a boat enters the kilo and exits the kilo? And who certifies/calibrates the devices in question?
    Last edited by cigdaze; 03-03-2010 at 12:15 PM.

6. Collapse Details

Problem Child the Top Fuel record holder ran 265 MPH in a quarter mile, I guess @ 10 more seconds at that speed to cover the rest of the mile.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
    Problem Child the Top Fuel record holder ran 265 MPH in a quarter mile, I guess @ 10 more seconds at that speed to cover the rest of the mile.
    Could it have ran another 10 seconds though?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy222 View Post
    Could it have ran another 10 seconds though?
    Doubtful

9. Collapse Details

ok folks i am not taking anything away from these speed records, bottom line every sanction body has there way to determind if a record is a record, so to say having to run 2 passes within 1 % in a single event is not as good as having to do 2 passes each way. That is the way that body looks at it and 1 body is not the only way for a record to happen. In drag boats there is no way a run can be done in 3 min. Yes sometimes the do blow up it has nothing to do with it. Running 220 in a 40 or 50 ft boat is a hand full but running 260 in a 20 ft boat is also a hand full so they both have their records. But the fastest PROP DRIVEN pass is 260 +. PS my typing skills suck so please don't take this the wrong way, i will be watching for them to run and i wish them the best , a safe and fast run over 220 .

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    Since we're on the subject, I'm curious.

How exactly is the speed verified at a UIM kilo? Is it calculated distance/time, or do they use some kind of laser and/or radar device at the end? If it's the former, how do you precisely measure exactly 1km on the water? Laser range-finder? Surely not GPS, I hope. What's used to mark the start and stop? Buoys that drift and wobble? Land-based positions? And how does one ensure that a timing devices triggers exactly when a boat enters the kilo and exits the kilo? And who certifies/calibrates the devices in question?
    Hey Cig,

I believe it's done by laser-range finder. Who calibrates and certifies? That would have to be one within the sanctioning body.

Mike,

Your point is reasonable, but since Phenomenon is not a drag boat it makes better sense that they would chase a two-way kilo record (flying start, as T2X points out, which I believe is a mile run-up, although why the run-up is a mile and the actual run itself is a kilometer mystifies me).

11. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Talking
    why the run-up is a mile and the actual run itself is a kilometer mystifies me).
    . .

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
    Then turn around in three min and run back (wind tides ect). Remember 10 seconds is an eternity in the cockpit at those speeds

The drag boat guys are a special breed very similar to our own adrenilin junkies

The Timing lights used in crecent city required underwater cables

I believe the UIM "Offshore" boat kilo record is 188MPH.
    Miss GEICO

Boost won't save you.

13. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Then turn around in three min and run back (wind tides ect). Remember 10 seconds is an eternity in the cockpit at those speeds
    But just think of how much distance you cover in those 10 seconds....

14. Collapse Details

Hey Cig,

I believe it's done by laser-range finder. Who calibrates and certifies? That would have to be one within the sanctioning body.

Mike,

Your point is reasonable, but since Phenomenon is not a drag boat it makes better sense that they would chase a two-way kilo record (flying start, as T2X points out, which I believe is a mile run-up, although why the run-up is a mile and the actual run itself is a kilometer mystifies me).
    Why do American cars have metric bolts???

15. Collapse Details

Do all of the sactioning bodies have the same length kilo?

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    What is a kilo of "Columbian Gold" worth these days?
    Allergic to Nonsense

17. Collapse Details

Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Then turn around in three min and run back (wind tides ect). .
    ok 2 ways to look at that a drag boat racer would say then do it in a 1/4 mile from a standing start.

19. Collapse Details

and folks there you have the fastest prop driven boat in the world

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    What is a kilo of "Columbian Gold" worth these days?
    About 5k