Thread: Class 2.5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Bill I think your boats perfect for class 3 as your set up, asking you to change anything would be crazy at this point and I would not even suggest it. My point was (IMHO) the class structure (1 to 6) is pretty damm good at this point and why add, change or alter it.

But you have to admit, this class structure would make for some big ASSS classes..

Class A: 1 & 2 run 107mph
    Class B: 3 & 4 run 90mph
    Class C: 5 & 6 Run 72mph = Can you picture 20 PLUS BOATS

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Bill I think your boats perfect for class 3 as your set up, asking you to change anything would be crazy at this point and I would not even suggest it. My point was (IMHO) the class structure (1 to 6) is pretty damm good at this point and why add, change or alter it.

But you have to admit, this class structure would make for some big ASSS classes..

That would be some big classes all right. I do believe classes over 12 to 15 boats are too big though. Just personal opinion....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Maybe in todays circle track racing, not 20 years ago

4. Collapse Details

Guy's sit back, relax and let Smitty, Louie and I get our $hit together. We first must address some issues from The Awards Dinner then we'll get to the classes. We're gettin' a little older and things take a little longer to sort out than they used to. You have our word we will address these issues within a week. Thanks for understanding. By the way, GREAT to see everybody again. Thanks for attending THE PARTY!
    .......Augie Pensa.......

The Godfather

5. Collapse Details

Hey Augie, great to see you as well. As you can see, we are all just getting excited ready to run hard
    Dr. Gary

6. Collapse Details
    Charter Member
    Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    That would be some big classes all right. I do believe classes over 12 to 15 boats are too big though. Just personal opinion....
    DISAGREE....The F1 and F2 classes had more than 20 boats in each class at many races from 01-03.In the early to mid 90's, the A and B classes had more than 20 boats in each class as well.

I remember the 1994 Key West Worlds....34 A boats and 27 B boats...most classes back then usually had over 12 boats.

The most fun that I ever had racing was coming out of the harbor in Key West headed to turn one during the A Class start with boats all over the place.It was wild...the team that I was a part of finished 17th in the first race..and 9th in the second race.Based on the quantity and quality of the competition;we were very happy with the results!

7. Collapse Details

Today's courses are too tight and the speeds are too high to run 20 into turn 1. You could not run even 10 big Vees or Cats into the first turn at Patchogue, St Clair, Cambridge, Harrison and many other venues. You need point to point races for huge classes to be safe.

8. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Under APBA's format, many of their races were on short courses-Daytona was similar to Point Pleasant, no one complained about 25 F1's or F2's going into a turn. Offshore has gotten so use to so few boats in a class that when we get a good number in a class its considered unsafe? Its racing, not a Poker Run.

9. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert/Competitor/Charter Member
    [QUOTE=Wahoo 214;445818]Today's courses are too tight and I can not get around turn 1 in Cambridge........

Dean you are right
    The Michigan Madman
    url]www.crockettmarineengines.com[/url]

10. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post

NOT !!!!!!

I have to ask you to stop right there Rick !!!

I don't care what you combine to reduce classes, but it was fought way too long to do away with the Letter Format.

As I remember, it was very confusing to the scorers when the letters were called out. B sounding like D etc.

Stick to the Class Numbers 1 thru ???

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Shafts View Post
    Under APBA's format, many of their races were on short courses-Daytona was similar to Point Pleasant, no one complained about 25 F1's or F2's going into a turn. Offshore has gotten so use to so few boats in a class that when we get a good number in a class its considered unsafe? Its racing, not a Poker Run.
    You can widen a turn in the ocean, but u can't move a seawall in a river. For fleets that size, events would need to move away from shore and I'm fine with that.

12. Collapse Details
    Wink
    [QUOTE=Tyler Crockett;445889]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    Today's courses are too tight and I can not get around turn 1 in Cambridge........

Tyler,
    the first step to recovery is admit u have a problem. Back away from the shine and admit it. You were driving both times!

Dean you are right

13. Collapse Details

Competitor
    WAHOO, I agree. I guess we should run more ocean races! We've become a victim of our own success, too many boats is a GOOD problem!

14. Collapse Details

Ocean races, now where talking!!!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES View Post
    NOT !!!!!!

I have to ask you to stop right there Rick !!!

I don't care what you combine to reduce classes, but it was fought way too long to do away with the Letter Format.

As I remember, it was very confusing to the scorers when the letters were called out. B sounding like D etc.

Stick to the Class Numbers 1 thru ???

I only used those "letters" for example purposes only.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    Today's courses are too tight and the speeds are too high to run 20 into turn 1. You could not run even 10 big Vees or Cats into the first turn at Patchogue, St Clair, Cambridge, Harrison and many other venues. You need point to point races for huge classes to be safe.
    Not to start chit.... but with some of the courses run, Can anyone explain the difference to me between an offshore race and a hydroplane race??

Answer... a Mystic has more advertising space than an unlimited hydro.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

17. Collapse Details

A Mystic can run in waves bigger than 10 inch's

18. Collapse Details

It's great to see everyone all wound up this early. The disscussion was simply to combine the class 2 and class 3 boats in a single class. There were not enough of the representing teams present to even have a disscussion. We will get the effected boats on a call and work it out. I don't want to add more classes. Less is better. ABC Not. The fans are confused enough. With that said carry on. Smitty
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by R&S OFFSHORE View Post
    When did Smitty come up with this idea before the alcohol or after the alcohol Howard, R&S Racing
    Before.
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

20. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    come on boss we want a 89.77 mph class.??lololo
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions