Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    how come they went to all that trouble to make an engine and they left the dry sump pump, belt driven on the outside like they forgot about it????
    My guess is that they are using some existing pieces. There are a couple of DOHC/4V platforms based around the BBC. If Merc truly wanted to do something profound, they'd have exhumed the Torque project. It was all gear-driven off the front drives- oil, PS and water.

Turbo V-12's?

2. Collapse Details

Nice to see something a bit different for a change..

3. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=masher44;438480]265 what a joke. Real turbos are coming out of Joplin this year. Merc may need to twist up a tad bit more[/QUOTE)

Yes they are and they are SWEET looking

4. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=Chris;438571]Partially.

You're no longer dealing with a series of explosions exhausting out the back of the exhaust. Each pulse is somewhat "captured" inside the manifold. The turbo's exhaust is more of a stream.[/Q]

A buddy of mine's V10 twin turbo Viper, no mufflers, but I think it still has cats on it. It is a different sound for sure

5. Collapse Details

More cool stuff from the show, for those of you who can't be there, http://speedonthewater.com.

Sorry I haven't had the time to add photos.

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    My guess is that they are using some existing pieces. There are a couple of DOHC/4V platforms based around the BBC. If Merc truly wanted to do something profound, they'd have exhumed the Torque project. It was all gear-driven off the front drives- oil, PS and water.

Turbo V-12's?
    Turboing a v12 makes more sense than a v8 as ( depending on the firing order) you can get a very nice even pulse from the 6 cyl on either side to the split pulse turbo's
    not to mention get your 60 degree vee as well.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by E Dock DD View Post
    Because of all the thermodynamic processes going on in the turbo, the exhaust gases are cooled as they pass thru it. As a result, the turbo acts like a muffler. The intake air gets heated up as it is compressed in a turbo or supercharger.
    Thanks E Dock DD

8. Collapse Details

The turbo bikes are exhausted straight out of the turbo also there is a Program on Speed Channel "Pass Time" the Turbo cars run very well and it is funny to see massive burnouts without the sound usually associated with this from a normal aspirated or blown drag engine.

the first law of Thermodynamics's is also seen here where some of the Exhaust heat is traded for the work of driving/spinning the Turbine section.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...29233920951462
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    More cool stuff from the show, for those of you who can't be there, http://speedonthewater.com.

Sorry I haven't had the time to add photos.

You KNOW how much we like pictures Matt

10. Collapse Details

It's the wave of the future... 4 valve per cylinder is also the future of emissions on boats! 1300 hp, fresh water cooling, aluminum block, dual overhead cams, turbo's.... someone gets it! Just my $.02...

I may not ever be able to afford these puppies but I think they're taking a step in the right direction with the technology and hope that it funnels down.

Also, I agree with Sean that it could result in the phasing out of the 850/175/1200 sci etc if it's successful....

11. Collapse Details

E Dock
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Partially.

You're no longer dealing with a series of explosions exhausting out the back of the exhaust. Each pulse is somewhat "captured" inside the manifold. The turbo's exhaust is more of a stream.
    I would agree that this would help perform the silencing.

12. Collapse Details

I just read this on the press release; "From its expansive two-stroke outboard experience, Mercury Racing employed pulse-separated exhaust tuning"

Pulse charging has been around for a long time, glad to see Merc putting it to good use!!! However, pulsecharging has its biggest benefits in engines with cylinders that are multiples of 3 (3,6,9,12).... Anybody remember the Grand National....wink wink...

13. Collapse Details

yet they didn't use that explansive knowledge to put out a 400HP

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    I just read this on the press release; "From its expansive two-stroke outboard experience, Mercury Racing employed pulse-separated exhaust tuning"

Pulse charging has been around for a long time, glad to see Merc putting it to good use!!! However, pulsecharging has its biggest benefits in engines with cylinders that are multiples of 3 (3,6,9,12).... Anybody remember the Grand National....wink wink...
    and all the Pulse tuning exhaust patents belonged to OMC

15. Collapse Details

Nice!!!

16. Collapse Details

Nice!!!

Didn't now you could patent physics! lol

17. Collapse Details

how come they went to all that trouble to make an engine and they left the dry sump pump, belt driven on the outside like they forgot about it????
    i think it takes more power to spin a dry-sump oil pump than what a serp belt system can handle.

18. Collapse Details

saw this baby today, BADASS, supposedly no lag because exhaust ports are separated in to two chambers per turbo and keeps everything spinning sequentially....that new drive is.....SHORT....need to mount the engines 2" deeper in the boat.....nice for CG......

19. Collapse Details

Would love to see when a high octane tune/computer is out for these motors. Also, anyone find out if the #8drive will bolt to a 6 transom assy? Hopefully they offer the drive as a unit separate from the motor.
    Last edited by Coolerman; 02-12-2010 at 08:05 PM.

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    checked out that motor today . . . . sick . . . absolutely sick.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat