Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Jillian Michaels sued over diet supplement
    Jillian Michaels sued over diet supplement

Feb 10, 1:51 PM (ET)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Jillian Michaels has been sued for alleged false advertising by a woman who claims she was duped into buying a diet supplement endorsed by the celebrity trainer.
    Christie Christensen of Lake Elsinore, Calif., is seeking class-action status for the case she filed Tuesday in Los Angeles. Michaels is a hard-charging, no-nonsense trainer best-known as one of the stars of NBC's hit reality show, "The Biggest Loser."
    Christensen's lawsuit claims she bought a product called "Jillian Michaels Maximum Strength Calorie Control" last month and that it has failed to lessen her appetite or cause her to lose weight as advertised.
    Michaels' picture and endorsement appear on the packaging, touting her as "America's Toughest Trainer." The product and a Web site advertising include the claim, "Two Capsules Before Main Meals and You Lose Weight ... That's It!"
    "Ms. Michaels knows better - taking two pills before eating does not miraculously cause weight loss," the lawsuit states.
    The Web site and packaging however note that the statements haven't been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Christensen is also suing Utah-based Basic Research, which manufactures and markets several diet and weight loss products endorsed by Michaels.
    Michaels' publicist, Heidi Krupp, did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment Wednesday. A representative of Basic Research said the company may issue a statement later Wednesday.
    "Calorie Control" is not among the products that NBC lists for sale on its "Biggest Loser" Web site, which include video games, DVDs and equipment, some bearing Michaels' image.
    "The Biggest Loser" has been a hit for NBC, often appearing in Nielsen Co.'s Top 20 rankings for prime-time TV programs.
    Christensen's suit seeks unspecified damages that are not expected to total more than $5 million. Her filing states she has "struggled with weight loss her entire life" and bought "Calorie Control" because of Michaels' endorsement.

How does she figure $5 million for what? What in her life changed?
    Run until it sounds expensive

2. Collapse Details

Abuse of our legal system. Nothing more.

This is one of those blatant examples of how people exploit the inherent fairness of our system. If we had "loser pays" as many countries do, this wouldn't happen. And half the lawyers out there would be unemployed. But then only the wealthy would have access to our legal system.

Sad.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Abuse of our legal system. Nothing more.

This is one of those blatant examples of how people exploit the inherent fairness of our system. If we had "loser pays" as many countries do, this wouldn't happen. And half the lawyers out there would be unemployed. But then only the wealthy would have access to our legal system.

Sad.
    Congress has the ability to control these types of lawsuits....but since congress is nothing but a bunch of out-of-work lawyers who realize when their current gig is up will need to be either lawyers again or potentially promoted lawyers (judges) then they have no incentive to change the system.

4. Collapse Details

This one goes far beyond tort reform and limits on payouts. This is frivolous at best- but a jury is likely going to give her the $$.

I've always maintained that the plaintiff should be entitled to the liquidated damages, but punitive damages should go to some sort of victim assistance fund. That would stop these "lottery winnings" payouts by juries.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
    Congress has the ability to control these types of lawsuits....but since congress is nothing but a bunch of out-of-work lawyers who realize when their current gig is up will need to be either lawyers again or potentially promoted lawyers (judges) then they have no incentive to change the system.
    bottom line

6. Collapse Details

Maybe there should be a law against selling bogus weight-loss products...
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

7. Collapse Details

or a law against fat people....

8. Collapse Details

Registered
    A good defense lawyer will show that the plaintiff has no damages and will get it tossed. He'll show the fine print on the package and the money-back guarantee.

Unless the judge is up for election and has a bunch of fat people (or is a fatty him/herself) and wants to make a statement against the fat-loss supplement industry.

If it gets class action, look out for your nutriceutical stocks...

9. Collapse Details

I was surprised when I seen Jillian endorsing this. I thought she made enough money without tauting snake oil. I agree 98% of diet products are bogus. I also feel doctors preform way to many gastric bi pass surgeries. Most people never keep the weight off from them and there extremely dangers. Doctors should push healthy lifestyles, oh yea but they wouldn't make $50k for a few hours work.

Everybody wants the easy way, and there is none. Calorie control and exercise is the only thing that works. I guess thats true for suing, first this lady wanted to take a pill to get skinny. Know shes suing to get rich.

10. Collapse Details

After goggling her, I hang my head high knowing I had no clue who she was.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    After goggling her, I hang my head high knowing I had no clue who she was.
    I didn't know AND I didn't google her. Or goggle. Nothing.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

12. Collapse Details

She likes women, so Marks chances of Goggling her are pretty slim.....even if he isn't!
    Parabellum FJ²B

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    She likes women,

She seems like the type.

14. Collapse Details

ok, deep breath people. Story said it was going to be a class action not to exceed 5 mil. If the stuff doesnt work, how many bottles did he sell?

Suppose someone cameout with an ECM that would turn any motor in to a 1500 hp monstor on pump gas. Everybody from SOS, OSO, SF, etc bought them up. a month later engines start blowing up left and right.. You would be running with pitchforks screaming for a lynching.

You know damn well no ECM is going to double your hp on 87 octane, but the guy has charts and graphs and dyno numbers and Don Aranow mysteriously came back from the grave to advertise it, so you bought it.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

15. Collapse Details

If you took her magic pill and died, you analogy would fit. If you bought a tuner for your engine and all that happened was you got nothing, you just got ripped off. Your damages are what you spent on the device.

16. Collapse Details

I Googled, Goggled and Phragled her. I've got 5 bucks that says she used to be a guy.

17. Collapse Details

Looks good to me

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    If you took her magic pill and died, you analogy would fit. If you bought a tuner for your engine and all that happened was you got nothing, you just got ripped off. Your damages are what you spent on the device.

For us normal people...pretty much. But since this country is hell bent on legislating Darwinism out of existance.. Well it's not a crime to be stupid, but is a civil crime to prey on stupid people.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    For us normal people...pretty much. But since this country is hell bent on legislating Darwinism out of existance.. Well it's not a crime to be stupid, but is a civil crime to prey on stupid people.
    No, but it is a crime to lie. While these diet pills come with a disclaimer, they are all basically "snake oil."

I put them in the same (illegal) catagory as ExTenze and Nigerian bankers!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

20. Collapse Details

I have heard good things about the Nigerian Extenze though.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.