Thread: Car Fax

1. Collapse Details
    Car Fax
    What does it show? I'm selling an old beater pickup I have and a guy who looked at it yesterday wrote the VIN down to do a car fax. I'm thinking an 87 Chevy for $1500? He was asking questions that I guess could be answered on carfax? How long have I owned it? Has it ever been wrecked? etc...Maybe to see if I was telling the truth?
    I've had the truck for a couple of years... bought it for $500 with a blown motor. I put a used motor in it and decided to keep it because it ran and drove so well. I don't have anything to hide, just curious.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails truck1.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Car fax should be called Car Hoax! If I have to I will get one for my customer. It will tell them that it has 20 concerns for free, the pay $25.00 and it will tell them it had 12 owners and 8 oil changes, that is if the dealer reports all the work they do. But if it was totaled or flooded someone bought it before the insurance company got a hold of the title and you will never know untill it is to late. If you can tell, I have ran into a few problems thru the years and they never showed up on Car fax!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Shah Mat View Post
    What does it show? I'm selling an old beater pickup I have and a guy who looked at it yesterday wrote the VIN down to do a car fax. I'm thinking an 87 Chevy for $1500? He was asking questions that I guess could be answered on carfax? How long have I owned it? Has it ever been wrecked? etc...Maybe to see if I was telling the truth?
    I've had the truck for a couple of years... bought it for $500 with a blown motor. I put a used motor in it and decided to keep it because it ran and drove so well. I don't have anything to hide, just curious.

GM used to give you like $2500 or $3000 towards a new GM product for those trucks due to the saddlebag gas tank problems (tanks are mounted outside the frame rails and in a side impact they had a chance of going BOOM!).

If a guy is doing a carfax on a $1500 car he is a nut. You buy vehicles based on what they look like in person/how they run today not on what happened in 1988........(at that price point).

4. Collapse Details

I sold a Salvage VW Jetta a few years back that I had repaired. Sold it with a salvage repaired title. The guy that bought it from me ran a Carfax on it and it came back clean. He needed some warranty repair work done a year and half later and checked it again and it still showed a clean title with no repair history. It is worthless. I bought this car with a title stamped salvage and sold it with a title stating salvage rebuilt. Jeff Wurl

5. Collapse Details

Car Fax = just one more way to redistribute the wealth of stupid people. IMHO
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

6. Collapse Details

It must have passed I guess..... Guy just called back and want to come and test drive it.

7. Collapse Details

I generally run a Car Fox for older vehicles
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

8. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post

If a guy is doing a carfax on a $1500 car he is a nut. You buy vehicles based on what they look like in person/how they run today not on what happened in 1988........(at that price point).
    I carfax every thing before I go look when I am car shopping. Looking at a jeep for my daughter, carfaxed it and found out it had been totaled, saved me a bunch of time.
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.