Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    42' OL vs. 46' OL
    Hey everyone... I started another thread about the 42' OL epoxy and made some progress so thought I'd start a more specific thread...

So now the question is, 42' OL Legacy vs 46' OL both with 1075's ad #6's or at least both boats with #6's

For those who have owned or who have ridden in both with this kind of setup please let me know your thoughts. What did you like or dislike about either one, advantages and disadvantages...non-biased please.

If you don't feel comforatble stating your experiences online please feel free to PM me.

Trying to help a friend make an consious decision on what his next boat will be...

Thanks in Advance!

Frank

2. Collapse Details

If anyone has either of these boats, let me know. I hereby volunteer my services as an impartial judge To help Frank in his quest. So I will need to arrange a ride in both boats. A truly selfless act, but anything to help a fellow board member and powerboat enthusiast.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    If anyone has either of these boats, let me know. I hereby volunteer my services as an impartial judge To help Frank in his quest. So I will need to arrange a ride in both boats. A truly selfless act, but anything to help a fellow board member and powerboat enthusiast.
    Thanks dude!!! Sounds like a sweet idea!!!

BUT, it isn't for me, it's for a friend...so I may as well join you on the "test rides" so we can put the sticks to the wood!

4. Collapse Details

Sounds like a plan.. bet we could get your sis to photo-document the tests too....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

5. Collapse Details

I owned an 42 from 2001, non-epoxy. I have also driven the 46 epoxy. Both boats are great boats. Biggest difference is weight and flex of the hull.

The epoxy boat will feel more of the bumps as the epoxy does not flex like normal fiberglass.

The other issue is the length. When you are out in rough water, nothing beats length.

I enjoyed running both boats. If the difference is epoxy versus non-epoxy, I would go for a ride in the epoxy boat just to feel the stiffness. But over-all, you cannot go wrong with either.

6. Collapse Details

I have a friend that owned a 42' with #6's and now he owns a 46' with 1075's and #6's. He has told me that his 42' was a great boat, but his 46' is better in pretty much everyway. I know this isn't very helpful but this guy has north of 150 hours on his boat and does a lot of poker runs and he just feels at home behind the wheel of the 46.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    I owned an 42 from 2001, non-epoxy. I have also driven the 46 epoxy. Both boats are great boats. Biggest difference is weight and flex of the hull.

The epoxy boat will feel more of the bumps as the epoxy does not flex like normal fiberglass.

The other issue is the length. When you are out in rough water, nothing beats length.

I enjoyed running both boats. If the difference is epoxy versus non-epoxy, I would go for a ride in the epoxy boat just to feel the stiffness. But over-all, you cannot go wrong with either.
    Thanks for the info!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xlr8by View Post
    I have a friend that owned a 42' with #6's and now he owns a 46' with 1075's and #6's. He has told me that his 42' was a great boat, but his 46' is better in pretty much everyway. I know this isn't very helpful but this guy has north of 150 hours on his boat and does a lot of poker runs and he just feels at home behind the wheel of the 46.
    Thanks xlr8by!!! Do you think your friend would be willing to speak with my buddy?

8. Collapse Details

I have a friend with a 46 limited with 1075's for sale on a myco that runs I think 126. email me and I will put you in touch with him.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bgchuby01 View Post
    I have a friend with a 46 limited with 1075's for sale on a myco that runs I think 126. email me and I will put you in touch with him.
    Your right they run around 126 with 1075's. I also know of a mint one for sale as well. I think he'll like the twin 6's alot better than the triple NXT's on a 46.

10. Collapse Details

my friends I think is an 2006 and is blue in color with a stereo system that you have never seen in any boat. I think the stereo alone was 30 grand. It has the OL full cover and the main color is blue. The trailer is a white myco.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Team Tsunami View Post
    Your right they run around 126 with 1075's. I also know of a mint one for sale as well. I think he'll like the twin 6's alot better than the triple NXT's on a 46.
    The boat runs faster with T-1075's than triple 700's??

I think we were told the opposite but I could be wrong? The trip 700's ran roughly 10 mph slower than that.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bgchuby01 View Post
    I don't have your email address, can you please PM me the contact info, I'm sure my buddy would like to talk with him.

Frank

13. Collapse Details

jeffymurray@aol.com and my cell is 909-816-1101

14. Collapse Details

Thanks Jeff, I'm going to give my buddy your info to follow up directly.

15. Collapse Details

Aren't they the same hull size? 42 is specd at 42'5, 46 is 45'6 with a "bustle". If you take off 3 feet of bustle don't you have the same boat???

16. Collapse Details

I have towed the boat lots of times and have driven it from Miami to Key West, It runs spectacular. When you open the engine hatch the whole starboard side is 5 large amps encased in plexiglass. To my best memory the engines are near their time to rebuild. Owner of the boat also has a 2009 40SS skater also in blue.

17. Collapse Details

I was always told by lots of people that the 46 limited was the best riding OL out there

18. Collapse Details

sorry only had pictures of it when I picked it up from lake cumberland marine. I never took pics with the cover off
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1404.jpg   DSCN1408.jpg   DSCN1411.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
    Aren't they the same hull size? 42 is specd at 42'5, 46 is 45'6 with a "bustle". If you take off 3 feet of bustle don't you have the same boat???
    Seeing them in person a few times I don't think the bussle is that big... maybe 1-2 ft but the bottom is completely different and I think it has a wider beam. Overall it's a bigger boat both visually and on my friends lift.

I've been on a 42' Vinyl boat at 105 mph with a pair of 1050 sterlings and was on the 46' with trip 700's and it's a totally different boat.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    The boat runs faster with T-1075's than triple 700's??

I think we were told the opposite but I could be wrong? The trip 700's ran roughly 10 mph slower than that.
    Well I believe when that boat was new it ran 120 with the triples. But those numbers for the 1075's are correct in a 46. The 46 I know of for sale is sitting in my buddies shop and is mint. It's Herb Chamber's boat. Also def tell him to come up and check out the 42 with 1075's. If you come with him let me know Frank!