Thread: Old Bertrams

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Old Bertrams
    Registered
    Question
    I realize by comparison to the Bertrams being talked about in this thread that the Bertram 24 is just a tadpole but does anyone on here have any knowledge of the origins of Bertram 24 hull. They were produced as a recreational craft in the early 70's but I think the hull itself was developed prior to that. It is very different from both the 20 & 25 models. The hull has a different beam (8 ft). It has a 24 degree deadrise and is V'd to the heel. Even the strakes (there are 2) are different. The rear 3/4 of the bottom has a striking resemblance to 2 boats I have previously owned (24 ft. Cigarette & 25 ft. Magnum). I'd post pics of the bottom taken when it was upside down last month but I have no URL to link. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Collapse Details

Bertram never copied anything. They had Russ Specht, Lee Dana etc., who were the cream of the crop, engineer-wise. It was just another boat. "Hey, guys, draw me up a 24' x 7' 7" utility boat". "OK".

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    Thanks for your input Brownie. Whomever designed the bottom had to of taken a page from the Magnum and Cigarette hulls of the day. This one is 24' x 8' and I figure it is going to make a great rough water "old fart" boat. I have restyled the deck, expanded the engine well and had the bottom, sides and deck regelled. The one I have is 39 years old and looks like brand new. As soon as the snow goes in the spring I am going to completely refit her with new everything.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Bertram never copied anything. They had Russ Specht, Lee Dana etc., who were the cream of the crop, engineer-wise. It was just another boat. "Hey, guys, draw me up a 24' x 7' 7" utility boat". "OK".
    Having met Lee Dana over 37 years ago - I was impressed by his knowledge and how he took time to talk to me along with Sammy James, and Keith's father who worked at Bertram at the time - Quality people building quality boats and Yachts. My brother had one of these utility boats too.

Phil

5. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by NNRT View Post
    Having met Lee Dana over 37 years ago - I was impressed by his knowledge and how he took time to talk to me along with Sammy James, and Keith's father who worked at Bertram at the time - Quality people building quality boats and Yachts. My brother had one of these utility boats too.

Phil
    Phil.....you are obviously talking about Keith Hazell, whose father worked for Bertram. For those who don't know, Keith was one of the very best of the throttlemen and riggers of that golden era.

He also helped Jerry Jacoby win his World Championship in 82. He raced on everything from Bertrams, with Howard Quam to Cigarettes and was always in the hunt at the front of the pack. One of the good guys who unfortuntately passed away at an earlier age.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

6. Collapse Details

Correct Charlie !

7. Collapse Details

Charlie,

I believe that Keith and Jerry won the 1981 World Championship in Ajac Hawk. He also won the World Championship as throttleman for Tony Garcia in 1983 in the Arneson Special, Eddie Trotta's old Cougar.

John

8. Collapse Details

Registered
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here is a rear bottom view

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here is a front view

10. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    Charlie,

I believe that Keith and Jerry won the 1981 World Championship in Ajac Hawk. He also won the World Championship as throttleman for Tony Garcia in 1983 in the Arneson Special, Eddie Trotta's old Cougar.

John
    Thanks John.....I should have checked the HORBA site rather than rely on cleaning out cobwebs in my memory banks.

www.historicraceboats.com
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

11. Collapse Details

Kind of looks like a Seacraft . Any relation Brownie or Charlie ?

12. Collapse Details

Like girls, boats all look pretty much the same upside down..................

13. Collapse Details

Registered
    LOL @Brownie
    Here she is right side up:
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

14. Collapse Details

24 Bertram
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

15. Collapse Details

Keith Also throttled for Howard Quam in his 38 Bertram Flap Jack - am not sure if he throttled in the Active cat too

Phil

16. Collapse Details

I gotta remember that one

17. Collapse Details

You are right about that.

LOL Thanks i needed that.

18. Collapse Details

What are the holes in the foredeck for?

By the looks of the gel work it looks like this is going to be beautiful restoration .Can't wait to see it done.

19. Collapse Details

They built a Volkswagen bus themed model of that 24' with a foredeck that lifted, and side canvas that filled in the gap so that you could stand up and pee. Real men pee over the side, even on the trailer.

20. Collapse Details

Registered
    Tommymonza - one hole is for the lifting ring and the other for the running light.
    The guy who did the gel work did an awesome job. I could not be happier with the results