Thread: First gun

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    First gun
    In 1986 Cigarette gave new life to the flat deck 38....The Top Gun model made it's debute at the New York Boat Show, Nov. 1986. This is where my boat's journey begins........Hope you enjoy the ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0014.JPG   the%20spy1.jpg   spy11.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

early years with 420's & Trs's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spy3.jpg   gregbh1.jpg   boat51992-2.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Bryce, keep 'em coming!!!
    I love this sort of stuff!
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Bryce, keep 'em coming!!!
    I love this sort of stuff!
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by First Gun View Post
    In 1986 Cigarette gave new life to the flat deck 38....The Top Gun model made it's debute at the New York Boat Show, Nov. 1986. This is where my boat's journey begins........Hope you enjoy the ride!
    Wow, I didnt realize that was the boat you re-did!! Looks good back then, Looks great now!
    Jr.

6. Collapse Details

Keep those photos coming. Some neat old stuff there!!!

7. Collapse Details

After restoring an old basket case 27 Magnum it was quickly decided that this was not the boat for what I wanted to do.( my good friends are running 38ft and 35ft Cigs. )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-4-2005-01.jpg   10-4-2005-04.jpg   40600003.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

So the magnum went up for sale and the hunt for a Cig. in my budget was on
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 40600002.jpg   40600001.jpg   helm 034.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Please don't stop know!!!!!! We need this history here and that boat is a Icon that should be documented. Thanks for sharing.
    And welcome to the site.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by First Gun View Post
    how long have you owned the first gun ??

todd
    Big Seas and Deep Vee's
    36' Deep Impact trip 300's, 19' Baron surface drive
    Ada Logistics your Flatbed Pro's

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Cool, I remember the "Instigator" boat very well from over the years. I had no idea it was technically the first Top Gun though. I've seen your boat since you've redone a lot of it, and you've done a really nice job.

12. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by baronmarine View Post
    how long have you owned the first gun ??

todd
    Good question. I recognize the "Instigator" boat. I'm going off of memory (which is blurry), but that boat was owned by a guy named Greg Chu. I may be off on the name...but I bought a mini-hawk from him 5 years or so back. Really nice guy and he told me about the boat and that it was in some coffee table book about HiPo boats. he never mentioned that it was #1.

Great thread Bryce! Take your time telling the story, we'l be here for a while!!Looking forward to the rest of it!!

Craig

13. Collapse Details

After looking at a Bullet in Ft.Myers and a Cafe in Montana, a Top Gun needing a little love surfaced in Miami.It was Feb.2007......a call to Ed Cozzi who said the hull was sound, motors and drive line appeared to be ok but was unable to check out due to state of uncompletion,so he cautioned me not to assume they were 100% ok with 0 hours as indicated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails port[1].jpg   motors[1].jpg   drives[1].jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Did I mention it had been stored outside in a sand lot for quite some time?
    I was willing to gamble on the old resin bucket...I'm a sucker for old school, it seemed in my budget and a simple project compared to the one I just finished.........In 2005 I think Hurricane Wilma caused the untimely passing of a rare 35 Top Gun which became the donor of the updated cockpit,gauges,hatch,swimplatform,and some other accessories that are now found on the boat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1986 top gun 017.jpg   1986 top gun 018.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

Keep going with the story on the Gun. I love it.

But, please start another thread on the Magnum. That is also a a great looking boat, and another model that at one time in my life I'd like to have in my stable.
    Almost bought one a few years ago.
    I'm glad I didn't, but I still wish I did.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

16. Collapse Details

We're all listening.....

17. Collapse Details

Please keep the story going. You have done a fantastic job getting it to where it is today! I remember inquiring on it when it was for sale. Greg was his name. His e-mail still sticks out in my mind -it was "thespy" @ something.com and he sent me the attached pictures. I passed thinking I didn't want to get into a project like that at the time, and went on to purchase a 28 Open that subsequently turned into a major project on the order of your Magnum or more.

Not sure if you have these or not, but maybe a little trip down memory lane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Gun 1.jpg   First Gun 2.jpg   First Gun 3.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

Last ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Gun 4.jpg   First Gun 5.jpg   First Gun 6.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Damdonzi, thanks for contributing those photos are some I have not seen before.
    Buoy,I,ll start working on it soon.
    Now on with the story.....The deal was made and the rig was nursed home on the trailer that had seen better days.A good cleaning and punch list to get the motors ready to fire up was next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1986 top gun 002.jpg   1986 top gun 004.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Then my buddy Jim (Zero Patience) came by to see how bad of a basket case I brought home this time It was quickly decided that a better trailer was fast in my future if I was to be traveling with him and Chasin' Cash.........Lucky for me Jim was itching to build his own trailer and just needed to find a buyer for his old Cig trailerno brainer......sold my old one to a local shrimper.......During all the evaluation of this new project ,Jim said I should call Brownie @ Stainless Marine and see if he could give us some history on the boat.The next day the call was made......Brownie remembered the boat as the first one,and how they almost did not finish it in time for it's debut at the New York Boat Show.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 40600001.jpg   40600003.jpg   40600004.jpg