Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    My suggestion would be to cut the vertical surfaces on the inside. I would try not to mess up the areas of the deck from the rail up including the top horizontal section. If you can make your joint/ blend repair in the inside vertical it can potentially be covered by an upholstered panel. It can then retain the original lines and profile as it does know.

Jim,

I am trying to picture this, but I still need to get the deck cap off at some point in the rear section, I dont believe I will be able to get the new transom boards in, in one piece, unless I get the top piece out of there? Also, remember these boats are very tight to work in, only 6'7" wide, I think I can do a more thorough job of getting the transom in correctly if I can access it from all sides. I agree covering it with upholstery would be an easier way out, and the cosmetics on the exterior may not be easy, but at least I can do the external cosmetic portion of it standing upright with beer in hand, not hanging upside down in the bilge trying to glass things together?

Rick

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    Cool,

I read the thread, but have not seen it lately, I will go back and look. When you say 2 layers of glass, thats it?? I was thinking of using some type of core? I would like some strengh to it, since inevitably someone will walk on it to get to the bracket/swim platform. Also considering something like this vs. just the knees. This was done on a 24 Sonic twin outboard recently.
    Rick , all Skater O/B motor wells are custom made with the exception of the 28 and there is no core in any of them and if you make the pannels that i suggested shape , cut and fit to size adding another 2 layers of glass and tabbing in the perimeter with multiple layer's of fabric along with doing something like you show in your pics you will have more then enough beef & if you only go with the knees you should still be fine . Rick if you still are not sure of this idea then by all means add core , and like i said this is how i have done them in the past working at Skater .
    Last edited by Offshore Ginger; 01-15-2010 at 02:37 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Rick , all Skater O/B motor wells are custom made with the exception of the 28 and there is no core in any of them and if you make the pannels that i suggested shape , cut and fit to size adding another 2 layers of glass and tapping in the perimeter with multiple layer's of fabric along with doing something like you show in your pics you will have more then enough beef & if you only go with the knees you should still be fine . Rick if you still are not sure of this idea then by all means add core , and like i said this is how i have done them in the past working at Skater .
    Thanks,

I will keep that in mind, especially if I do the full framing. Anywhere I can save weight is good. What type of glass would you use to make the panels? I assume you would lay them up on something flat(or in the shape I want them), gel, then 2 layers of glass, cut to fit, install with tabbing, then glass over the entire area with 2 more layers?

4. Collapse Details

Thanks,

I will keep that in mind, especially if I do the full framing. Anywhere I can save weight is good. What type of glass would you use to make the panels? I assume you would lay them up on something flat(or in the shape I want them), gel, then 2 layers of glass, cut to fit, install with tabbing, then glass over the entire area with 2 more layers?
    Rick, i would use #1708 and yes do your layup on something flat and wait to jell after you have glassed and tooled ( dialed ) everything in . Rick , when doing these pannels you can use a lot of different material's to do your layup on , from packing tape to starboard , which glass does not stick to .

5. Collapse Details

Man, you and Tim have been reading my mind...

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And if you don't want to do all that yourself, convince Artie to do it for a good price.....

Thanks for all your assistance Artie. Believe me when I say what you and Dave do is very appreciated by all....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

7. Collapse Details

Rick, i would use #1708 and yes do your layup on something flat and wait to jell after you have glassed and tooled ( dialed ) everything in . Rick , when doing these pannels you can use a lot of different material's to do your layup on , from packing tape to starboard , which glass does not stick to .
    OK,

Cool, Turns out I may not dig into this project this winter after all. I ran into some unforeseeen Tax obligations, fuggin State of CT taxes your vehicles, and I forgot to pay them or leave a forwarding address when I split town 9 years ago. I had 3 cars, 3 boats, and 3 trailers when I left, so 9 registrations, with 9 years of interest and penalties Just got the notice on Friday that I owe them a bunch of coin. SOOOOO, I will reinforce it with an old plan that I had made up(Stainless rod with clevises off the upper motor mount going down to a bracket that spans the stringers) to get me thru next summer. I may still lay up a panel to cap the well though, cuz this boat has such a low profile, it wants to take water into the well in the ruff, and coming off plane.

Thanks guys.

Rick

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    OK,

Cool, Turns out I may not dig into this project this winter after all. I ran into some unforeseeen Tax obligations, fuggin State of CT taxes your vehicles, and I forgot to pay them or leave a forwarding address when I split town 9 years ago. I had 3 cars, 3 boats, and 3 trailers when I left, so 9 registrations, with 9 years of interest and penalties Just got the notice on Friday that I owe them a bunch of coin. SOOOOO, I will reinforce it with an old plan that I had made up(Stainless rod with clevises off the upper motor mount going down to a bracket that spans the stringers) to get me thru next summer. I may still lay up a panel to cap the well though, cuz this boat has such a low profile, it wants to take water into the well in the ruff, and coming off plane.

Thanks guys.

Rick
    Get a tax attorney a settle for a lot less. They should take a one-time lump that is substantially smaller.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    And if you don't want to do all that yourself, convince Artie to do it for a good price.....

Thanks for all your assistance Artie. Believe me when I say what you and Dave do is very appreciated by all....
    Paul thank you ever so much .

10. Collapse Details

OK,

Thanks guys.

Rick
    Rick . $hit happens and we all hope to see your project continue sometime soon in the future .

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Get a tax attorney a settle for a lot less. They should take a one-time lump that is substantially smaller.
    Rick, I've got a real good buddy who's a tax attorney in Miami. He should be able to help or refer you to someone who can. I'll PM you his info tomorrow when I'm in the office.

Good luck dude!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Rick, I've got a real good buddy who's a tax attorney in Miami. He should be able to help or refer you to someone who can. I'll PM you his info tomorrow when I'm in the office.

Good luck dude!

OK,

Cool. I just called the collector to try and come to a compromise, but it seems they are closed for MLK day Its not a HUGE amout of $$, but it is enough to stop me from doing the project Correctly(Bracket alone is like $2000), being as its right after the Holidays, and our new Puppy is bleeding me dry with Vet Bills etc., and just had to rereg. all of my vehicles in Fl being my Birthday is the end of the month. Well, here is a pic of the pup, since there may not be any boat pics for a bit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails harry.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Here is a crude drawing of my reinforcement plans, I already have a 1/4" thick aluminum plate over the entire transom. What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stringer setup2.jpg  
    Last edited by rchevelle71; 02-02-2010 at 02:53 PM.

14. Collapse Details

Gotta be better than nothing right? I man unless you end up breaking the stringer due to the pushing/pulling stress or the hole. I've seen a few O/B boats with an aluminum plate attached to the outside of the transom. How common is that? Is it generally just a band-aid for having a bum transom?

15. Collapse Details

Gotta be better than nothing right? I man unless you end up breaking the stringer due to the pushing/pulling stress or the hole. I've seen a few O/B boats with an aluminum plate attached to the outside of the transom. How common is that? Is it generally just a band-aid for having a bum transom?
    Good question and Rick does that mean everything is still on hold with the exception of the aluminum ?

16. Collapse Details

Good question and Rick does that mean everything is still on hold with the exception of the aluminum ?
    The Aluminum plate is already there, and covers the ENTIRE transom, including the inside of the splashwell(welded up and over). This boat originally had twins, and when it was converted to single, one of the previous owners plated it, he did a nice job, but I know if I do the transom eventually I dont need it. I plan on leaving it as is, just adding the rods to tie it back to the stringers. I may still do the transom, havent quite made up my mind yet. I got the CT taxes paid off last week, but now it is income tax time, the deciding factor will be how much I owe, or they owe me? But I need to make a decision soon, because I have a fun run on the west coast of FL march 6 which gives me time to do the reinforcement, but not the entire transom, if I decide to do the transom, I dont want to wait too long and lose the entire summer.

17. Collapse Details

I see what you are saying about the stringers, this thing doesnt have that kind of power The Plate can be there for 2 reasons, it can be a band aid, or it cen be used to spread the load across the transom.

18. Collapse Details

I see what you are saying about the stringers, this thing doesnt have that kind of power
    Yet... I saw you sniffing around SnF looking at some big hot rod motors!

19. Collapse Details

Yet... I saw you sniffing around SnF looking at some big hot rod motors!
    NOT ME

I learned my lesson with the hotrod 2.4(man that thig revved, til it blew up), its all stock for me now, A 300xs or 2 are stock merc motors arent they

20. Collapse Details

NOT ME

I learned my lesson with the hotrod 2.4(man that thig revved, til it blew up), its all stock for me now, A 300xs or 2 are stock merc motors arent they
    Someone I know (with a purple pantera, cough cough) yelled at me for suggesting I might convert my OB boat to 4 stroke...