Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    You need a job
    Is that a question, statement or offer?
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    Ok, i am a ford certified master diesel tech and a boat enthusiest. Every 6.0 is equipped with a block heater but not a cord. you need to just order the cord and follow the picture in the bag to install it. it can be a bear getting it throught the cradle. and i would only reccomend the ford genuine cord. your truck is not equpped with the cold weather package. i doubt you lost a fuse. but if you are going to replace the alternator go to an o'riley they offer a higher amperage alternator for less money.

also, everyone on here feel free to pm me with questions if needed i live and breathe the 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 and the new 6.7 It is all i do each and every day. i would love to review this entire thread and help but you guys seem to all be pointed in the correct direction. the 6.0 can be a great truck and ford is superior in initial quality. you just have to get over the little kinks. also, if you are close to me i can install an egr block off for half the cost of the kit. i have a talented machinist that makes stainless plugs in the many many egr coolers i have under my toolbox. that takes care of many things and brings them back to to not swallowing egr and acting more like a 7.3 I also love the 6.0 so much that i fix them and drive one every day.
    Right on. Thanks Fixxer! It's funny, I flat out love my 2004 F250 6.0. Just replaced the EGR and it's running pretty good again. I considered replacing the truck with something else and I can't do it. I like the truck too much. Hopefully with some luck, I'll be able to do upgrades as needed to keep it around longer than my old Pontiac (235k when I sold it)!

Your offer and insight is greatly appreciated!

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

3. Collapse Details

Is that a question, statement or offer?
    Question?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Right on. Thanks Fixxer! It's funny, I flat out love my 2004 F250 6.0. Just replaced the EGR and it's running pretty good again. I considered replacing the truck with something else and I can't do it. I like the truck too much. Hopefully with some luck, I'll be able to do upgrades as needed to keep it around longer than my old Pontiac (235k when I sold it)!

Your offer and insight is greatly appreciated!
    I love my 04 PSD as well, I am pretty close to upgrading to a 08-09.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    Question?
    Magic and dude: I would look into getting the egr deleted from your trucks. Send me your vin numbers and let me make sure you have the late build 6.0's and then I could hook you guys up with blocked up coolers and gasket sets.

6. Collapse Details

Magic and dude: I would look into getting the egr deleted from your trucks. Send me your vin numbers and let me make sure you have the late build 6.0's and then I could hook you guys up with blocked up coolers and gasket sets.
    I am a service manager at Ford dealership, my egr has been unplugged for a couple years. Don't want to put anymore coin in this truck as a new one is
    just around the corner!

Thanks for the offer,

PS if you are ever out of a job let me know!

7. Collapse Details

I will keep that in mind. seems as though ford diesel techs are as hard to find as a trans tech. And if i am moving to your area i will be sure to look you up.

8. Collapse Details

2006 6.0

Should I be doing EGR unplug thing?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    2006 6.0

Should I be doing EGR unplug thing?
    Yes. You would vomit if you saw the crap they dump into your intake/engine.

10. Collapse Details

It would be interesting to read a tech's take on the egr removal.

We are going to have an expanded truck and towing section soon. I think that it will be popular.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

11. Collapse Details

I HATE the EGR system. makes too much crap for the engine to swallow. It makes what is called "coking" this dark black paste. It can sometimes make deposits and get as hard as rocks and hold a valve open. If you were to continue the use of the EGR system (which is to reduce NOX emissions) in a green state i would reccomend the use of cetane booster. 1 bottle treats 4 tanks and you will see a 1mpg increase (99% of my customers do) it keeps that egr a little cleaner. the only problem with unplugging the valve is the fact that it can still blow open unde high load high boost situations. and the egr cooler has been proven to be a little problem for the 6.0 diesels. That is why i am a firm beleiver in blocking off the cooler. then the cooler cant fail and the egr valve stays plugged in and the processor opens and closes it as if it had exhaust running to it.

12. Collapse Details

Thanks! I'll see if I can find someone that knows how to do it. Lot of the things I'm reading online are for the more tech savvy...

13. Collapse Details

yeah, removing the intake would be a hard repair for a first timer. i would look for PSD tech.

14. Collapse Details

I have already had to replace the EGR vavle on my 06 Dmax with only 30K miles on it. I would like to block it, but not keen on cutting wires under the hood to fool the computer...

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I have already had to replace the EGR vavle on my 06 Dmax with only 30K miles on it. I would like to block it, but not keen on cutting wires under the hood to fool the computer...
    I feel you there! The diesel egr system was a good attempt but all the brands were starting some sort of egr system by 07. ford started in 03 and i think chevy started at the same time. dodge kept using their pollution points on thie diesels so they were forced to start in 06 or 07 (i think) The exhaust is just too full of junk for the system to work at 100% for the complete life of the vehicle. The 6.4 has a EGRDOC (exhaust gas recirculation diesel oxidation catylist) in place between the exhaust stream that leads to the egr valve and the valve. It really cleaned up the exhaust gas and made valve replacement almost a thing of the past. the new 6.7 will be equipped as well. And any dodge or chevy with a dpf prob. has them too.

16. Collapse Details

yeah, removing the intake would be a hard repair for a first timer. i would look for PSD tech.
    +1

It would never run again if I had some tools under the hood!

How about a list of what I should get done? 2006 F350 SRW long bed King Ranch w/70K miles. Daily driver, tow 10K LBS about 100 miles a year, haul nothing in the bed. Just had the 60K done by Ford 6 months ago and new tires at the same time. Mid grade oil (some thing "Blue" IIRC) every 5K miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2281.JPG   IMG_2282.JPG  

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    +1

It would never run again if I had some tools under the hood!

How about a list of what I should get done? 2006 F350 SRW long bed King Ranch w/70K miles. Daily driver, tow 10K LBS about 100 miles a year, haul nothing in the bed. Just had the 60K done by Ford 6 months ago and new tires at the same time. Mid grade oil (some thing "Blue" IIRC) every 5K miles.
    well, the torqshift trans has an external filter and a drainplug in the pan. Change your fluid every 30k in the trans (you will need 8 to 9 quarts) and replace the filter. Though i sound like a broken record, I would at least buy the spool to delete the egr valve or delete the cooler entirely. I would also complain of a long crank hot and see if you can get the updated STC fitting installed while under warranty. other than that i would enjoy it. I love the looks of these trucks and you have a really good looking truck. Love the 20's they are my favorite rim. those tires wear out quick but you cant beat the price. You could also be adding the trans fluid or lubricity additive from ford to help lube the fuel side of the injectors.

18. Collapse Details

I will keep that in mind. seems as though ford diesel techs are as hard to find as a trans tech. And if i am moving to your area i will be sure to look you up.
    Thats a fact! Plenty of good boating on da BIG POND

19. Collapse Details

Fixxxer,

What do you think of the 6.4's???????

20. Collapse Details

I'm ok with them. They have plenty of power. Hard to get good MPG out of them. The egr system is alot stronger. The only downfall is the DPF system (not much of a downfall but a downfall) the dpf cleans itself by injecting fuel on the exhaust stroke when the filter is too plugged. then there is an afterburner effect in the exhaust that cleans the DPF. the DPF costs about 2K and is considered a wear item that will have to be baked and then replaced at around 100-150k. other than that they looked at what caused so many problems in the 6.0 and tried to fix them. it has 2 egr coolers. a different valve and 2 turbos. 1 fixed and 1 VGT. It is not a twin turbo it is a dual turbo. seems to get the boost levels in the needed range at all rpms. The body is meant to come off of the 08 and up trucks to make repairs easier.