Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ford Sweeps Car and Truck of the Year
    Charter Member
    Ford proved that the domestic auto industry is ripe for a comeback by winning the North American Car and Truck of the Year awards with its Fusion Hybrid sedan and Transit Connect van.

2. Collapse Details

Who awarded that to them?

I'm beginning to think that the worst thing that could have happened to GM and Chrysler is bankruptcy. I don't know that they'll be able to catch up product-wise. I thing GM will be hamstrung by the inability to attract talent. And as far as Chrysler- if the US needed Fiats, they'd have already been here.

3. Collapse Details

the Transit is a British Ford Van and a household name since the 60īs...
    But other than that great for Ford and congrats.
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

I'm beginning to think that the worst thing that could have happened to GM and Chrysler is bankruptcy. I don't know that they'll be able to catch up product-wise. I thing GM will be hamstrung by the inability to attract talent. And as far as Chrysler- if the US needed Fiats, they'd have already been here.
    GM is too conservative to attract talent as the beancounters have run the company for 40 yrs.
    Still I watched with keen interest how Chevrolet would fare in WTCC.

One of the Worst things for GM to happen is loosing Opel to Fiat which is becoming a major stakeholder of Chrysler.
    If Opel is gone from the GM stable thereīs no brand to speak of for GM in Europe as Vauxhall was just a badge-engineered Opel and I canīt think GM would succeed in the future without a major selling brand in Europe.
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

5. Collapse Details

http://www.northamericancaroftheyear...ut-nacoty.html

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details

I'd strongly beg to disagree.

I left Ford for a (better) job at GM Aug of 08. I am still happy with this move, despite all the constant internet ragging from armchair CEO's and right wing anti GM wack jobs.

The bankruptcy is terrible from a PR standpoint, and the fact the only way through it was with gov't funding is the worst aspect. If there had been any other available bank, the offer would have been taken. Unfortunately that wasn't the case at that time, and we are were we are.

However, there is not a tremendous amount of brain drain so far, and we are allowed to pay people competitively.

Further, our lineup is one of the reasons I came to GM. They had the better cars to me, and I still think that. If you look at the other finalists for COTY, the LaCrosse and Equinox could easily both have won. For truck of the year, the Transit is a silly choice. It's a low volume commercial van that's been around in Europe for years and gets mediocre milage, while being smaller than a real van (the Fusion hybrid is a great car though).

Check out the recent GM launches (LaCrosse, Equinox/Terrain, Camaro, CTS-V) and the upcoming ones shown at this autoshow (Regal, Cruze, Aveo - seriously). GM's lineup is not suffering because of the bankruptcy, and now the focus is even better after shedding brands. Ford does not have a single vehicle that we can not easily compete with (other than Fusion Hybrid actually) or exceed.

So, while Ford is doing pretty damn well, and is clearly the media darling these days (along with any Limbaugh type) they still have a ton of debt to overcome. GM does not have balance sheet problems and is launching hit after hit. I'd say GM will be more profitable in '10 than Ford.

Chrysler.....after seeing their Detroit Auto Show lineup, they really should have been liquidated. That volume disappearing would have greatly benefited Ford/GM.

Overall, Ford and GM leave no excuse for buying some boring Jap crap over the next several years.

8. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Ford is enjoying a comeback. The American auto industry is not. GM and Chrysler should and will be gone eventually. They get what they deserve

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Ford proved that the domestic auto industry is ripe for a comeback by winning the North American Car and Truck of the Year awards with its Fusion Hybrid sedan and Transit Connect van.
    I'm a Chevrolet Guy... I have a Company Vehicle and a Personel Vehicle both Chevrolet's... My Company I work for is a large Electrical Contractor and we buy approx 50 vehicles a year between the four different offices, which are all delivered ,lettered, tagged prepared etc for our employees at my office, we have used Chevrolet for as many years as I can imagine...

My owner wanted to switch this past fall, as we had an issue with size vans to buy, in short we operate our business with Vans and Pick ups, mostly Vans. When there is no Astro anymore it is hard to buy full size vehicles with gas and most importanly parking issues in Washington DC with full size...

I came back to the office after Thanksgiving break and the Ford Dealer had delivered a couple hand fulls of vehicles of FORD'S.... It just looked kind of weird seeing a few Full Size, Rangers and Transports in the parking lot when it has been Chevrolet for so many years...

My Silverado LT pick up is only 2 years old and the nicest in the Company so I dont have to worry about switching over for another two years roughly...

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dollabill View Post
    Ford is enjoying a comeback. The American auto industry is not. GM and Chrysler should and will be gone eventually. They get what they deserve
    This would be the right wing anti-GM wack job talk I mentioned earlier.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RLJ676 View Post
    Agreed! Cts-v, G8 Gxp , Duramax diesel, the list can go on and on! One question I have is when was the last time you could buy a boat w/ a Ford motor in it? Let find someone that put a 5.4 liter w/ all that fd up cam adjustment B.S. on it, and Feed it a Steady Diet of 5000 rpms and see how long it last. Bicycle chains and Marine environments I dont think so.

12. Collapse Details

im not a gm person, but i do like the dmax a lot better than the ford 6.4. also the camaro seems to be a better buy then a mustang GT (only because of the engine). other than these i would go for a Ford product any day. i looked at and test drove both a 1500 silverado and a F150. without a doubt the ford felt better and the interior looked better and the materials looked higher quality.

however, we have mostly GM trucks at work. they aren't the greatest quality. there are a few fords and they seem to hold up better. this is just what i've seen, no right winged anything.

13. Collapse Details

I'm not any wing. I don't follow politics. But I am a fan of Darwin

14. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I understand you having to tote the current administration party line, they saved your skin.

15. Collapse Details

I understand you having to tote the current administration party line, they saved your skin.
    I wouldn't go that far....but I just can't see how some people fail to see the business case supported the move. It wasn't a give away with no return like we do all over the world which somehow ****es people off less than supporting a major industry and GDP contributor in this country?

I'm fiscally conservative (but definitely biased on this deal), but I'm pretty sure the task force did the business case to do what was best for the country. The "uaw vote" conspiracy's, etc crack me up. The task force's demands were tougher more cutthroat business moves than the companies would do on their own, to create viable companies. They weren't just bleeding heart handing it over.

16. Collapse Details

bottom line is that if actual real-live business people were in office when the "crisis" hit the auto makers (which was 30 years in the making but hey, they were busy right) GM and Chrysler would be gone. Period. Business 101

17. Collapse Details

Oh it's fact they saved your job.

18. Collapse Details

I'd strongly beg to disagree.

I left Ford for a (better) job at GM Aug of 08. I am still happy with this move, despite all the constant internet ragging from armchair CEO's and right wing anti GM wack jobs.
    Is it a better job for you or for all? Good to hear it worked out for you. Caddy has it going on and some GMC's. The Acadia (sp?) is awesome and will be our next family car. Nothing out there like it.

I have drove nothing but Ford's and GM my whole life. The Fusion that I have now is BY FAR the best car I have ever owned for many reasons.

I know one thing - stealing talent from the auto indusrty is like taking candy from a baby. I bet we hire an engineer, supply chain, packaging, etc out of the industry once every two weeks. Some of your peers don't feel the same...

19. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I wouldn't go that far....but I just can't see how some people fail to see the business case supported the move. It wasn't a give away with no return like we do all over the world which somehow ****es people off less than supporting a major industry and GDP contributor in this country?

I'm fiscally conservative (but definitely biased on this deal), but I'm pretty sure the task force did the business case to do what was best for the country. The "uaw vote" conspiracy's, etc crack me up. The task force's demands were tougher more cutthroat business moves than the companies would do on their own, to create viable companies. They weren't just bleeding heart handing it over.
    The way the Bondholders got screwed is what really what soured me.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dollabill View Post
    bottom line is that if actual real-live business people were in office when the "crisis" hit the auto makers (which was 30 years in the making but hey, they were busy right) GM and Chrysler would be gone. Period. Business 101
    Please show me your in depth analysis showing how the lost tax revenue + increased other social support costs would be less than a yet unknown return on an investment. That would be some "business 101" I think we would all be curious to see.......