Thread: Ar-15

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ar-15
    Looking at a Bushmaster AR-15 E2S, the guy wants $1000.00 and that he paid more than that. My problem is that when I look them up online I can get a new one for $799.00.

I was thinking of offering him $500.00 and no more. What are you thoughts?

2. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Quote Originally Posted by Doo-er View Post
    Looking at a Bushmaster AR-15 E2S, the guy wants $1000.00 and that he paid more than that. My problem is that when I look them up online I can get a new one for $799.00.

I'd buy the new one from a reputable seller
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Doo-er View Post

Chris should be here any minute. He can give you the skinny.

4. Collapse Details

If he were willing to sell it to you for $500, I'd have to ask why. Firearms aren't like used cars. They really don't depreciate. He could probably get $800 easily and definitely could sell it to a dealer for $700 or so. What he has with is affects price as well. Cases, optics, etc can add alot in value.

You may see it listed for that lowball price, but actually getting one could be a whole different story. The reputable one's are selling for just shy of $900. and remember with mailorder you have shipping and FFL transfer. If you don't have someone to do that for you, you may have trouble. More and more dealers are shying away from doing those transfers.

5. Collapse Details

I have been looking into the idea of building one lately. There is only one controlled part on the gun and the rest can be acquired over the internet. And the idea of putting together a gun somewhat customized the way I want it is attractive to me. With the new year I think I will get started on that little project.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    If he were willing to sell it to you for $500, I'd have to ask why. Firearms aren't like used cars. They really don't depreciate. He could probably get $800 easily and definitely could sell it to a dealer for $700 or so. What he has with is affects price as well. Cases, optics, etc can add alot in value.

You may see it listed for that lowball price, but actually getting one could be a whole different story. The reputable one's are selling for just shy of $900. and remember with mailorder you have shipping and FFL transfer. If you don't have someone to do that for you, you may have trouble. More and more dealers are shying away from doing those transfers.
    It is just the gun, no case, optics ect. The deal is he was renting a house from a friend and owes him money ($1000.00) so he is offering the gun to my friend to clear up the debt. Friend doesn't want the gun so he called me. Renter is hurting for cash so I'm going to try to get a good deal, may work out may not?

thanks for the info

7. Collapse Details

Call your local police department and run the serial number.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I have been looking into the idea of building one lately. There is only one controlled part on the gun and the rest can be acquired over the internet. And the idea of putting together a gun somewhat customized the way I want it is attractive to me. With the new year I think I will get started on that little project.
    Brownells has been selling the Spikes lowers for 80-90 bucks, but you have to deal with the FFL thing. If you can find a local place to get a decent lower so you don't have to deal with FFL you are gtg. There is a local place to me that does alot of AR work/sales called ADCO Firearms, has a good website too, http://www.adcofirearms.com. I plan on having them take a little weight off my 308 soon.

9. Collapse Details

Browse the equipment exchange in the ar-15.com forums. Theres always dealers and private sellers with good deals on any and every part you would ever need to build an AR platform. If your looking into anything Rock River call Pete at Legal Transfers. His prices and his service are as good as it gets.

10. Collapse Details

Prices on Ar's have gone down. I think the craziness of Obama gun control buyers has subsided a bit. I bought my DPMS Panther Ar-15 about a year ago and paid close to a grand for it. They are now down to $800 at the gun shows. Supply and demand. The supply is up right now. We go to the gun shows and every dealer is loaded with black rifles. You couldn't buy a 308/7.62 six months ago and they were all over the show. Like Chris said they don't depreciate, the problem is the over priced ones. Ammo is back, also. Bushmaster's are not a special or high end AR. If the gun is in excellent condidtion it might be worth $800 or so.

11. Collapse Details

yes, a grand is a bit high for it, i would say 650-700 tops if its in good shape and doesnt have any accessories. the market has softened up a bit, a couple days before the election i ordered a rock river in 458socom and didnt get it until july. now you can get just about anything, i just picked up an ar-10t, havent been able to get them for quite a while, but of course i wanted to get rid of another gun and the market is off now. my gun guy took my bushmaster varmint special on trade for 800.00, in like new condition, so he will prob sell it for 900.00 and they are 1150 new. as far as building one, i always wanted to but if you want top notch it was about a wash with a good builder, it would be fun though.

12. Collapse Details

I've been doing a ton of research on AR's recently as I just started getting the stuff to build my own.

You can build a more quality gun for around $800, or a similar to BM one for around $600.

If you're just plinking and want a gun for cheap, try this. http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...08721&cat=161&

However, I'd recommend building one, and ar15.com has a ton of info. I am sure he can sell that gun for that money to someone, but that doesn't mean it's a "good deal", a lot of people buy an AR without doing a lot of research.

13. Collapse Details

I have also been doing a little research on these myself. A new (in the box) Colt AR-15 6920 Law Enforcement model from a local gun store here in Vegas is currently going around $1300 plus tax and $25 FFL background check/transfer.

Ballistics of the .223 aren't that impressive and energy really drops off after 200-300 yards.

Thinking an Armalite AR-10 in .308 (7.62) might be a better investment ...(?)

14. Collapse Details

If your considering a .308 the DPMS LR308 is hard to beat. The Armalite is much like Bushmaster, your paying for a name.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RedDog382 View Post
    I have also been doing a little research on these myself. A new (in the box) Colt AR-15 6920 Law Enforcement model from a local gun store here in Vegas is currently going around $1300 plus tax and $25 FFL background check/transfer.

Ballistics of the .223 aren't that impressive and energy really drops off after 200-300 yards.

Thinking an Armalite AR-10 in .308 (7.62) might be a better investment ...(?)
    I believe if you shop around you can grab Colt's for below 1200, which is a great deal on "the AR".

If you're hunting anything bigger than varmint regularly with the rifle, an AR10 makes sense, but if you are just target shooting the .223 is way cheaper. Seems though that once you have one you just keep buying and building more so you could just get both....BRD (black rifle disease).

16. Collapse Details

I've got the disease!!!! 4 .223's and one play one in 9mm. I really want an AR10 but its hard(exspensive)to get good 7.62.

17. Collapse Details

Federal Gold Medal Match is about as good as it gets in factory ammo for theese, it will shoot sub MOA in a stock LR308. You will be supprised by the increased accuracy that handloads tailored to your specific rifle will have over factory ammo.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Federal Gold Medal Match is about as good as it gets in factory ammo for theese, it will shoot sub MOA in a stock LR308. You will be supprised by the increased accuracy that handloads tailored to your specific rifle will have over factory ammo.
    not into reloading yet but have most of the stuff I will need.......except time

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RedDog382 View Post

(?)
    For $1300 you can get an 6940 colt NIB monolithic rail. 6920s have been going for ~$1000 pretty regularly NIB.

Check AR15.com as has been said and also www.sturmgewehr.com. Most FFLs will transfer for about $30.

AR's are back to or slightly below Pre obama prices. If you are looking for an AR I'd look at Colt, LMT, Stag and Rock river. If you want to put one together the lowers are all about the same and Bravo Company USA makes great uppers. Rock River was selling the complete kit minus the lower for like $600 a while back so for less that $700 you could have a darn fine black rifle.

Read a lot on AR15 and you will pick up pretty quick whats good and whats average.

Great LMT
    http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/se...gi?read=224423

Colts at Clydes. Great deal in the 6940
    http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/se...gi?read=224385

RRA kit
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_ID=199
    Last edited by Von Bongo; 01-03-2010 at 11:28 PM.

20. Collapse Details

I have a DPMS LR-243L. It is basically a lighter AR-10 but in 243 Win. I only have about 60 rounds through it so far but I am really impressed. I haven't had a single function issue and it shoots one ragged hole at 200yds. I have a 223 as well and it is great for target but it just doesen't have the ass behind it for consistent bang-flops on even coyote sized animals. It definitely kills them just not with the authority of a 22-250 or 243 at 300+ yards. Something else to consider is a an AR-15 in one of the wssm calibers if you want more punch but lighter weight. D-tech or olympic arms both make them but ammo is a little pricey and harder to find.

For just a cheap plinker check out the CMMG bargain bin rifles. I have a couple of buddies with them and they shoot damn good especially for under 600 bucks.
    http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...d97187de6efc81