Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Powerboat Mag. Subscription ?
    Hey guys ..... anybody have a subscription post card they can send me ?

I havent renewed in a couple years and wanna get back on the list .

Thanks !~

2. Collapse Details

http://www.powerboatmag.com/

click on subsciber services

or next time you're at the grocery store...grab one out of the mag

3. Collapse Details

Jer, we get PB. Stop by and pick up a card. And a beer.
    Queen of Bammin'

4. Collapse Details

I got a phone call from PBM wanting me to renew. Told them their mag hasn't been worth the money for a number of years and that I thought it unlikely they would last through 2010.

5. Collapse Details

I have them to LJ... I will prob see you over the weekend... let me know...
    35 Cigarette Mistress

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
    I got a phone call from PBM wanting me to renew. Told them their mag hasn't been worth the money for a number of years and that I thought it unlikely they would last through 2010.
    Can I ask what your issue is with the magazine?

I just find it extremely difficult to understand how people do not like this magazine. I know they took a lot of crap about the Manatee thing and calling OSO member nit-wits, and that left a bad taste in many peoples mouths. I know a lot of people don’t like seeing wake boarding boats, or deck boats, or smaller boats, or larger crazy offshore boats that aren’t affordable, etc. etc. (Cant please everyone… get what I’m saying?)

But I mean come on, a magazine dedicated to performance boating? Well-written, Awesome photography and interesting articles...What more could a powerboat enthusiast ask for? I know you can't please everyone all the time but I don't understand how dropping 20 buck for one year or 35 bucks for 2 years is really THAT MUCH money when you get a material object that you can read on your porch, read in the restroom, read on a snowy, rainy, sunny, whatever day.

I know I'm bias as I'm actually friends with most everyone that works at PBM. And I can tell you from a first hand perspective, these people really care about this industry and those that are surrounded by it (you, me, everyone on here, etc).

I truly don't understand why a statement like "I thought it unlikely they would last through 2010" would roll off your tongue with out a lead up of "unfortunately". You do realize that PBM is backed by a fairly large publisher "infinity group"? And that PBM is the leading magazine in sales for this hobby/sport we love so much? So by saying that you believe they will not be around through 2010, really that could mean that no boating magazines will be around in 2010. I personally find that sad. I enjoy flipping through the pages of PBM and what’s left of the other magazines out there that haven’t already fallen victim to these harsh times.

I would say instead of making comments to those that are soliciting for support during these hard times that you don't see them making it, how about helping the cause out and prying out the 35 bucks to get a two year subscription? Give back to a magazine that has given a whole hell of a lot to this sport/hobby over the past few decades.

I realize that internet has gouged magazine sales and that you can get a lot of information on SOS, OSO, Performance boats, Scream and fly, etc etc. I understand the draw to these forums, I mean I’m here almost every day, checking out what’s up. But I really think the internet lacks a certain 'jena se qua'…I guess that tangible substance that comes from holding a magazine in your hands and having that time to read through the articles, look at the award winning photographers work, read insider opinions and professional racer, builders and other industry leaders comments…..Again to me, it’ll be a sad day when the magazines go to the wayside. And until that day comes, I'll try to do as much as possible to help that from happening.
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

7. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Can I ask what your issue is with the magazine?

I just find it extremely difficult to understand how people do not like this magazine. I know they took a lot of crap about the Manatee thing and calling OSO member nit-wits, and that left a bad taste in many peoples mouths. I know a lot of people don’t like seeing wake boarding boats, or deck boats, or smaller boats, or larger crazy offshore boats that aren’t affordable, etc. etc. (Cant please everyone… get what I’m saying?)

But I mean come on, a magazine dedicated to performance boating? Well-written, Awesome photography and interesting articles...What more could a powerboat enthusiast ask for? I know you can't please everyone all the time but I don't understand how dropping 20 buck for one year or 35 bucks for 2 years is really THAT MUCH money when you get a material object that you can read on your porch, read in the restroom, read on a snowy, rainy, sunny, whatever day.

I know I'm bias as I'm actually friends with most everyone that works at PBM. And I can tell you from a first hand perspective, these people really care about this industry and those that are surrounded by it (you, me, everyone on here, etc).

I truly don't understand why a statement like "I thought it unlikely they would last through 2010" would roll off your tongue with out a lead up of "unfortunately". You do realize that PBM is backed by a fairly large publisher "infinity group"? And that PBM is the leading magazine in sales for this hobby/sport we love so much? So by saying that you believe they will not be around through 2010, really that could mean that no boating magazines will be around in 2010. I personally find that sad. I enjoy flipping through the pages of PBM and what’s left of the other magazines out there that haven’t already fallen victim to these harsh times.

I would say instead of making comments to those that are soliciting for support during these hard times that you don't see them making it, how about helping the cause out and prying out the 35 bucks to get a two year subscription? Give back to a magazine that has given a whole hell of a lot to this sport/hobby over the past few decades.

I realize that internet has gouged magazine sales and that you can get a lot of information on SOS, OSO, Performance boats, Scream and fly, etc etc. I understand the draw to these forums, I mean I’m here almost every day, checking out what’s up. But I really think the internet lacks a certain 'jena se qua'…I guess that tangible substance that comes from holding a magazine in your hands and having that time to read through the articles, look at the award winning photographers work, read insider opinions and professional racer, builders and other industry leaders comments…..Again to me, it’ll be a sad day when the magazines go to the wayside. And until that day comes, I'll try to do as much as possible to help that from happening.
    Well put.
    There will always be a substantive difference between print and internet forums. And there is a place and need for both.

The magazine industry is no different than any other business that has been affected by the economic downturn. Like everyone associated with our sport we wish the best to those at Powerboat knowing full well that they will continue bringing our members a quality well produced magazine that clearly reflects the same love for this hobby that we all have.

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just saw this thread, I'll recommend Powerboat to anyone. Been a subscriber since 1973 and they have always been extremely helpful with any issue or help I've asked for.

The mag may be smaller now due to the reduction in advertising throughout the industry, but the quality of the tests and the tech articles are top of the line.

That being said, if you need a postcard, PM or email me your address and it'll be in the mail tonight.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

9. Collapse Details

Thanks guys ! I went on line and got it rolling .

10. Collapse Details

Agree Tank, Alec and Paul....we enjoy the magazine and it has taught me a lot of over the years. Rob and I both look forward its arrival each month.
    Queen of Bammin'

11. Collapse Details

I like PBM but since your asking, my main complaint is the percentage of boats in the real world that have Teague power vs the percentage of boats tested with Teague power.

I understand supporting one of your advertisers and editors, Teague does a lot for the sport with his shop and racing course but come on. Good, bad or indifferent, most stock boats are Mercury powered if that is going the be the standard then they should test most boats with Mercury power. I'm all about breaking the monoploy but it is what it is.

Not complaining and glad they are still producing a mag and yadda yadda yadda, just real world perspective how to improve on an already great product..

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    Just signed up too via online. I really hope I get it before the 6-8 week lead time advertised. If not, oh well. I want it anyway.

13. Collapse Details

I have been getting the magazine for almost ten years and always find useful info that I did not previously know. More importantly, it takes a lot of the "my boat runs 135 with stock 525's" out of the equation because they give real life info with real life testing of most every motor out there. My buddies stop in my office on a regular basis and grab the most recent issue and flip thru it just to see awesome machines that you often times would not see out and about, especially the new technology to the market. I realize that we all get tired of some of the bias but on the same token, it is all about the marketing dollar and who is paying for the big ads. Kudos to PBM for surviving this cycle and I hope they keep up the great work. I don't have to agree with everyone they are cheering about, but that is why I can turn the page!!!!! Hammer

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer01 View Post
    I have been getting the magazine for almost ten years and always find useful info that I did not previously know. More importantly, it takes a lot of the "my boat runs 135 with stock 525's" out of the equation because they give real life info with real life testing of most every motor out there. My buddies stop in my office on a regular basis and grab the most recent issue and flip thru it just to see awesome machines that you often times would not see out and about, especially the new technology to the market. I realize that we all get tired of some of the bias but on the same token, it is all about the marketing dollar and who is paying for the big ads. Kudos to PBM for surviving this cycle and I hope they keep up the great work. I don't have to agree with everyone they are cheering about, but that is why I can turn the page!!!!! Hammer
    Great post Hammer!
    Queen of Bammin'

15. Collapse Details

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
    Well put.
    There will always be a substantive difference between print and internet forums. And there is a place and need for both.

The magazine industry is no different than any other business that has been affected by the economic downturn. Like everyone associated with our sport we wish the best to those at Powerboat knowing full well that they will continue bringing our members a quality well produced magazine that clearly reflects the same love for this hobby that we all have.
    Very much agreed, and well put by both.

16. Collapse Details

Thanks for the support, Tank, and all the rest of you. I have written for Powerboat for 15 years and I'd to write for the magazine for 15 more. It's a privilege that's taken me all over the country and aboard, and exposed me to amazing people and products. I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it.

Though I disagree with Padraig's opinion (he frequently refers to the "mediocre" writing in Powerboat, and since I have written much of what's in there in the past 10 years I have to assume he's not a big fan of mine), I respect his right to voice it.

To be sure, all magazines are facing difficult times—as many of you know, Gourmet, which had something on the order of 950,000 readers, shut its doors recently. That seems ludicrous, until you also understand that Conde Naste, the outfit that publishers Gourmet, reportedly lost 3,000 pages of advertising last year across all its magazine titles. That, my friends, is huge.

I am not an official voice of Powerboat (but I am the official voice of speedonthewater.com, and that's a kick). I have been a freelance writer for Powerboat, as well as other marine magazines, for 10 years. But I can say this: Powerboat isn't going anywhere.

To gloat over the tough challenges facing all high-performance marine businesses—and Powerboat magazine is a business—is incredibly myopic and mean-spirited. It's also just plain silly.

Thanks, as always, for reading.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    I like PBM but since your asking, my main complaint is the percentage of boats in the real world that have Teague power vs the percentage of boats tested with Teague power.

I understand supporting one of your advertisers and editors, Teague does a lot for the sport with his shop and racing course but come on. Good, bad or indifferent, most stock boats are Mercury powered if that is going the be the standard then they should test most boats with Mercury power. I'm all about breaking the monoploy but it is what it is.

Not complaining and glad they are still producing a mag and yadda yadda yadda, just real world perspective how to improve on an already great product..
    Mark, I understand where you're coming from. Teague is one of their lead testers (along with Johnny Tomlinson) and you see a lot of Teague advertisements and many boats get tested with Teague power....But I will say this:

1) I would bet (and it could be done), if you pulled the number of Teague powered boats tested compaired to Merc powered boats tested the numbers would be staggeringly low of Teague powered boats.
    2) Teague, Johhny, Matt, Gregg, Jason or any one else at the magazine does not control which boats are tested and which power is in them. This I think is the number one mis-nomer about their test boats. PBM puts out an open invitation to all manufacturers for their test dates (west coast and east coast). They do not control which builders show up and how they are powered. That is 100% the truth of it.

But, I can tell you that Teague is pretty big on the west coast and many of the builders here love him and his motors, so when PBM gives the invites, I assume a builder wants to bring the newest boat with the biggest motor they just installed.
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

18. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
    Wow, that was rude. Did you offer to kick their dog as well?

19. Collapse Details

Power Boat magazine sucks. Oh wait a second, that was the other one.
    Real world tests on real world boats. Gotta like that. I guess thats why i buy it and read it cover to cover every month and have for years

Keep up the great work folks, you're the only one left out there for US!!!!!!

20. Collapse Details

I had my subcription for a few years. At first, I would literly be standing at the front door waiting for the mailman it seemed. I couldn't wait to get it and read it cover to cover. Had the convenient stack of them in all the typical places - next to my favorite chair, the night stand, in the bathroom, ect. It just seemed to get (please don't take offense) boring. Beats me what the heck the deal is. I didn't renew my subcription about a year ago. It just seemed like it was the exact same magazine every month. Nothing was blowing my socks off and had me glued to it. Trust me, I'm all boater at heart and live for the sport. Please tell me something has changed within the last year with it!!!
    Pat