• Some of the people belong but it's not complete

49 62.82%
  • Stecz is a putz

17 21.79%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dollabill View Post

I can be paid to think that way buddy
    I've seen you get paid to do worse you dirty whore!
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

2. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I've seen you get paid to do worse you dirty whore!
    What happened on your boat in Havasu stays there At least she was cute

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dollabill View Post
    What happened on your boat in Havasu stays there At least she was cute
    I'm just sayin'....
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

4. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Lol. Ok, I'm done hijacking my own thread. Carry on gents

5. Collapse Details

Rik ... thanks for the laugh and really big smile. Great gift around the holidays. You're right, you can't please everyone and when you put together a column like this you open yourself to criticism. Comes with the job. I actually enjoy this exchange.

44MTI ... The hard part about choosing Bob Teague wasn't putting him on the list, it was where to rank him. He makes it for all the reason Tank mentioned and more.

Is Bob my friend? Sure, so are John Tomlinson, Randy Scism and Stu Jones, who didn't make the list. Anyone who thinks I put Teague on the list out of friendship or fear of ****ing him off (trust me, I've done that lots of times with things I've written, just ask him) is incorrect. Whether or not you like his "influence" is up to you. But it's very real.

44MTI ... I like your questions but I think you're falling into a value-judgment trap when you question my choice of John Carbonell. Nowhere in my text does it say that any of the people listed have or have not had a positive impact on performance boating.

Mr. Carbonell has had an impact and continues to have an impact—I don't think that can be denied. What kind of impact, good or bad? You make the call.

DollaBill ... did you do something in Havasu that needed to stay in Havasu? And if so, Tank, you've clearly forgotten the code.

Back to the subject. Have at.
    Last edited by Matt Trulio; 12-08-2009 at 07:49 PM.

6. Collapse Details

First off, while some great men have been mentioned, this is "influential". Present tense. Not "Formerly Influential".

Then I suppose by the definition of influential, which is someone that influences others, we'd have to compile a list of all the events in the last year or so that have moved the industry. I would consider any sort of design, engineering product or marketing accomplishment introduced in that time period that caused others to change their product or process would qualify that person for consideration.

So aside from the introduction of the 700/NXT, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that's happened in the last few years that's gotten anybody off their seats and into catch-up mode.

So what else is out there?

7. Collapse Details

Forgot one thing: Three out of ten choices on a Top 10 list from the West Coast hardly qualifies as "West Coast bias." And I stand by all three choices without flinching.

Chris, I do agree with you to a degree, but influence and seismic, "get off your seat and catch up" products are few and far between. In the meantime, people look to people of influence, if you will, for direction, trend-setting and so on. And again, a person being influential isn't always for the good. That seems to be a point of confusion (not yours) here.

I also tried to avoid those who are formerly influential, which is why Mr. Fountain is not on the list today but would have been before Fountain's Chapter 11 filing. I think Mr. Fountain will be back and will rate a spot on a list like this one. But right now, it's fair to say he's regrouping. Not kicking him while he's down, not at all (I know and respect him), but just giving him a chance to get things back together.

Gentlemen, my goal was to pull from a broad cross-section influential people from various segments of the industry. That means three engine/propulsion product builders, four boat builders, a race-sanctioning body head and a boat painter.

You want a list of good list of formerly influential folks? Go back earlier in this thread and check out the one from FasterDad (or was it RacersDad). Really on point.

8. Collapse Details

Not to be a pain in the ass about it, but if your actions don't influence someone, then it's tough to be considered influential.

I suppose I'm making a point- we're still running around in 24 degree vee bottom boats with the 1930's invention- the stepped bottom.

Extra billet and 3-figure logo counts in cockpits just aren't that influential to the core of our industry. I see alot of what Cig and OL and others doing that ends up on 3rd or 4th tier boats shortly after each years's boat shows, but that's not the kind of influential I think we're looking for. That's more copycat than anything.

9. Collapse Details

Guys. I don't want to sound out of bounds because you have so many people that belong on the list that were not even mentioned, This is Matts list of people. Not the Industry, I have my own list, you have your own list yada, yada, Aronow, Wynn, Bertram, Steve Step, There are so many. You are going to laugh but if I was to do a list of 10 people that had the most impact on me.
    1) My Dad.. Started me in the racing years
    2) Frank Lach
    3) Benihana
    4) Betty Cook
    5) Al Copeland
    6) Steve Simon
    7) Rich Luhrs
    8) Don Aronow
    9) Bob Teague
    Last but not least if it wasn't for this person I would not be as involved with Poker Runs, Making more friends in the boating industry and just making boating more of my life then anyother sport in my life and that person would be.
    10) Dave Patnaude.
    Frank Civitano

www.njppc.com

10. Collapse Details

Not a pain in the butt at all, Chris. Just making your point. However, I could give an example for every person on my list for actions, as translated through work or deed, that have influenced others in the way they boat, buy a boat, race offshore and so. Not all of these actions are always huge. They can be small things that are cumulative and, year after year, add up to more.

Example: I'm not an offshore racer, so John Carbonell's actions have no direct impact on me. But they have had direct impact, and this equates to influence, on offshore racers for past decade. And they have affected the way many people view the sport, good, bad or indifferent.

Chris, I think what you're talking about is being innovative, and what's not to respect about innovation. However, a person can be influential without being particularly innovative.

Frank ... the people on this list are "currently influential" (if you accept my choices, which sparked this discussion), which is why many of the big names you mentioned weren't on it.

I really appreciate hearing from you guys. What I agree with or don't agree isn't relevant. Just trying to absorb the different perspectives.
    Last edited by Matt Trulio; 12-08-2009 at 08:49 PM.

11. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    I really appreciate hearing from you guys. What I agree with or don't agree isn't relevant. Just trying to absorb the different perspectives.
    Likewise. And that's precisely what ties us all together. Threads like this - ones that get the mind going and to help us reflect on the dynamics of the sport and industry - really drive the community.

12. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    I would have to say Dave Patnuade is "currently influential".

"Dave Patnaude – Dave brings a lifelong passion for speed on the water. His accomplishments include 22 years of race organization and production as a Director of NJ Offshore Powerboat Racing Association (NJOPRA). He is also President and a founder of NJ Performance Powerboat Club (NJPPC) which, with almost 250 members in 10 states represents one of the largest contingents of performance boaters today. The club maintains a roster of local and National sponsors who are fully supportive of what has become the safest and most professional Poker Run organization in existence. Dave is also Curator of the Raymond Patnaude Offshore Racing Internet Library, the largest and most comprehensive collection of Offshore racing memorabilia in the world."

That's the short list which does not include how instrumental he was in terms of Performance Boat Safety, as well as how influential he was fighting off the 35 mph NJ Statewide Speed Limit on the water not just once but twice kept it from being passed.

Influential with Poker Runners and Sail Boat Regatta people actually working together in which who knows when the last time that ever happened prior?

Dave is also currently head of Water Operations for the NJOPRA which produces the 40 year old race site Point Pleasant Beach well know as the Benihana Offshore Grand Prix back in the day.

Influential on the Boat Loans when people were looking to make a purchase...

Also the most influential bringing Performance boaters together for a great cause every year, Shore Dreams For Kids.

I can't say enough about the President of NJPPC and the influence he had with giving me the extra push I needed to get further into the Aerial Photography of Performance Boats.

If that's not enough, here is a real nice piece written up on him:
    http://www.njppc.com/NJPPC%20DP%20Story.pdf

I am sure another list will come out at some point, and he will no doubt be on the top of it.....

13. Collapse Details

Matt,

Let the masses get all huffed up in a tizzy, your article is getting talked about, you've achieved the goal of most journalist.

Now like most chick's demands.... What have you done for me lately???? Work on your next homerun...

Try finding the one bottoxed lipped chick with fake cones Tiger did not bang? That should be the next "Who's Deep Throat?" Rosetta's stone of journalism for the next twenty years...

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    From Matt's list....

Fred Kiekhaefer
    Peter Hledin
    Bob Latham
    Mike D'Anniballe
    Dean Loucks

plus...

Fabio Buzzi
    Howard Arneson
    Michael Peters
    Jim Hering
    Reggie Fountain
    I agree, great list!

15. Collapse Details

I'll say it again....I agree. But this has nothing to do with being "INFLUENTIAL TO THE SPORT"
    Why wouldn't showcasing the boats in action via video/magazine/tv show be influential? PR's can be 3D ads for the products built by the manufacturers. Then it turns into a promotion machine when the owners get together after the boats are docked.

Guy shows up with a new XYZ boat, runs it hard and then everyone else on the run checks it out all weekend. If the PR didn't exist then it may show up at a waterfront bar/ weekend hangout spot once a month otherwise it is sitting in storage/on a lift behind the guys house (getting no exposure to the buying public). Stu is organizing that type of "promotion" every month in different boating locations, 12 months a year.

More opinions/interest are generated at a single PR like the KW run or Miami Boat Show run than a season of boat shows in 10 major cities and IT IS CHEAPER TO SPONSOR A PR than attend a show!
    Last edited by JupiterSunsation; 12-08-2009 at 10:35 PM.

16. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Wink

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    Why wouldn't showcasing the boats in action via video/magazine/tv show be influential? PR's can be 3D ads for the products built by the manufacturers. Then it turns into a promotion machine when the owners get together after the boats are docked.

Guy shows up with a new XYZ boat, runs it hard and then everyone else on the run checks it out all weekend. If the PR didn't exist then it may show up at a waterfront bar/ weekend hangout spot once a month otherwise it is sitting in storage/on a lift behind the guys house (getting no exposure to the buying public). Stu is organizing that type of "promotion" every month in different boating locations, 12 months a year.

More opinions/interest are generated at a single PR like the KW run or Miami Boat Show run than a season of boat shows in 10 major cities and IT IS CHEAPER TO SPONSOR A PR than attend a show!
    Again, I agree. Great times for all. A PR is a great place to show off your new product. Everything you said above is 100% correct. I've been on a few of Stu and Jackie's runs and have had a great time. And I would def. say Stu has built himself a strong rep as being "king of clubs" (pun intended). So when Matt rights the next top ten list that reads "Leaders in Performance boating"....Stu and FPC will fit right in just as Matt stated, "a leader in their market".

I still fail to see how he or the club "influence" performance boating. Just so we're clear, here's the definition:

the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others

I don't think providing a forum where a few people may decide to buy a certain brand boat because they saw it at a poker run qualifies you to be eligible for a spot on the 10 most influential people in the performance boating market. I mean come on, how often does someone see a boat at a poker run and walk into the dealer the next day saying, "I saw this boat at the show and I have to have one!" ??

So let me ask you this, what does offering a format to show off your boat (i.e. "promoting") have to do with influencing the market or the leaders in that market? If you want to talk about promoting the boating market, then look to Powerboat Magazine. I'd name other magazines but Powerboat sells more magazines then any other. PBM promotes more boats and boating manufacturers and brings the visuals of new boats to more people across the globe than all the poker runs combined.
    Last edited by Tank; 12-08-2009 at 11:37 PM.

18. Collapse Details

Again, I agree. Great times for all. A PR is a great place to show off your new product. Everything you said above is 100% correct. I've been on a few of Stu and Jackie's runs and have had a great time. And I would def. say Stu has built himself a strong rep as being "king of clubs" (pun intended). So when Matt rights the next top ten list that reads "Leaders in Performance boating"....Stu and FPC will fit right in just as Matt stated, "a leader in their market".

I still fail to see how he or the club "influence" performance boating. Just so we're clear, here's the definition:

the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others

I don't think providing a forum where a few people may decide to buy a certain brand boat because they saw it at a poker run qualifies you to be eligible for a spot on the 10 most influential people in the performance boating market. I mean come on, how often does someone see a boat at a poker run and walk into the dealer the next day saying, "I saw this boat at the show and I have to have one!" ??

So let me ask you this, what does offering a format to show off your boat (i.e. "promoting") have to do with influencing the market or the leaders in that market? If you want to talk about promoting the boating market, then look to Powerboat Magazine. I'd name other magazines but Powerboat sells more magazines then any other. PBM promotes more boats and boating manufacturers and brings the visuals of new boats to more people across the globe than all the poker runs combined.

I understand your point....but Stu showcases the manufacturer's product in a way no other advertising can. How could he influence? Ask Nortech, FPC has been pretty influential in their rise in the business. Unlike Cig/Fountain who were titans of industry for years , NT is a newer player and Fastboasts spent a lot of time/money with Stu building FB.com as well as NT.

I strongly disagree with your point about seeing a PR boat and buying the next day. Terry was real busy filling out orders for the 40 Cat at the Miami run. I bet more high end performance boats get sold at big PR's than brick & mortar boat shows. You can evaluate a trade, go for a ride, have a few drinks and buy a boat all at a PR... Tough to do at a convention center.

19. Collapse Details

GLH,

Thanks a ton for the encouragement. I did let a few "work" things get away from me while I stayed with this thread today (I wrote another column for Boats.com and a blog that posted on speedonthewater.com, but that's a fairly low output day for me.)

But you're right, it's time to start work on the next train wreck. I'm kidding, of course. Though most of you liked some of the list but felt it was inaccurate, six of you think I'm nuts and two of you (me and Joan Trulio—thanks for voting mom) think I'm dead-on, the conversation here has been enlightening entertaining ... and civil. From what I've seen of this forum, it really is a place for intelligent discussion.

So thanks guys. You have no idea how much I value your feedback. My skin is thick. My skull is not.

I'll check back tomorrow evening.

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If this is the definition Matt used,

Currently having the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, opinions, etc., of others

The key part being "currently" , his list is pretty dang close.

Now we need a most influential ever.........
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!