49 62.82%
  • Stecz is a putz

17 21.79%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Pic's of Korean Sue Please!!! If shes on the list there must be Pics

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dollabill View Post
    As far as Dean, I've met him several times and think he does amazing paint work. But, honestly, I don't think a painter should be anywhere near that list.
    Paint is great, themes are clever but a painter shouldn't be on the top ten list....

3. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDonzi View Post
    Pic's of Korean Sue Please!!! If shes on the list there must be Pics
    Trust me, it's not good!...but she make's one heck of a sub!!

4. Collapse Details

I disagree you can and should have painters on the list they are what make some of the most reconizable boats out there stand-out from the crowd... In my opinion they have a place on this list as much as anyone else...

You can't just name one of the premier painters without listing the one that have been on all of the magazine covers over the last few years.... can you say "Speed Racer", "Hammertime", "Batman", "Mercedes", "Two Faced", "Spine Tingler", "Ferarri", "Looney Tunes and "Al Copeland's Phenomenom" just to name a few... If your going to be listing painters Mark Morris (Visual Imagination) get's my vote.... besides he painted mine...

That and I'd have that Randy Scism guy on there too, he seems to build a pretty nice boat... even if I don't have one.... And most definitely Reggie, like him or not he's been a driving force for a number of years and will probably rebound and be one again very soon if the economy isn't ruined by the Gov...
    Last edited by nortech4play; 12-07-2009 at 11:57 PM.

5. Collapse Details

I think the inclusion of Skip, and not Neil, is a travesty. It was Neil that was the driving force behind the TS hulls, and without them Cigarette wouldn't be worth the ink Skip signed the check with.
    Treat every situation like a dog, if you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

6. Collapse Details

And Maybe Jim(?) Hering?
    Treat every situation like a dog, if you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

7. Collapse Details

Registered
    I nominate....Richie Powers, "HIGH LIFE"

8. Collapse Details

peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails main_watermark%20SKATER.gif  
    Precision Marine Performance Engines

9. Collapse Details

Thought-provoking stuff, guys. Thank you.

Here's why I think a painter belongs on the list: Aesthetics are huge in our world. The importance we place on graphics cannot be denied. Otherwise, every boat would be white—heck, white gelcoat is pretty easy to fix.

There are several great painters and paint shops out there, including Mitcher T (a friend of mine), Ratical Graphics and Grafik EFX. But The Art of Design is the shop that is most commonly held up as the benchmark, and that is a function of the creativity, artistry, talent, vision and, frankly, outrageous personality of Dean Loucks.

Reggie Fountain's contributions have been huge, and I've written that more times than I can remember. But at this point in time Mr. Fountain and his company are in survival mode and less than influential. Remember, I didn't write about the "Top 10 Most Influential People in High-Performance History." That was not my headline. But that would be fun, too.

Is my list West Coast biased, as my friend Old School suggests? Well, three of my ten picks were West Coast people, and whether you guys east of the Mississippi like it or not, there is a giant performance-boat world out West. Notice, I said performance boat, not offshore performance. I do know the difference.

Keep it coming. This is all good stuff.

10. Collapse Details

Banned
    What about Thad ?

11. Collapse Details

Banned
    You guys need to include Pepe Nunez in that list..
    He is still the record holder for the Miami to New York race...
    A ballz out guy that has seen/done everything...

12. Collapse Details

I think what needs clarifying is that I think Matt's list is people who are CURRENTLY being the most influential in the high-perf boating market (maybe not). If that's the case, I think his list is great! Maybe include Mike Fiore for his level of detail, or Nor-Tech. Or even Gary Stray for his creativity and quality of rigging.

If it is most influential over time, there are several people like Reggie Fountain, Michael Peters, and Dennis Cavanaugh that should be included.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post

Here's why I think a painter belongs on the list: Aesthetics are huge in our world. The importance we place on graphics cannot be denied. Otherwise, every boat would be white—heck, white gelcoat is pretty easy to fix.
    With the invention of wraps, couldn't it be argued that "real paint' may become a thing of the past when the technology improves to the next level?

Tres Martin should definitely be on the list....He is making it safer to drive the boats and helping with the insurance issues surrounding these boats. He is also gotten into helping "tweak" the boats right at the manufacturer level (he is currently working with Sunsation on their new 36) to come up with faster, better handling bottom designs.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CDOWNS View Post
    MTI's Randy S. Should be on that list.
    Why? Not arguing, I just don't see how he's "influential" to performance boating. Nice guy, builds a great boat. But should he be on the list? I don't see it.

I agree with Matt's list for the most part. I don't personally think Dave from DCB should be on that list. The guy is attention to detail oriented but I don't think his product has stood the test of time or has been proven via race circuit. I'd put Schiada's rigging (another west coast company that has been around way longer than DCB) against a DCB anyday...And then run them in the ocean in 4-6 footers and see which one comes back!

For those that disagree Bob Leach should be on that list, you may want to do some research into Eliminator. Bob has been building performance boats longer than most other companies put together and has had a HUGE influence on the west coast boating scene. Bob opened the doors to Eliminator the same year Arronow opened the doors to Cigarette.

There's always more names that come to mind....But there's only 10 spots on that list!
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

15. Collapse Details

Matt

I can agree with about 80% of the people on your list. I have taken everyone into consideration you listed. The ones that I question are Dave Hemmingson, possibly Skip Braver and also possibly Mike D'Anniballe.

Dave Hemmingson is the one that I can't understand. What I mean is, you have Bob Leach of Eliminator and Dave Hemmingson is an off-shoot of that. I, personally, think Dave should be replaced with Johnny Tomlinson, for obvious reasons. TNT Custom Marine, the expert rigging, the string of World Championships, being a Hired Gun Throttleman for so many people, and his overall knowledge of all types of boats are just a few reasons for inclusion.

Skip Braver is someone that I can understand. He saved Cigarette. He brought the brand back to glory. Is he influential? Maybe or Maybe Not. I would replace him with someone that I, personally, don't always agree with and that is Stu Jones of Florida Powerboat Club. His Key West Poker Run and boat show parties are some of the biggest gathering of power boating enthusiasts in the world. John Haggin is another one that comes to mind. The guy is the biggest promoter of boating and boat racing.

Mike D'Anniballe is the one that really has me puzzled. Yes, the 1075 development by Mercury Racing was to compete with Sterling and Sterling has powered some of the boating elite. However, the life and longevity of engines are questionable at best. There are a few other engine builders that come to mind. Innovation Marine's Rick Lamore Jr. and Dennis Mathe are a lot more low profile than Mike at Sterling. Innovation knows a thing or two about tech inspection for racing and handling government-classified boats and engine packages. Plus, they were commissioned by Volvo to build their high performance engines 500 525 600hp. But, that was years ago. Mercury has always paid very close attention to what Innovation does. Also, Tommy at Chief comes to mind as well. Tommy is a former World Champion racer, himself. He builds high horsepower, super and turbo charged engines.

You did leave out the King of Speed Ken Warby. He is the fastest man on water and he isn't dead, yet!

Have Fun
    Big Andy

16. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    I think what needs clarifying is that I think Matt's list is people who are CURRENTLY being the most influential in the high-perf boating market (maybe not). If that's the case, I think his list is great! Maybe include Mike Fiore for his level of detail, or Nor-Tech. Or even Gary Stray for his creativity and quality of rigging.

If it is most influential over time, there are several people like Reggie Fountain, Michael Peters, and Dennis Cavanaugh that should be included.
    I'm with Jason's comments on this one.

Clarification Matt?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dollabill View Post
    Eliminator is a west coast lake boat. that simple. They may be nice and the founder may be a nice guy, but they don't belong on a list with that title.
    I disagree with you there in a BIG way Bill. Bob Leach brought the extreme performance boat ride to the masses.

Call them lake boats if you want but no other company has introduced more HIGH PERFORMANCE boaters to the world of catamarans than Eliminator.

18. Collapse Details

You would have to add Clive Curtis (Cougar Marine) He's 1/2 the founder of the offshore Cat.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post

Aesthetics are huge in our world.

Keep it coming. This is all good stuff.
    Following on that principal, you have to include Vincenz_Czerny, the father of the breast implant

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Following on that principal, you have to include Vincenz_Czerny, the father of the breast implant
    Parabellum FJ²B