Thread: Dual Batteries

1. Collapse Details
    Dual Batteries
    I am new to having an outboard so bear with me if this is a stupid question. I just picked up a new to me boat and it only has a single battery. It is a center console fishing boat so there will be days of just sitting with lights and stereo on for some time. I know with my other boats I could upgrade an altenator and have no issues but I was wondering how this would affect an outboard. Do they have upgrade kits or would it be able to handle 2 batteries?

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    You can add a second battery with no engine mod. Just don't turn the switch with the engine running. It is also best if the two batteries are same age and model as the will attempt to balance them selves. To charge simply select both while running.

3. Collapse Details

That is what I thought just checking, Thank you

4. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    You can add a second battery with no engine mod. Just don't turn the switch with the engine running. It is also best if the two batteries are same age and model as the will attempt to balance them selves. To charge simply select both while running.
    Again, just don't move the switch to "both" while running. Move the switch to "both" with the key off, then start and run to charge both.
    ________

5. Collapse Details

It sounds like you'd be better off getting a deep cycle for the second battery. It will start the boat fine if needed. Use the deep cycle when you are floating or anchored and running accesories.They are made to run up and down more than a standard starting battery. Switch the battery switch as needed to charge it.

6. Collapse Details

Thanks I didn't think of that.

7. Collapse Details

Anyone know what switch I would need? Do I need the one with the alternator field disconnect or just a standard switch. Again still learning about these outboards so bear with me. Thanks

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Standard switch.

9. Collapse Details

Your fast, Thanks again, Jimmy

10. Collapse Details

Standard Perko switch with Off/1/ALL/2