1. Collapse Details
    Opinionins needed from your experience
    I am buying a new tow vehicle. I am getting either an F350 or F450, I am sticking with DWR, My boat currently is only a 32 Advantage, but planning on upgrading to 39' (make to be determined), I also pull a 40' fifth wheel toy hauler on occasion. How much different is the milage between the two? I will be driveing it empty more than loaded. But when loaded I need the capacity.

2. Collapse Details

Depends on rear end ratio. You need to know the true and actual weight of what you're pulling and decide if you need to go 80 up grades before making the decision. Most likely the 350 is going to do what you want.

3. Collapse Details

Most of the time a 40' 5th wheel toy hauler is a heavy SOB. And I am a FIRM believer in you can NEVER have to much tow vehicle. And enough is not enough! IMHO
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

4. Collapse Details

Can the 450 be gotten with the 3.73 rear end or only 4.10?

5. Collapse Details

Don't think so.

6. Collapse Details

And in this instance, too much truck can be a hindrance. If it screams unnecessarily on the highway, that burns fuel and is uncomfortable. If it's over-sprung, it beats you up. Brakes shouldn't matter- if the brakes on the trailer are as good as they can be. In all other areas, the 350 and 450 are going to perform. Now, if you're over the 350's capacity, there's no choice. No smart one anyway.

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details

This is one of those situations where you need to know how much you are really pulling. And don't underestimate how much all that "stuff" you put in your toy hauler weighs. Most 40' toy haulers I have seen weigh well over 10K unloaded. And hold 3 to 4 "big bikes" They can weigh 800lbs or more. That's almost 14k before any of your "stuff" or water. fuel, ext is added. You can easily be looking at 15-16k. And that is pushing the limits of even the 450! Just know what you are trying to do. I do really like Fords integrated breaking system. It's tough to beat!
    The Penguin Cometh

9. Collapse Details

I pull a 38' Mountain Aire with my F350 Power Stroke, it weighs over 18K. I do have tandem Duallies and EoH breaking on the trailer and it pulls it no problem.I have pulled it across the country several times, legally I am over weight though. A one ton will pull anything a 450 will just not leagally. If your never in a accident then youll never have a problem as with recreational vehicles you dont need to run over scales, If you get in an accident then hold on you'll probably find you need a bigger truck than you think.

10. Collapse Details

Looking at the tow guide for the Crew Cab, 4x4, I should be ok with the 350, My toy hauler is 14,500, the 450 would be nice, but I like the gearing options on the 350 for when it is being used just as transportation.

Thanks all. What issues are being seen on the 6.4's

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
    I pull a 38' Mountain Aire with my F350 Power Stroke, it weighs over 18K. I do have tandem Duallies and EoH breaking on the trailer and it pulls it no problem.I have pulled it across the country several times, legally I am over weight though. A one ton will pull anything a 450 will just not leagally. If your never in a accident then youll never have a problem as with recreational vehicles you dont need to run over scales, If you get in an accident then hold on you'll probably find you need a bigger truck than you think.
    Yea those are heavy! Liability is the scary thing. We all know how insurance companys look for ways to get out of paying claims, and over weight is a sure fire way to give them a reason. It would suck to loose the house over not enough tow vehicle. IMHO
    The Penguin Cometh