Thread: Vizio

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Vizio
    What do the "experts" say about Vizio?

Vizio 55" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV

For only $1550, it looks like a good value for the money.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

2. Collapse Details

Not sure about the experts, but I bought a Vizio 42 LCD 3 years ago. And have been very happy with it. You can spend what you want on a TV, but at the end of the day they are disposible any way. Why spend more than you have to.
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

3. Collapse Details

I have two....no issues they were Costco specials and I am not a A/V Techy guy anyway!

4. Collapse Details

Don't waste your money!

http://hdguru.com/your-new-disposabl...anel-hdtv/107/

Some reviews Jayboat style:

Product Rating: Product Rating: 1.0

Don't buy Vizio 42" plasma
    by milliea ,Jul 06 '08
    Pros: None now.
    Cons: No parts, no service, not worth $1
    We had this tv for 2 yrs. and today the half the picture went black and then the whole screen went black. It has volume but that's all. $1499.00! I have found out that Vizio has no service and no parts available so we are screwed. I wouldn't recommend this tv to anyone.
    Read more

Product Rating: Product Rating: 3.0
    VIZIO LCD TV
    by norstarguru ,Dec 26 '07
    Pros: Sleek Leaking, Very affordable $900.00 Sams Club.
    Cons: Black screen when powering on sometimes.
    I have had my Vizio for exactly one year now, The picture is ok, but I have a had a problem with it since about the second month I bought it.. When turning the TV on it will go to a black screen then you have to turn it off, wait for the tuner to make a click noise then turn it back on, I have been very happy with it though, I have it wall mounted with a Sanyo wall mount surround and dvd. I get many compliments on how sharp it looks on the wall.

Product Rating: Product Rating: 1.0
    Visio is Junk
    by mcneal ,Jul 11 '09
    Pros: Low initial price but for a throwaway TV that last one year???
    Cons: Cannot get repair or parts. It is a throwaway TV.
    After the warranty expired the Viseo started having screwy picture problems. It got so bad, we could no longer use it. The Visio reccommended service company quoted a flat repair rate that is almost what we paid for the TV. Local Television shops said to throw it away because you cannot get parts for it.

The last sentence of the last review is VERY accurate. At last count, our repair shop had over 25 Visios - no parts! That is because you don't know who made the set. One week it may be Toshiba, another week NEC and so on. They buy panels from whoever has the lowest price that week on panels that won't pass quality control. In other words, the factory doesn't throw away panels that have failures. The sell them to Visio and other 3rd tier off name brands.

The price of 1st tier goods has dropped! Do you know how many HOURS you watch a TV? Go get one that is worth watching (yes the pictures vary ALOT) and worth owning. Yeah - you might spend a $100 or $200 more - what is that; 1/2 a tank of gas???
    Don't go the cheap route.
    BillR

5. Collapse Details

You get what you pay for but IMHO I'd buy it, then replace it in 2 years if it craps out and feel like I got my moneys worth out of it.

Whatever you buy a 2 years from now will be superior than what you buy today; buy values and buy often (2-3 years tops for me).

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    You get what you pay for but IMHO I'd buy it, then replace it in 2 years if it craps out and feel like I got my moneys worth out of it.

Whatever you buy a 2 years from now will be superior than what you buy today; buy values and buy often (2-3 years tops for me).
    The first "feature" says...

Costco extends manufacture warranty to 2 years

Sounds like a good deal to me.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

7. Collapse Details

I have had a 36 LCD Vizio for about (3) years. Good picture and still running fine.

8. Collapse Details

I have Vizio's 3 bedrooms. All of them have great HD and no problems.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    The first "feature" says...

Costco extends manufacture warranty to 2 years

Sounds like a good deal to me.
    I was more going from the angle of a "cheap" set vs a "good" set picture quality.

Buy the best set now and cheapest set 2 years from now will have a 10 times better picture. So I say buy the cheap set now, and then replace it with a cheap set in 2 years. Over 10 years you will have 5 different TV's but all but the 1st one will outperform if you bought the best of the best once and kept it 10 years.

Sure- they could last longer than 2 years; Just saying going for the best of the best today will be yesterdays tech tomorrow. 120HZ sets were $2K last year, can be had for $400 this year but 240HZ are $2K this year, wait a year and they will be $400 because XHZ will be out and hot by then.

10. Collapse Details

MM the environment loves you

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    I was more going from the angle of a "cheap" set vs a "good" set picture quality.

Buy the best set now and cheapest set 2 years from now will have a 10 times better picture. So I say buy the cheap set now, and then replace it with a cheap set in 2 years. Over 10 years you will have 5 different TV's but all but the 1st one will outperform if you bought the best of the best once and kept it 10 years.

Sure- they could last longer than 2 years; Just saying going for the best of the best today will be yesterdays tech tomorrow. 120HZ sets were $2K last year, can be had for $400 this year but 240HZ are $2K this year, wait a year and they will be $400 because XHZ will be out and hot by then.
    I hate to keep replacing things, especially electronics. Three years ago, I bought a 32" Samsung LCD. At that point, it was the best one I could find, but only 1080i. I have no need now for 1080p, yet. It was one of the most expensive 32' sets around, and had the best specs. For $1300 delivered through Amazon, it was also one of the best bargains at that time.

I've looked at many sets since, including a friend's new Vizio, and another's LG. Between DVD's and HD cable, my set has nothing to apologize for, and it's 3 years old. I intend to have it for a long time in some location or another, probably as a second set.

I also have a small 20" Vizio upstairs in the kids room. It's 1080p, but pretty mediocre overall. It was cheap at Costco.

12. Collapse Details

I have a Yugo. They are great. They are cheap, get me to work, and get great mileage. Plus, 3 years from now, They will have shock absorbers! So after 3 years, I'll upgrade and will have gotten my moneys worth.

Some of you guys sound like blow boaters - need I say anything more.
    BillR

13. Collapse Details

I am really curious about these also...
    I looked at ALOT of lcds this past weekend. Side by side I thought a couple of the best pics I saw were Vizios and they were $100s cheaper.
    I am only looking at a 47" but for $700-$800 they seemed to look WAY better than anything else close in price...
    I see alot of ravings about how they are a big POS, and you gotta spend more; but seems like everyone writting these types of reviews owns another brand at 3x the cost and just happens to know a horror story. The above link reagrding warranty and reapirs (THANKS for sharing, I appreciate any and all info and opinions when spending my hard earned $$) seems pretty shakey to me. That seems like an excellent example of a buyer needing to beware and do their homework with any purchase. AND there are always store service agreements etc to p/u some type of protection. I understand the Yugo comment and mentality, but I have seen and heard some folks swearing by these "other" brands (Vizio, Olivea, and LOTS more @ TigerDirect.com) After seeing a good number of sets side by side, I gotta wonder why so much hate towards Vizio personally? I have yet to buy and trying to do my homework, but any negatives seem SO JADED and hateful they are hard to respect and give credit to...My .02

THANKS

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    I have a Yugo. They are great. They are cheap, get me to work, and get great mileage. Plus, 3 years from now, They will have shock absorbers! So after 3 years, I'll upgrade and will have gotten my moneys worth.

not really. it is more like buying an off brand 525 HP engine instead of a Mercury Racing 525 HP engine. You save a bunch of money so you plan on replacing it in a couple of years. You might have problems with it before hand, but it is under warranty.

so... if it is a TV that is not going to be hung on a wall, I'd go for it. If you are going to hang it, especially up high, buy something you won't have to take down. It's a PITA lifting 50" or more. I have two 50"+ TV's hanging high in the air and don't want to take them down again. ever.

15. Collapse Details

You can do much better for just a few bucks more. The store demos are stunted so you can't see the true performance of the TV. Ask them to put on a hi-def sporting event and try to watch it.

16. Collapse Details

So what is your brand of choice then? I am in teh process of buying two new LCD's myself.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
    I hate to keep replacing things, especially electronics. Three years ago, I bought a 32" Samsung LCD. At that point, it was the best one I could find, but only 1080i. I have no need now for 1080p, yet. It was one of the most expensive 32' sets around, and had the best specs. For $1300 delivered through Amazon, it was also one of the best bargains at that time.
    $1300!

$400 3 years ago for 1080I 60HZ
    $400 2 years ago for 1080I 60HZ
    $400 now for 1080P 120HZ

So 33% of the time, for the same money, you would be watching a better TV and have $100 left in your coffer. Add a few bucks to that for how much more efficient they are as well. Some say 120HZ, 240HZ is a sales pitch- could be- just pointing out it is at least equal if not better than a 3 year old set.

Personal preference- just pointing out another way of looking at it is all.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Five Cent Worth View Post
    So what is your brand of choice then? I am in teh process of buying two new LCD's myself.
    I don't care for them.
    Best LCD picture I have ever seen is from NuVision! Think I am going to pick that line up.
    The full array LG LCD's look GREAT too.
    Could have changed and not speaking for BillR whom I respect his knowledge and expertise on; just posting from the past to help pass the knowledge. If you want me to delete; with all means I will.

If I had a media room that would be one thing; some thing hanging over my pantry to catch the news while making a drink is another.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eye.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You can do much better for just a few bucks more. The store demos are stunted so you can't see the true performance of the TV. Ask them to put on a hi-def sporting event and try to watch it.

Ding Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner. The stores make more money on the off brands and the make them look as good as possible - while (generally) the better less profitable sets are made to not look so hot.

What would I buy? Good bang for the buck is LG, or a Sony (which is a Samsung, but the menu and repair service is better)

You guys ask for opinion, then when you don't hear what you want, you argue. Do you really want the advice. Go to your local electronics repair and quiz them.

Here is the same question only boat related:
    I've heard the Powerquest (i used to have one) 38 is just as good as the Cigarette Top Gun - so what do you guys think?
    It is SO much cheaper, I could have 2 or 3 of them for the price of a Cig. I looked at a PQ and I can't tell the difference. Plus my buddy has one and LOVES it. He says PQ are the best. Plus they run the same speed with similar power. . . . . . etc etc?

How many of you are gonna check out a PQ when it is time to buy (just using PQ as example)

BTW: PQ is no longer a factory. Nor is there a Visio factory, nor is there an Olevio, Westinghouse, Dynex, Insignia, Akai, Apex, or Coby factory.
    Last edited by BillR; 11-17-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    BillR

20. Collapse Details

Good bang for the buck is LG, or a Sony (which is a Samsung, but the menu and repair service is better)
    To he honest the Visio I bought was all about size- only 24" I could find or I'd have to drop down to a 20" in another brand.

Just wanted to make sure you know we/I appreciate your advice and taking the time to post. Some of us even follow it! I bought a 40 and a 32 Sony in the last 30 days based on YOUR advice.