Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Barrier Coating The Bottom of The Boat
    Looks like were having it done to try and keep the blisters away. We were told that it is a smooth epoxy that is applied and is good for 5 years. Anybody have any pictures of what the stuff looks like (googled and didn't find much)? Is it going to be clear or white? Will it make the boat slower? Pretty much, is it going to look like chit?

Thanx guys!

2. Collapse Details

I barrier coated a bunch of boats but it was years ago and the stuff may have changed.... The Interlux 3000 we used was white and it was rolled on.... You could have it sprayed but we never did because it would be bottom painted over anyway. Even though it was rolled it would sorta self-level.

3. Collapse Details

The barrier coat under my bottom paint looks yellowish like a resin that was brushed on. I can see it where the ablative bottom paint has come off. They did 3 coatings on my bottom. the barrier coat , a signal coat that lets me know when to re-coat the ablative anti fouling paint the the anti fouling paint.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jhenrie View Post
    The barrier coat under my bottom paint looks yellowish like a resin that was brushed on. I can see it where the ablative bottom paint has come off. They did 3 coatings on my bottom. the barrier coat , a signal coat that lets me know when to re-coat the ablative anti fouling paint the the anti fouling paint.
    so you think its safe to assume its not going to match the white gel coat? can i still acid wash the bottom with the barrier coat?

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Perlmudder View Post
    so you think its safe to assume its not going to match the white gel coat? can i still acid wash the bottom with the barrier coat?
    Interlux barrier coat is grey in color will last indefinately and when coated with VC 17 teflon bottom coat .(comes in colors now),you will never have to acid wash your hull again and will NOT SLOW YOU DOWN -Great stuff!!!!

7. Collapse Details

Josh, just rhino line the damn thing and be done with it
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

8. Collapse Details

We put some of the Interlux on a Baja and from 10' away you couldn't tell it was bottom painted. Up close you could see a little texture. They say if you put on a couple extra coats you can wet sand and buff it and then you'll never see it. It's good stuff!!

9. Collapse Details

I always looked at the speed thing like this. Yes it will slow you down a tiny bit, but not hardly as much as a boat that has soaked up water and has growth all over the bottom of it. Even a little bit of growth witll slow you down more then the paint. IMO if you leave the boat in the water long term even in fresh water you should do it.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
    I always looked at the speed thing like this. Yes it will slow you down a tiny bit, but not hardly as much as a boat that has soaked up water and has growth all over the bottom of it. Even a little bit of growth witll slow you down more then the paint. IMO if you leave the boat in the water long term even in fresh water you should do it.
    .....or buy an Airdock. A bit more on the upfront costs...but works great.

www.airdock.com

11. Collapse Details

Our fountain sat in the water all summer with no bottom paint. By the end of the summer we lost 5 mph. It cleaned up nice with muratic acid and no signs of blistering but I think I will bottom paint next year to try and stop the soaking and slowing down effect.

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by 38fountainSC View Post
    Our fountain sat in the water all summer with no bottom paint. By the end of the summer we lost 5 mph. It cleaned up nice with muratic acid and no signs of blistering but I think I will bottom paint next year to try and stop the soaking and slowing down effect.
    Remember this. Bottom paint is not a water barrier coat, only water barrier coats will stop soaking. As far as bottom paints go they all soak water up like a sponge and ad hull wieght except for VC17 by Interlux. just do not want you to make a bad mistake.

13. Collapse Details

Registered
    VC17 by interlux will not slow you down but should actually speed you up. I've personal experience with this product on several boats in West Michigan.

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop Kyle View Post
    We put some of the Interlux on a Baja and from 10' away you couldn't tell it was bottom painted. Up close you could see a little texture. They say if you put on a couple extra coats you can wet sand and buff it and then you'll never see it. It's good stuff!!
    Your correct, just want to add wet sand only with old sand paper, you want to burnish the metal in the teflon to make it perfectly smooth, new paper will cut not burnish. I prefer to use a beveled edge bronze block to burnish VC17.

15. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    Josh, just rhino line the damn thing and be done with it

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FASTERDAD View Post
    Your correct, just want to add wet sand only with old sand paper, you want to burnish the metal in the teflon to make it perfectly smooth, new paper will cut not burnish. I prefer to use a beveled edge bronze block to burnish VC17.

I have not done it myself, but I have heard of rubbing vc17 with newspaper to burnish it....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

17. Collapse Details

IMO if you leave the boat in the water long term even in fresh water you should do it.
    I agree and hull's blister easier in fresh than salt.

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Perlmudder View Post
    I've had the Interlux white epoxy bottom coat on my fountain for 6-7 years.
    I acid wash it once a year and frequently wipe it down with black streak remover also after each use to remove the waterline crud. It has held up perfectly.
    The color is slightly to the grey side as compared to the original hull gel. Mine was rolled on and tipped with a brush and although it isn't prefectly smooth like gel but I'll take it over any alternative.
    ed

19. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    I agree and hull's blister easier in fresh than salt.
    I agree Fresh water is less dense and can seep through easier.

20. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    I have not done it myself, but I have heard of rubbing vc17 with newspaper to burnish it....
    I've heard that too,haven't tried it but the Teflon is soooo thin that it doesn't take muchto burnish, I'll give it a try next spring-thanks