Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    GM 6.0L water pump
    My 2006 Denali XL is suffering from what appears to be a common problem with the 6.0L motor - leaking water pump. Stealer wants $550 - $600 to replace. Looks like the pump is about $100. I've replaced many a water pump back in the day on small block chevys but never on these newer motors. Any reason not to tackle this repair myself? For those familiar with these motors, is there anything I need to be aware of during the swap (thread sealant, anti-seize, loc-tite, torque settings, etc.)? Thanks.

2. Collapse Details

You'll probably need a couple special tools. A belt tool and I believe one to release the hose ends- either heater hoses or the bypass. Can't remember which.
    Last edited by Chris; 11-02-2009 at 01:15 PM.

3. Collapse Details

the books call for about 2 hours in labor, sounds like someone is making some coin if they are charging you $600

Whats the dealers hourly rate?

4. Collapse Details

It is a pretty straightforward repair, and you will likely find it is just the gaskets leaking, they rarely leak from the pump seal itself.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    the books call for about 2 hours in labor, sounds like someone is making some coin if they are charging you $600

Thought the same thing. Called the GMC and Chevy dealer in town and both quoted the same. Not sure what their shop rates are.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    It is a pretty straightforward repair, and you will likely find it is just the gaskets leaking, they rarely leak from the pump seal itself.
    Thanks. Looked pretty straightforward to me too. There is Dex-Cool puddled near the pully so it appears to be leaking out the weep hole of the pump.

7. Collapse Details

Don't feel alone. I had my Excursion in for a recall repair. They saw a trans line leaking- quoted me $264. It was a 40 cent o-ring. Took all of 5 minutes to repair.

8. Collapse Details

Must of misunderstood them the first time. Here is the breakdown from the dealer:

Pump $339.72
    Coolant (2 gal) $42.66
    Labor (2 hr) $208.94
    Tuck's Medicated Pad for bunghole $NC

$641.82

9. Collapse Details

My buddy just had it done on his 2500 pickup (60K miles/2004 model). Stealership wanted $650, local mechanic did it for $550. Stealership warranted the delco product for 12 mo/12K miles was the only advantage.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    Must of misunderstood them the first time. Here is the breakdown from the dealer:

Pump $339.72
    Coolant (2 gal) $42.66
    Labor (2 hr) $208.94
    Tuck's Medicated Pad for bunghole $NC

$641.82
    I am the service manager at a Ford dealer our shop rate is 82/ hr. I never try to hose anyone, repeat biz and positive recommendations are key!!!!!!!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    My buddy just had it done on his 2500 pickup (60K miles/2004 model). Stealership wanted $650, local mechanic did it for $550. Stealership warranted the delco product for 12 mo/12K miles was the only advantage.
    Plus certified technicians! Those who don't know don't know. Most of the backyard and local bert and ernie mechanics are calling here all day long because they need help or have questions. When you get your vehicle serviced at your so called "stealership" you get the experience and expertise of a trained tech, plus a facility that stands behind their work!!!!!

12. Collapse Details

Plus certified technicians! Those who don't know don't know. Most of the backyard and local bert and ernie mechanics are calling here all day long because they need help or have questions. When you get your vehicle serviced at your so called "stealership" you get the experience and expertise of a trained tech, plus a facility that stands behind their work!!!!!
    Andy no argument here.....see my "good job GM" thread. My waterpump went on my diesel at 106K miles and it was almost $800 but I had them do it (also not a lot of independent shops want to work on diesels).

But the "stealership" wanted $157 to change the fuel filter (Delco filter is $40) and it is a unscrew/screw on deal then prime the fuel pump when you are done. Messy for a first timer but not $120 in labor messy! I suspect the job is marked up timewise to remove the inside fender cover/ you can pull it out of the way to do the job without removing it (30 seconds vs 30 minutes).

13. Collapse Details

Andy no argument here.....see my "good job GM" thread. My waterpump went on my diesel at 106K miles and it was almost $800 but I had them do it (also not a lot of independent shops want to work on diesels).

But the "stealership" wanted $157 to change the fuel filter (Delco filter is $40) and it is a unscrew/screw on deal then prime the fuel pump when you are done. Messy for a first timer but not $120 in labor messy! I suspect the job is marked up timewise to remove the inside fender cover/ you can pull it out of the way to do the job without removing it (30 seconds vs 30 minutes).
    the books calls for 1.1 hrs in labor! I normally charge around a 1/2 to change most fuel filters. On ford diesels the fuel filter on the frame rail takes some time to change and its alot easier done whiles its in the air

14. Collapse Details

I recently replaced the water pump on my 2004 Silverado. I bought the pump for $110, and paid an oil change place $225 to do the work.

It was alot cheaper than the Chevy dealership.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    I recently replaced the water pump on my 2004 Silverado. I bought the pump for $110, and paid an oil change place $225 to do the work.

It was alot cheaper than the Chevy dealership.
    Be carefull I would not let most of the guys that work in those places put gas in my lawnmower.

16. Collapse Details

Actually they call me first to get the special tools needed....Find out they are $500.00 then they call you.I can find out if you need any thing special to do the water pump tomorrow PM me.

Like any business you are not just paying for the time you are paying for what it takes to run the shop.For the most part dealership guys are better techs.There are some real scary guys working on cars trust me.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Expensive Date View Post
    Actually they call me first to get the special tools needed....Find out they are $500.00 then they call you.I can find out if you need any thing special to do the water pump tomorrow PM me.

Like any business you are not just paying for the time you are paying for what it takes to run the shop.For the most part dealership guys are better techs.There are some real scary guys working on cars trust me.
    Just like I said above. I am tempted to tell some guys to go the library and get a book. Everyone always wants free info!

18. Collapse Details

I used to remove the passenger-side battery on my 2004 2500HD DMax to replace the filter. Took about 30 minutes total time start to finish.

19. Collapse Details

Lots of turnover in the service department at the local dealers. Very scary who they have writing the tickets, let alone doing the work. Totally different world the last couple of years. I'm glad my warranty is up because I was having to go to other shops to correct the warranty work the local dealership was performing incorrectly. And in some cases, I would end up fixing it myself after repeated attempts on their end to unsuccessfully address simple problems. I miss the good old days where I could pull into the service bay, be referred to by name, know most of the folks in the shop, and have a repair done competently and at a competitive price. Those days are long gone around here.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    Lots of turnover in the service department at the local dealers. Very scary who they have writing the tickets, let alone doing the work. Totally different world the last couple of years. I'm glad my warranty is up because I was having to go to other shops to correct the warranty work the local dealership was performing incorrectly. And in some cases, I would end up fixing it myself after repeated attempts on their end to unsuccessfully address simple problems. I miss the good old days where I could pull into the service bay, be referred to by name, know most of the folks in the shop, and have a repair done competently and at a competitive price. Those days are long gone around here.
    Sorry to hear that. The car biz is tough right now with the current economic conditions. Most customers are living with problems that they hadn't in the past, tough for everyone from the top down!