Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

couple examples....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BBC piston.jpg   IMG_0007C.jpg   th_burned2.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    I'm going with pre-ignition of some sort. How did the rod bearings look?

If it leaned out I would think it would have melted the piston in the 1-2 pm location near the intake valve relief since it's the thinnest area on the edge of the piston near the ringland..

As far as being able to catch it or stop it...don't think there's anything you could have done, it happens too quickly... Having an A/F meter would have helped before you went WOT but we dont' all have access to that!

My $.02.
    The AFR was where it was supposed to be according to the dyno, I have a AEM wide band in the boat mounted in the pipe after the collector (SM Gen III) on the even side.

The rod bearings and crank looked like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sm_Picture 220.jpg   sm_Picture 221.jpg   sm_Picture 226.jpg  

28 F1 Pantera - Sit down and foot throttle | DPM Drive

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    If it goes lean the exhaust valves will glow red...and detonate is there, that wasnīt the case but on the other hand no 6 is the leanest running cyl in a BBC.
    Was there any carb tuning done at the dyno session ?
    I donīt remember the dyno session ..you posted it somewhere didnīt you Tomas?
    Yes we tuned the carbs and the timing on the dyno

93octane graph and an overlay of 91 and 93 octane (solid lines are 93):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Graf 98OKT 870HP 1126NM.jpg   Overlaygraf 95 samt 98.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Wallin View Post
    The AFR was where it was supposed to be according to the dyno, I have a AEM wide band in the boat mounted in the pipe after the collector (SM Gen III) on the even side.

The rod bearings and crank looked like this:
    That marking on the top bearing is consistent with pre-ignition/detonation. Oil actually gets squeezed out and the crank and brg touch.

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    That marking on the top bearing is consistent with pre-ignition/detonation. Oil actually gets squeezed out and the crank and brg touch.
    Ok, I hear you, that's good to know what it looks like!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Was just about to type that!!!

7. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Was just about to type that!!!
    But that we already knew, the question is why it pre-ignite/detonated.

8. Collapse Details

well I'm leaning away from lean per my previous posts,,,, so I'd be looking at timing, octane of your fuel, heat range of plugs, crossfire, cooling, etc. etc.

Might be a good idea to have your fuel tested... The guy at the gas station may have been hung over and hit the 89 button instead of 93.

9. Collapse Details

...and we're back to why just one cylinder.

10. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    well I'm ruling away from lean per my previous posts,,,, so I'd be looking at timing, octane of your fuel, heat range of plugs, crossfire, etc. etc.

Might be a good idea to have your fuel tested... The guy at the gas station may have been hung over and hit the 89 button instead of 93.
    I filled it on a land gas station, and pushed the 93 button myself, so the fuel should be ok.

All this happened in the beginning of summer so I have refueled a few times since then...

Heat range of plugs brings it back to my original question about the loose plug. Is there any descent way to find out if it crossfires? Besides looking at the wires at night...
    Last edited by Tomas Wallin; 10-27-2009 at 05:29 PM.

11. Collapse Details

I look at the wires very closely and see if you can see any white chalky marks. To be honest, I dont' think you're ever going to know exactly why it was only one piston....

Last time I detonated an engine I forgot to turn on a fuel pump and it toasted #7 bad and started getting #5 on one engine. On the other engine is blew the head gasket on #5.

A long time ago I detonated an engine and it only took out #7 and every other cylinder was good. So go figure!

Another boat I worked on (45 Sonic with HP500's) leaned out and detonated due to the chinsy fuel/water pump setup the late models had. The spark plug sorta welded itself into the GM style cylinder head.. I had to heat the head to loosen the plug.

12. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I look at the wires very closely and see if you can see any white chalky marks. To be honest, I dont' think you're ever going to know exactly why it was only one piston....

Last time I detonated an engine I forgot to turn on a fuel pump and it toasted #7 bad and started getting #5 on one engine. On the other engine is blew the head gasket on #5.

A long time ago I detonated an engine and it only took out #7 and every other cylinder was good. So go figure!

Another boat I worked on (45 Sonic with HP500's) leaned out and detonated due to the chinsy fuel/water pump setup the late models had. The spark plug sorta welded itself into the GM style cylinder head.. I had to heat the head to loosen the plug.
    I won't get a definite answer but perhaps I will know more than I started out with. Just wan't to make my best to elimiate the risk of it happening again.

13. Collapse Details

I hear ya! What were your brake specific and A/F numbers?

Another example of lean-out....these pictures were from not turning on the fuel pumps....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails burnedpiston 001.jpg   burnedpiston 003.jpg   burnedpiston 004.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    You can ensure you have enough water pressure. Some add fittings to the rear of the intake too.
    Correct!
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

15. Collapse Details

I dunno, I don't want to dissagree but the valve relieve usually goes first on all the BBC's I've done it to.... The ring-land in the relief area is significantly thinner than everywhere else and it's also sharper..

I've blown a few up in my years from being lean and every single time it took out the piston in the relief area... 5/7 seem to be the worst, at least on the ones I blew up, by my own silly mistakes I might add..
    I've lost 2 #5s and 1 #8 on two.

I think the blower size and intake style have alot to do with the moving air to the cylinders.

Always #5
    Forget Lightspeed go straight to LUDICROUS SPEED!!

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Wallin View Post
    It's a carbed (2x Holley 800cfm) 509ci with Superchiller and 8-71 with 9.5PSI boost@6000rpm. Iron heads and 8.3:1 in compression, very little total run time on motor since rebuilt and 10minutes run time since dyno (warmup)... This happened at wot.
    9.5 pounds of boost melted your piston I would not run anything above 6# with the crappy fuel they sell these days with humidity gathering ethanol.

If early in the year you might have had old fuel that would not help with that high a boost.

17. Collapse Details

Did you ever do plug checks when tuning? If the plug in that hole was loose the question becomes did the detonation cause the plug to loosen or was it never really tight? That plug may have just become a glow plug from being loose and caused severe preignition. I feel your heat range is good with the 41's. What condition are the plug wires in?

18. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    9.5 pounds of boost melted your piston I would not run anything above 6# with the crappy fuel they sell these days with humidity gathering ethanol.

If early in the year you might have had old fuel that would not help with that high a boost.
    But why did the other cylinders look perfect? Of course it has to start somewhere but still... The fuel tank was dry when I filled it up for this little trip - on a land gas station so the fuel should be in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE View Post
    Did you ever do plug checks when tuning? If the plug in that hole was loose the question becomes did the detonation cause the plug to loosen or was it never really tight? That plug may have just become a glow plug from being loose and caused severe preignition. I feel your heat range is good with the 41's. What condition are the plug wires in?
    The dyno guy and his helper checked the plugs during the dyno so I can't guarantee anything...

My plug wires had 20 hours on them. http://www.keitheickert.com/detail.aspx?ID=7927

19. Collapse Details

Tomas it doesnīt take much time to melt a piston. And the #4 IMO was already going too.. so if youīd stayed on it a little more there wouldīve been two.

Iīm still saying itīs cooling related. Either the Intercooler or head.

You Should switch to E85 or E95 as your engine seems to like to run like a Diesel
    Or then the Dyno guy just tuned your engine too lean.

Regarding the loose plug issue...heat and detonation does it.

* No Voodoo Here...
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    I've lost 2 #5s and 1 #8 on two.

I think the blower size and intake style have alot to do with the moving air to the cylinders.

Always #5
    5 and 7 are next to each other in the firing order so itīs not a bad idea to change the firing order. Also the no5 has the shortest runner so itīs always a problem.