Thread: Raising the X

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Artie, Mexico was great!!! Now back to reality, its freekin cold outside. I am going to work on it a little more in the morning before the bowl. I will post more pics tomorow.

2. Collapse Details
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffswav View Post
    Artie, Mexico was great!!! Now back to reality, its freekin cold outside. I am going to work on it a little more in the morning before the bowl. I will post more pics tomorow.
    So Jeff did you wear your speedo or your thong at the beach ?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    So Jeff did you wear your speedo or your thong at the beach ?
    I think I will leave that one alone

4. Collapse Details

I think I will leave that one alone
    I know i would , but then again what happens in Mexico stay's in Mexico .

5. Collapse Details

Here are the pics for today. Sealed up all the holes and the cuttout. Check out the drain tubes I installed on the stringers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails transom 054.jpg   transom 055.jpg   transom 056.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Here are the pics for today. Sealed up all the holes and the cuttout. Check out the drain tubes I installed on the stringers.
    Jeff , everything l@@ks great and are the weep holes flush to the bottom of the boat from one side to another to allow proper flow of water from one side to another in the bilge area ? Jeff , in you pics the weep hole's looks rather high and with that in mind ..................

7. Collapse Details

Jeff , everything l@@ks great and are the weep holes flush to the bottom of the boat from one side to another to allow proper flow of water from one side to another in the bilge area ? Jeff , in you pics the weep hole's looks rather high and with that in mind ..................
    Your looking at the bilge side, the other side is flush with the bottom. The water always got trapped on the other side of the stringer. The PVC pipe has a slight slope. Water tends to curl back under so I left a little hang over on the other side rather than cut it off flush.

8. Collapse Details

Looks good, you are one step ahead of me on the transom job... Looking forward to your results on gel coating the bilge, curious on how much of a pita it is to get done smooth!
    I am debating on gel or awlgrip on mine.

Keep up the good work.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Spyder View Post
    Looks good, you are one step ahead of me on the transom job... Looking forward to your results on gel coating the bilge, curious on how much of a pita it is to get done smooth!
    I am debating on gel or awlgrip on mine.

Keep up the good work.
    The tough part is getting it preped, my work is pretty good but the factory glass is not exactally ready for paint. It will not be perfect like the outside but it will look better than what I had. My inlaws live near you but we are usually only there on the weekends. If I ever get through Columbia durring business hours I will stop and take a look at your shop.

10. Collapse Details

Come on by, I am here Saturday mornings sometimes as well.

11. Collapse Details

Your looking at the bilge side, the other side is flush with the bottom. The water always got trapped on the other side of the stringer. The PVC pipe has a slight slope. Water tends to curl back under so I left a little hang over on the other side rather than cut it off flush.
    Cool , just asking and when are you going to shoot the transom ?

12. Collapse Details

Cool , just asking and when are you going to shoot the transom ?
    I think I am going to work on the bilge first, that will give me a little more feel on how this stuff works. I am going to brush the corners and tight spots and roll the flat areas in the bilge. Then I plan on spraying the outside, I will probably plan on 2 coats. On the outside I think I will shoot a coat then block it down to get rid of imperfections. Then shoot the finish coat and bock it down with a finner finish. Then buff!!
    Will the Gel stick to the old bilge paint or will I have to get it to bare glass. I have started sanding with 40 grit paper with the DA. It gets pretty smooth but it is hard to get it all the way down.

13. Collapse Details

I think I am going to work on the bilge first, that will give me a little more feel on how this stuff works. I am going to brush the corners and tight spots and roll the flat areas in the bilge. Then I plan on spraying the outside, I will probably plan on 2 coats. On the outside I think I will shoot a coat then block it down to get rid of imperfections. Then shoot the finish coat and bock it down with a finner finish. Then buff!!
    Will the Gel stick to the old bilge paint or will I have to get it to bare glass. I have started sanding with 40 grit paper with the DA. It gets pretty smooth but it is hard to get it all the way down.
    Jeff the 40 grit is fine even 80 and there is no need to go to bare glass .

14. Collapse Details

Just make sure you fill in all the tiny microscopic pin-holes of your finished surface before you paint the transom... The moment you start shooting the primer you'll find out where all the pin-holes are!!! (Don't ask how I know.. )

To find all the pin-holes, sand it down...wash with acetone, blow with air gun, wash again... then lightly mist some black spray paint on the entire area...

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Just make sure you fill in all the tiny microscopic pin-holes of your finished surface before you paint the transom... The moment you start shooting the primer you'll find out where all the pin-holes are!!! (Don't ask how I know.. )

To find all the pin-holes, sand it down...wash with acetone, blow with air gun, wash again... then lightly mist some black spray paint on the entire area...
    Thanks for the input. I am going to start on it tomorow. I am going to roll and brush the bilge with gel coat. I am planning on spraying the outside with gel then sand it down till its smooth then shoot another coat. The first coat of gel will kind of be my finish filler. I have it really close right now but like you said you always have a few pin holes in the glass. The minor defects should sand out on the first coat. I will post some pics tomorow after I am done for the day. Wish me luck!!

16. Collapse Details

Here are the pics from this morning. I got the first coat of gel on. I have a quesion for Artie or anyone else. How long do I have to wait to wash off the Green Primer and apply another coat of Gell?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails transom 057.jpg   transom 058.jpg   transom 059.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

Here are the pics from this morning. I got the first coat of gel on. I have a quesion for Artie or anyone else. How long do I have to wait to wash off the Green Primer and apply another coat of Gell?
    Jeff seeing that you put the first coat on in the moring you should be good to go and im sure you have already washed of the pva and prepping the surface for another coat. Jeff , when you get ready to spray / or just before give me a call .

18. Collapse Details

Jeff seeing that you put the first coat on in the moring you should be good to go and im sure you have already washed of the pva and prepping the surface for another coat. Jeff , when you get ready to spray / or just before give me a call .
    Yep, I waited a few hours and then washed off the primer with soap and water. I had a oil leak this summer and oil got trapped under the cocpit area. When I washed the bilge oil started rolling out and I spent a couple hours cleaning that crap up. It may be to cold tomorow to work on it. Going to the Winery in the afternoon for Valentines Day so I will not have much time anyway. Looks pretty good so far.

19. Collapse Details

Yep, I waited a few hours and then washed off the primer with soap and water. I had a oil leak this summer and oil got trapped under the cocpit area. When I washed the bilge oil started rolling out and I spent a couple hours cleaning that crap up. It may be to cold tomorow to work on it. Going to the Winery in the afternoon for Valentines Day so I will not have much time anyway. Looks pretty good so far.
    Cool , and if your happy with everything thats all that matters . Jeff , funny thing im also going to a Winery tomorrow .

20. Collapse Details

Cool , and if your happy with everything thats all that matters . Jeff , funny thing im also going to a Winery tomorrow .
    Gotta make the wife happy. Otherwise things get all screwed up.