Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Difference between 496 and 496 HO
    Are the heads or intake different between the 2 or is it just the cam?

2. Collapse Details

Cam and ECU that's it. Oh and a couple stickers.

3. Collapse Details

registered
    I think that it's 50 HP

4. Collapse Details
    Can the ecu be reprogrammed or do you have to buy an HO ecu?

5. Collapse Details

Raylar can reprogram the ECU's. I asked them about this a few years ago. Decided not to do it because of limited Prop selection ( duoprops ) anyway, They told me a cam swap and ECU reprogram would turn my MAG's into HO's . I think it was 700 bucks per ECU. Not sure what the cam cost is.
    2005 Formula 330ss

6. Collapse Details

Banned
    I think the heads are ported more also ,,,,bigger runners ????

thats why they call it HO = HIGH OUTPUT !!!!!!!!!!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    I think the heads are ported more also ,,,,bigger runners ????

thats why they call it HO = HIGH OUTPUT !!!!!!!!!!
    Nope, Same heads.

8. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim'd Up View Post
    Nope, Same heads.
    mmmhhhhhh,,,then why spend the money on a HO ????

9. Collapse Details

496 is 13,999.99 and Ho is 15,299.99 on ebay from the same company. That works out to be about right. My marina told me an HO ECU is 1200.00 and cam is about 300.00. Sounds about right.

10. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SickSation View Post
    496 is 13,999.99 and Ho is 15,299.99 on ebay from the same company. That works out to be about right. My marina told me an HO ECU is 1200.00 and cam is about 300.00. Sounds about right.
    Yeah,,but if u can get the ECU remapped,,and change the cam your looking at +500 ??!! i guess, plus u can sell the standard cam . NO ??

The cam ,,,300 ,,no matter which one ??!! so thats a no brainer ,,,toooooooooo much money for the HO ,,same with the ECU,,its on the standard one aswell ??!!

11. Collapse Details

Warranty? Typical merc, just another way to increase profits.

12. Collapse Details

registered
    Come on man, you get 50 more horsepower! Surely that's got to be worth more.

13. Collapse Details

You can send you computer to Whipple and get their stage 2 ecu programming for around the same price and have a little more hp than the HO programming.

14. Collapse Details
    Don't bang on your Buck!
    Wink
    Contrary to some beliefs, reprogramming a stock 496 other than raising the rpm rev-limiter will not have any noticible (speed of boat) change in power for the engine. If you are changing the valve train stability and quality of the 496 such as with our new aluminum heads you can safely raise the rev-limit of the engine to about 5400 rpms and gain boat speed with proper propping if your hull will use the increased efficiencies.
    The only things that really raise power in a stock 496 are upgrades to the engine such as our kits or exhaust header or header manifold kits and supercharging which Raylar does not recommend on stock block 496's.

How do we know this, our years of dyno testing and in boat testing prove it over and over. Take my advise and save your hard earned dollars until you can make effective upgrades!

Best Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Raylar View Post
    Contrary to some beliefs, reprogramming a stock 496 other than raising the rpm rev-limiter will not have any noticible (speed of boat) change in power for the engine. If you are changing the valve train stability and quality of the 496 such as with our new aluminum heads you can safely raise the rev-limit of the engine to about 5400 rpms and gain boat speed with proper propping if your hull will use the increased efficiencies.
    The only things that really raise power in a stock 496 are upgrades to the engine such as our kits or exhaust header or header manifold kits and supercharging which Raylar does not recommend on stock block 496's.

How do we know this, our years of dyno testing and in boat testing prove it over and over. Take my advise and save your hard earned dollars until you can make effective upgrades!

Best Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar
    Ive got a gen VI 454 right now in a 25ft sunsation, but lookin to upgrade. 496Ho or 502? Granted Id love an HP500EFi, but finding a used one seems to be a bit of a task.

16. Collapse Details

registered
    502 all the way. It's only 10 horse less in stock trim, but you're getting all forged internals and endless upgrade possibilities. This marks the last year of 496 production/availability, so I wouldn't invest in anything 496-related right now. Next will we will see the return of a new Merc 502 variant so that's where I'd be leaning.

17. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cigdaze View Post
    502 all the way. It's only 10 horse less in stock trim, but you're getting all forged internals and endless upgrade possibilities. This marks the last year of 496 production/availability, so i wouldn't invest in anything 496-related right now. Next will we will see the return of a new merc 502 variant so that's where i'd be leaning.
    +1:usa:

18. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    +1:usa:
    maybe you could call inovation marine the vortek we used in the svl class is a 496 and turned 5600 and had about 550 hp , they maybe could help u or call steve mikaos he did the ecm,s with a man ,, mark stripek from gm ,

19. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    maybe you could call inovation marine the vortek we used in the svl class is a 496 and turned 5600 and had about 550 hp , they maybe could help u or call steve mikaos he did the ecm,s with a man ,, mark stripek from gm ,
    Why quote me ??? I am not in need of either . I have a 509 CI making 800ish.LOL

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Raylar View Post

Best Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar
    Off the subject a bit, but can anything be done to 525's to increase HP with reasonable $'?
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.