1. Collapse Details
    Check your balls
    I get a call yesterday A.M. after loaning my truck to my dad late Monday night. He asks when the last time I looked at my hitch ball was......uhhh bout a month ago when I torqued it onto the insert. He says you need to come take a look at this.

Wierd thing is, Ive been towing the boat on a regular basis for the past few weeks and all has been well, the 100 mile trip up to Erie this past weekend was fine. The return trip home did have a few mysterious pops and jolts in the trailer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails camera dump 037.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Gotta lube the balls up too. Couple squirts of grease helps keep the wear down on the ball and the coupler.

3. Collapse Details

registered
    Yup. Needs grease. The rust creates a lot of friction which does not allow the ball to turn within the receptacle and the nut in turn works its way loose. Lube those balls fellas.

4. Collapse Details

I just weld em on. never come lose again

5. Collapse Details

Never had one back off like that. Yes, lube, lube, lube!

6. Collapse Details

Nothing worse than your balls getting twisted or worn from lack of lube. What really sucks is I always leave my hitch in place in the reciever. Then when i walk past my ball, I tend to always seem to get a nice grease mark on a fresh pair of pants from rubbing it. I need to stick a tennis ball on it or something.....

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    Gotta lube the balls up too. Couple squirts of grease helps keep the wear down on the ball and the coupler.
    a paint brush and a tub of high temperature bearing grease seems to work the best.