1. Collapse Details
    Ohio, smashing it way to the front.... with video.
    Foreclose dis' biotch..

MOSCOW, Ohio --
    Like many people, Terry Hoskins has had troubles with his bank. But his solution to foreclosure might be unique.

Hoskins said he's been in a struggle with RiverHills Bank over his Clermont County home for nearly a decade, a struggle that was coming to an end as the bank began foreclosure proceedings on his $350,000 home.

"When I see I owe $160,000 on a home valued at $350,000, and someone decides they want to take it – no, I wasn't going to stand for that, so I took it down," Hoskins said.

View Slideshow

Hoskins said the Internal Revenue Service placed liens on his carpet store and commercial property on state Route 125 after his brother, a one-time business partner, sued him.
    The bank claimed his home as collateral, Hoskins said, and went after both his residential and commercial properties.

"The average homeowner that can't afford an attorney or can fight as long as we have, they don't stand a chance," he said.

Hoskins said he'd gotten a $170,000 offer from someone to pay off the house, but the bank refused, saying they could get more from selling it in foreclosure.

Hoskins told News 5's Courtis Fuller that he issued the bank an ultimatum.

"I'll tear it down before I let you take it," Hoskins told them.

And that's exactly what Hoskins did.

Man Says Actions Intended To Send Message To Banks

The Moscow man used a bulldozer two weeks ago to level the home he'd built, and the sprawling country home is now rubble, buried under a coating of snow.

"As far as what the bank is going to get, I plan on giving them back what was on this hill exactly (as) it was," Hoskins said. "I brought it out of the ground and I plan on putting it back in the ground."

Hoskins' business in Amelia is scheduled to go up for auction on March 2, and he told Fuller he's considering leveling that building, too.

RiverHills Bank declined to comment on the situation, but Hoskins said his actions were intended to send a message.

"Well, to probably make banks think twice before they try to take someone's home, and if they are going to take it wrongly, the end result will be them tearing their house down like I did mine," Hoskins said.

Man Has No Regrets Over Bulldozing House

Hoskins said he's heard from people all over the country since his story first aired Thursday, and he said most have been supportive.

He said he sought legal counsel before tearing down his home and understands the possible consequences, but he has never doubted his decision once he made it.

"When I knew I was going to lose it, I decided to take it down," Hoskins said.

P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

2. Collapse Details

If the bank refused a payoff offer and refused it on the basis they could make more on it in forclosure, then I would have leveled the ****er too. I'm sure theres more to the story.

3. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Kudos to him. Must have been sad knocking down your own dream home. Maybe Big Bank asssssswholes will learn something, but I doubt it.
    ________

4. Collapse Details

I'm going the other way on this one. I think him, along with any one else that took a loan, should be held accountable for the amount owed.

His $350K home now a $100K pile of dirt and he owed $160K; I say he still owes $60K. If he would have left the home in tact, the bank sold it for say $350K, minus say 10% commissions and fees, minus the $160K he owed, he gets a check for $155K.

I don't understand how he could owe $160K and the bank refuse payment. It doesn't matter what it was worth- they are only owed $160K and if he had that in time, then that is all that is owed along with whatever legal fees they spent going after him.

All of us pay for people that default and I'm sick of people getting a free ride on my dine.

5. Collapse Details

I saw this on CNN.com...... He said even though the house was not in default that it was "cross-collateralized" with some business loans that were in default. Guy had IRS problems/liens as well. I suspect the bank wasn't getting paid on the business loans so they wanted to take the "collateral" in an effort to get paid before the IRS liened the property as well. If this was the case MMark the guy wouldn't have gotten a dime back at the closing/sale.
    He said house was worth 350K, reporter said 250K and it is in OHIO in the winter so a quick sale may not have been feasible.

The guy owned the property.............this is America..........has bulldozer will travel!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    "cross-collateralized" with some business loans that were in default. Guy had IRS problems/liens as well. I suspect the bank wasn't getting paid on the business loans so they wanted to take the "collateral" in an effort to get paid before the IRS liened the property as well. If this was the case MMark the guy wouldn't have gotten a dime back at the closing/sale.

The guy owned the property.............this is America..........has bulldozer will travel!

Very probable.

By the way, per the video it wasnt a bulldozer, it was a crawler loader. In the construction world we get just as anal about equipment terminology as powreboaters do. "big cigar boat"

7. Collapse Details

Registered
    The house was put up as collateral for the business so the bank was fully within its rights to foreclose. They would've taken all his cash from his accounts too if the IRS hadn't already frozen them. If you've borrowed money from the same bank where you keep your checking/savings, check the loan docs: they should have language which says if you don't pay the loan, they clean out your cash accounts.

The dude who flew the plane into the IRS building, this guy bulldozing his own house....phucking dumbazzes if you ask me. You might not like all the taxes, but it's not like they're a big secret. There's about 10 million people who will gladly help you minimize your tax burden...legally, without violence.

8. Collapse Details

When you sign papers putting your house up as collateral then they have the right to take it if you don't pay THAT loan...PERIOD. The guy is a dumbazz whether he knew he signed those papers or not!!!!

More than likely he is so upside down in his business that he's going to end up with nothing regardless.

9. Collapse Details

If he's a dumba** or not is for you guys to dispute, but banks have absolutely no morals what so ever anymore & will do absolutely anything just to make a few $$$$ My father & I have personally had a house we lived in for 20yrs basically ripped Away from us because a bank wanted the assests & property to make money on....

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    If the bank refused a payoff offer and refused it on the basis they could make more on it in forclosure, then I would have leveled the ****er too. I'm sure theres more to the story.
    I thought of you right away.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    The house was put up as collateral for the business so the bank was fully within its rights to foreclose. They would've taken all his cash from his accounts too if the IRS hadn't already frozen them. If you've borrowed money from the same bank where you keep your checking/savings, check the loan docs: they should have language which says if you don't pay the loan, they clean out your cash accounts.

The dude who flew the plane into the IRS building, this guy bulldozing his own house....phucking dumbazzes if you ask me. You might not like all the taxes, but it's not like they're a big secret. There's about 10 million people who will gladly help you minimize your tax burden...legally, without violence.
    It's not about minimizing a tax liability. It's about what happens when people can't stop their life from getting outside of their control. These aren't true acts of violence, which are an expression of anger and rage. They are subconscious attempts to regain control of something. Not that they aren't angry too. I agree that it is unacceptable, and in the case of Stack... murderous.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    The common theme is the IRS...it's always about the taxes. Whether knowingly or not, by not "adhering to the tax code" they've allowed someone else to come in and control things instead of being ahead of the game and engaging someone to help keep affairs under their own control. What's a true act of violence? Injury to another human being? Does it include injury to animals? It's violence if you hurt someone but if you drive a tank over 20 cars and a highway median...you're not "violent?" Bah humbug...using a crawler loader to tear down your house to spite your bad financial decisions is....wait for it.....violent. The underlying motivation is to prevent someone else from controlling them....but the manifestation of that subconscious turns out to be violence.

None of these people take responsibility for their roles in their problems. It's always someone else's fault. Then they end up hurting themselves and others. Did this guy in OH have a family that lived in that house? I'm sure they're jumping for joy that dad demolished their home in a fit of rage...nice lesson for the kids.

13. Collapse Details

The common theme is the IRS...it's always about the taxes. Whether knowingly or not, by not "adhering to the tax code" they've allowed someone else to come in and control things instead of being ahead of the game and engaging someone to help keep affairs under their own control. What's a true act of violence? Injury to another human being? Does it include injury to animals? It's violence if you hurt someone but if you drive a tank over 20 cars and a highway median...you're not "violent?" Bah humbug...using a crawler loader to tear down your house to spite your bad financial decisions is....wait for it.....violent. The underlying motivation is to prevent someone else from controlling them....but the manifestation of that subconscious turns out to be violence.

None of these people take responsibility for their roles in their problems. It's always someone else's fault. Then they end up hurting themselves and others. Did this guy in OH have a family that lived in that house? I'm sure they're jumping for joy that dad demolished their home in a fit of rage...nice lesson for the kids.
    With a sharp enough blade, we can split half hairs. I shouldn't have used the word "true."
    My point is that the genesis of the violence is the subconcious looking for control that was lost, as opposed to the genesis for violence being regular old psycopathy, past abuse, witness to a violent event, or crimes of passion. It's all violence. And all wrong.
    Nice use of "crawler loader," btw.

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Nice use of "crawler loader," btw.
    Seeing as how Tony made it clear there's a difference, the last thing I want is to offend him by continuing to use the wrong term.

Loss of control sucks, violence rarely gives back control.

15. Collapse Details

:d

16. Collapse Details

Hey this is America........land of the free and the whackos that proclaim it as they do something stupid. Homewrecker was "slanting" the story for his benefit in the interview. Knowing the end result I would have stopped paying the first mortgage (the one he was current on) about a year before so he could at least live there for "free" and let the banks fight over who gets what.......then knock it down so they can fight over the rock/wood pile that is left.

Joe Stack was probably just a guy wound up real tight and got caught up in the "I have the right to not pay taxes" routine. The smart guys are the ones that pay something and pocket the rest. Joe Stack decided to be outspoken and couldn't handle the wrath of the IRS. They are just normal people and probably wanted to make an example out of him.......In my opinion they LOST this one. Joe ain't paying taxes and they now have a BBQ'd office! It also gives ideas to other people that are on the edge of being Joe Stack!

17. Collapse Details

I don't know his total circumstances or IRS problems, but every business loan I have, I had to personally guaranty. That means all my personal assets up to the value of the loan. So, to say he didn't read or understand what he was signing is a little naive. If you want/need money for your business you must sign personally,unless your Warren Buffet.
    I have my personal assets in my wives name just for this reason.

18. Collapse Details

Man, I didn't know you were from Long Beach.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

19. Collapse Details

I have no issues as long as it is still worth what he owes, if it's not- bill him for it and I'd make it where going to foreclosure wouldn't erase the debt.