Considering these two boats.

Cafe
    Solid ride
    Predictable deep vee
    Full Cabin

Playboy
    Better top end for the same power
    Updated styling

These are my assumptions. What are the real positives / negatives comparing these two types?

2. Collapse Details

You pretty much sum'd it up right there. I"ve spent lots of time on both boats and loved them both.

Only other thing I can say is the Cafe feels like a bigger boat, possibly because it has more free board and is heavier. There's some great deals on Cafe's. Only a handful of playboys (35 T/S's) built.
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

3. Collapse Details

The price can be double between a Playboy and a Cafe due to age differences.......

4. Collapse Details

I love both boats, but I think it comes down to money. The Playboy will cost more but will have better resale and the Cafe comes in at a great value. My advice if you buy the Cafe find one that has already been gone through and spent all the money already then you can get a smoking deal. But then again the playboy's are already 80 mph+ boats.

5. Collapse Details

Not alot of people cross-shopping a Cafe and a Playboy because of $$$ in my opinion.

Determine what is important to you for YOUR boating experience. Is the full cabin with enclosed head important enough that you would sacrifice top speed and hull efficiency? Are you comfortable with having a stepped bottom boat (ie is this your first HIPO boat?).

I know when I was shopping the cover-girl cabins didn't work for what my wife and I were going to be using the boat for so we ended up in the cafe, but I would certainly love an extra 10++ MPH I'd get in the stepped hull....

6. Collapse Details

My current boat is an 80 mph boat, but I have to pick the days to be comfortable. Besides, 60 mph is a nice cruising speed for me. An extra 3 feet and 2000 pounds would make a difference.

I'm comparing the cafe to the playboy based on length only. 35' is about as long as I want to go. I've given up hauling 14 people with me wherever I go, so my interest has turned to ride comfort with classic styling. I want to like the cafe because of the practical cabin and standard vee I am familiar with. I'm not sure if a cafe with 525's will be a bravo eater though.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
    I want to like the cafe because of the practical cabin and standard vee I am familiar with. I'm not sure if a cafe with 525's will be a bravo eater though.
    The cabin layout on the Cafe (and the gun) is one of the best I've ever seen, layout wise. I love ours in our Gun.

A Cafe with 525EFI's and Bravos will run 75 or so. Not a bravo eater that I've seen, if you know how to run it (i.e. easy on plane, get off the throttles when aired out). A buddy had this combo on his Cafe for many years and blew maybe one or two drives in that time. The bravo is definatley a week link, but I think you'll be fine if you dont beat on it.
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

8. Collapse Details

Both are really nice boats. IMHO, you can't beat the layout of the 31-foot Bullet. Because of its weight and deep V, it rides like a much bigger boat.

Good luck!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

9. Collapse Details

Clay,

I had considered a Bullet as well, but thinking the Cafe will give me a noticeably better rough water ride and a little more room in the cockpit and cabin.

10. Collapse Details

The number of Bravo's you will break will be DIRECTLY correlated to your right hand...

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    Both are really nice boats. IMHO, you can't beat the layout of the 31-foot Bullet. Because of its weight and deep V, it rides like a much bigger boat.

Good luck!

How would you ever know how it rides? I am convinced you idle to the mooring position and just make use of the special seat all weekend!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    How would you ever know how it rides? I am convinced you idle to the mooring position and just make use of the special seat all weekend!
    Exactly..... What he meant to say is "You can't beat MY layout."

13. Collapse Details

Speaking of Cafe Racers....anyone know this boat? I really wish my boat would sell right now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/35-CI...3A1%7C72%3A317

14. Collapse Details

Well it looks like I'm leaning toward a Cafe. The Mrs. likes the idea of a/c in the cabin. I've checked the more popular sites for ones that are for sale. Should I be afraid of Hawk 525SC's? About 200 hours on rebuild.

Maybe its time to start a "looking for a cafe racer" thread.

15. Collapse Details

I'd go for the Playboy...T/S; fewer built; better resale; faster.

16. Collapse Details

But does the Playboy offer the same ride quality at the same speed as the Cafe when the water gets rough on a holiday weekend at LOTO?

17. Collapse Details

Well it looks like I'm leaning toward a Cafe. The Mrs. likes the idea of a/c in the cabin. I've checked the more popular sites for ones that are for sale. Should I be afraid of Hawk 525SC's? About 200 hours on rebuild.

Maybe its time to start a "looking for a cafe racer" thread.
    i have the hawk 525sc in my cafe & havent had any major issues. this winter i am hoping to crack them open & check the top end out.

18. Collapse Details

But does the Playboy offer the same ride quality at the same speed as the Cafe when the water gets rough on a holiday weekend at LOTO?
    I can't speak specifically to the Playboy since I haven't had the pleasure of riding in one but I can say that my T/S doesn't have any problems at all...but then again how can the Cafe possibly offer the same ride at the same speed as the Playboy when it isn't as fast?
    Last edited by Tommy Gun; 07-08-2009 at 02:47 PM.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    I can't speak specifically to the Playboy since I haven't had the pleasure of riding in one but I can say that my T/S doesn't have any problems at all...but then again how can the Cafe possibly offer the same ride at the same speed as the Playboy when it isn't as fast?
    i thought he meant like at some sort of cruising speed (40-55) instead of top speed.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BDiggity View Post
    i thought he meant like at some sort of cruising speed (40-55) instead of top speed.
    I know what he meant...but for me to run at 40 I have to have the drives all the way in and the the tabs all the way down. So what is the point...do you want a smooth ride at 40-55 or a smooth ride at 70-75?