Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Old Farts Forever
    Old Farts Forever (OFF) – Once an Old Fart, Forever an Old Fart!
    Jim Hauser has selected the acronym “OFF” for the October 23-24, 2009 gathering in Abacoa/Jupiter, Florida. This event will run simultaneously with the Offshore Super Series (OSS) race at the same location. The OSS race is aptly named “Tropic Thunder”. Thus, Old Farts Forever fits neatly into the scheme of things. Yes…there is a subtle joke there. The “OFF” gathering is beginning to pick up steam with the end of the major boat show season. The concept is very simple. Jim will be making arrangements for a gathering of boat racers and their associates from “Back In The Day” to gather under very casual conditions to shoot the breeze, talk about their experiences, and tell a few lies. This gathering is open to all types of boat racers as well as those who just want to meet and greet some of the legends of boat racing. I have it on good authority that many legends, past and present, will likely be in attendance. Jim is currently in contact with several significant organizations and names in the boat racing community that have promised to cooperate in helping to make this a memorable event. Those organizations and names will be made known in the near future. Suffice it to say that you will recognize them. Jim is searching for a location that allows for 100-500 folks to gather in a separate room with “pay as you go” bar and food. He has tasked me with two things.
    First is to publicize the gathering on this and other internet forums. Since we do not have, and do not intend to have, a budget, we will count on forums and word of mouth from you to non-interneters, to spread the word.
    Secondly, I have been tasked to put together a simple program for the events. I am soliciting information from you for that program. I am also soliciting the same information on those legends that have left this life. I would like to salute them with a silent toast. They are a huge part of our history. Your inputs will allow me to put together a Powerpoint presentation that will run continuously at the events. I will make an attempt to recognize everyone that attends, but that requires your input. Finally I would like to thank those that put together last year’s event in Sunny Isles Beach. That event is what inspired Jim Hauser to create the upcoming “OFF” gathering.
    Sooooo…..here is what I need from YOU! Please provide the following:
    Your name.
    (Optional) User name on forums.
    Very short biography.
    “Back in the Day” and present digital (.jpg or .bmp) photos of yourself and your boat(s). PLEASE submit photos as ATTACHMENTS.
    Any of the same data on those who have left this life.
    Submit information to this e-mail address. off2009@comcast.net
    Thank You – Steve Sirois (seeroy)

2. Collapse Details

Things are moving at just about the right pace for 6 month in advance of "Old Farts Forever" gathering. Jim Hauser has arranged for Friday (10/23/09) evening event at JJ Muggs in Abacoa/Jupiter. OSS will also be having a boat parade through the streets that evening. Saturday OFF event location TBD soon. I am very slowly beginning to work on program and continue to solicit your input. The following is one very rough draft of possible format for Powerpoint presentation. There are 7 pictures, so I will have to put them on a couple of consecutive posts. Remember, this gathering is open to all types of boat racers. Hope to see you there and Best Regards - Steve Sirois
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r78ytd.jpg   255ufmb.jpg   30mr7gk.jpg  

3. Collapse Details
    Off
    3 more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14aztat.jpg   f57hhz.jpg   2h6h69y.jpg  

4. Collapse Details
    Off
    And the last one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2csjgvc.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

registered
    Fantastic. That sounds like it will be a great, don't-miss event.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    Old Farts Forever (OFF) – Once an Old Fart, Forever an Old Fart!
    Jim Hauser has selected the acronym “OFF” for the October 23-24, 2009 gathering in Abacoa/Jupiter, Florida. This event will run simultaneously with the Offshore Super Series (OSS) race at the same location. The OSS race is aptly named “Tropic Thunder”. Thus, Old Farts Forever fits neatly into the scheme of things. Yes…there is a subtle joke there. The “OFF” gathering is beginning to pick up steam with the end of the major boat show season. The concept is very simple. Jim will be making arrangements for a gathering of boat racers and their associates from “Back In The Day” to gather under very casual conditions to shoot the breeze, talk about their experiences, and tell a few lies. This gathering is open to all types of boat racers as well as those who just want to meet and greet some of the legends of boat racing. I have it on good authority that many legends, past and present, will likely be in attendance. Jim is currently in contact with several significant organizations and names in the boat racing community that have promised to cooperate in helping to make this a memorable event. Those organizations and names will be made known in the near future. Suffice it to say that you will recognize them. Jim is searching for a location that allows for 100-500 folks to gather in a separate room with “pay as you go” bar and food. He has tasked me with two things.
    First is to publicize the gathering on this and other internet forums. Since we do not have, and do not intend to have, a budget, we will count on forums and word of mouth from you to non-interneters, to spread the word.
    Secondly, I have been tasked to put together a simple program for the events. I am soliciting information from you for that program. I am also soliciting the same information on those legends that have left this life. I would like to salute them with a silent toast. They are a huge part of our history. Your inputs will allow me to put together a Powerpoint presentation that will run continuously at the events. I will make an attempt to recognize everyone that attends, but that requires your input. Finally I would like to thank those that put together last year’s event in Sunny Isles Beach. That event is what inspired Jim Hauser to create the upcoming “OFF” gathering.
    Sooooo…..here is what I need from YOU! Please provide the following:
    Your name.
    (Optional) User name on forums.
    Very short biography.
    “Back in the Day” and present digital (.jpg or .bmp) photos of yourself and your boat(s). PLEASE submit photos as ATTACHMENTS.
    Any of the same data on those who have left this life.
    Submit information to this e-mail address. off2009@comcast.net
    Thank You – Steve Sirois (seeroy)
    I know that I will be considered too sensitive in this quote, but here goes. It has been bothering me about the OLD FART nomenclature you have come up with. I am sure it is meant to be comedic and funny, however I find it offensive. Many of the men and women who were the hero`s and legends of the sport of Offshore, living and past, I am sure would not appreciate being considered FARTS, much less OLD FARTS. There is nothing comedic about Offshore racing and the lives that were lost or destroyed as a result of it. The people that are still living, and legends, are very proud of what they accomplished and should not be considered OLD FARTS, but proud survivors of Offshore wars who have much history and many stories to tell the current Offshore enthusiasts. Why would you want to disgrace them by calling them OLD FARTS. By any other name I think you could have a nice event and I applaud you for your efforts to recognize and honor those living and past legends of Offshore.

7. Collapse Details

I don't know about you, but I'm an old fart, and proud of it!

8. Collapse Details
    Older fart
    Sponsor / Charter Member
    I'm old also(71) and I consider the old fart title to be a badge of honor

9. Collapse Details

I am with you Richie !- Senior Offshore is more like it - a little respect for sure - Can you imagine reserving a restaurant - and posting a notice for OFF - or you know what - I wonder what the women would say - Senior Offshore Citizens - or something like that - but Not OFF -

Guess I just took myself off the list - be that as it may - !

How about Offshore Medicare - (card holders only) - saves making ID's

Offshore Giants ? Offshore Heros ?

the only problem with having a Medicare card to prove you belong, is that T2x cant get in - too young - but for Sure Sean Stinson can ! dont get mad Sean - get even !

Phil

oh - me too - am too young for this - haha !

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NNRT View Post
    I am with you Richie !- Senior Offshore is more like it - a little respect for sure - Can you imagine reserving a restaurant - and posting a notice for OFF - or you know what - I wonder what the women would say - Senior Offshore Citizens - or something like that - but Not OFF -

Guess I just took myself off the list - be that as it may - !

How about Offshore Medicare - (card holders only) - saves making ID's

Offshore Giants ? Offshore Heros ?

the only problem with having a Medicare card to prove you belong, is that T2x cant get in - too young - but for Sure Sean Stinson can ! dont get mad Sean - get even !

Phil

oh - me too - am too young for this - haha !
    I can show a AARP card and the senior living card that I got from you Phil!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    I will say this.....

As a group we will argue about anything....... even the name of the group.

You can't make this stuff up

P.S. Is Phil Lewis bringing the Depends?

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

12. Collapse Details

Before you were so rudely interrupted I think he was making a stop for some Geritol!!!!

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    By the way guys.....You might want to check again.

OFF is not an exclusively Offshore organization. It is a general Powerboat racing group, including all different types of veteran racers. Other expected attendees include Ken Kitson and a number of circle and marathon racers. I think even Steve David is allowed to attend.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

14. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Last year we used the term Offshore Legends...Reunion for the get together that Brownie put on.

As Rich pointed out OFF is for ALL the old racers, that did everything from OPC to Unlimiteds.....it isn't really our call on this one.....maybe just join the fun and enjoy it.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

15. Collapse Details

Sean - the AARP card can be had at 50 something ! Richie - I got your TUMS !

16. Collapse Details

Does this mean we have people talking????????? When we thought to do this stuff,,,,, We only wanted to have as much fun as Brownies get to-gether was,, While talking to Brownie & Horba,,,,,,,,,and receiving their support,,,,,as Jackie W. has said if you ever raced a boat, lets get their,,,,,,,, It happens to tie into the OSS Worlds being held in Jupiter Fl....... Really didn't spend a lot of time thinking of a name,,,,,Hope no one is offended,,,,, Personally I think it ties in very well with the Tropic Thunder name that OSS has designated for this race,,,,, and after many discussions with them,,,,,, they think its good,,,,,,, Have been selling sponsorships for this event, and quite frankly everyone has been most reseptive,,,,,,,,,
    Oh well like Rich says,,,,,,,,, We can argue about anything,,,,,,,,,

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NNRT View Post
    Sean - the AARP card can be had at 50 something ! Richie - I got your TUMS !
    I am there...ALMOST!!! I still think you should tell the helicopter story from lunch the other day!!!!!

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    I am there...ALMOST!!! I still think you should tell the helicopter story from lunch the other day!!!!!
    Richie has a way with words- he can tell it !

Just thought that if this Org. gets going and is successfull, then why get stuck with a stupid name - its a great idea having this org. - but could they not be a little more classy ?

19. Collapse Details

OKAY. I guess it's time for me to throw my two cents worth in here. There is not, and never has been, any intent by Jim Hauser or myself to offend anybody in this effort. To “honor the proud survivors of Offshore wars” is not the primary intent of this gathering . The primary and simple intent is to get a bunch of old boat racers of all types together to reminisce and have a little fun. Most boat racers tend to have a pretty good time at a party. If you read my early posts in S&F, you will realize that I am a great fan of self-deprecating humor. I have always said that if a man cannot laugh at himself, his underwear is probably too tight. While some may provide me with their own humorous input for the program, others may be more serious. I will present only what I am provided. A secondary intent of the gathering is to offer a toast to all of those that are no longer with us. That includes boat racers of all types and regardless of perceptions of "hero or legend" status. You may be assured that such toast and/or presentation will be done with a great degree of dignity and respect. I may approach life from a bit different and less serious perspective than some. That's just who I am. Despite some differing opinions on the title of the event, it is what it is, and all old boat racers are invited to attend. If one chooses to not attend because of the title, they will miss a good time. Jim has arranged for a great time at JJ Muggs on Friday evening followed by a huge street party in Abacoa/Jupiter. The owner of JJ Muggs is very enthused and has already identified spots in his parking lot for a few old boats on static display. We would love to see a few old classics from different classes (tunnel, wing, cat, hydro, drag, OPC, Alky kneeldown, SK, Offshore, etc. Sorry if I left something out). The OSS and Geico Racing has very graciously invited us to be part of their Saturday night party. That is still in the formative stages. This a great opportunity for all types of old boat racers to get to know and appreciate what the other go-fast types experience. I don't know about others, but I intend to relax and have a little fun that weekend. Unfortunately, I am not a golfer. I guess Jackie Wilson will lead the charge to the links. No doubt others will follow. What the heck...I may go along just to watch the fun. Oh, by the way, like Brownie I too am an Old Fart and proud of it. I am also proud to sign my name - Steve Sirois

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member Edward R. Cozzi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Me too!
    Athiests better pray they're right.