Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    From reading the class rules, the boats would fall into different classes. There are seperate classes for stock engines vs modified engines the way I read the rules.

Maybe I can get Catwoman to figure this one out for us.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    From reading the class rules, the boats would fall into different classes. There are seperate classes for stock engines vs modified engines the way I read the rules.

Maybe I can get Catwoman to figure this one out for us.
    The way I read it. Stock engines are to be under 500 hp.
    Steve

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL Magnet View Post
    Not sure if they had mechanical issue or if they donated some alcohol to Dave Scott for his motors, but they did not register for event

It was great to see the Time Bandit display, and Travis.
    The Pirate Boat and Watch Your Back were in the Street party parade

The Fountain SVL was consistent with speeds and won, (I heard they may have sold it to someone at the shootout).

Wonderful event, worth the drive,,,,,,a must see for 2011
    How does one tech an SVL without a crane and a scale?
    Steve

4. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    can you imagine,,the svl class at a race ,,and a PONTOON GO,s BY,,,, I love it ,,,
    Interesting, is that most of those PONTOON boats look nicer, and more advanced than most of your vintage race boats.
    They are very nice and fast

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Out of the 60 classes listed can someone show me the 525 SVL class.

Didn't it read single engine canopy? I guess 60 classes wasn't enough.
    Clearly you have no past personal experience with the LOTO Shootout ( This was the 22nd year). The multiple classes ( up to "60") are designed to be inclusive of PWC, Poontoon, Center Console, Crusiers, Pleasure Boats and Race Boats. The boats that are not safe for the configurations (skill or power) are not to be allowed to compete. There has not been a serious crash, for many years.

The LOTO Shootout inspectors designed a special class for SVL boats, ( 30 ft, 525hp , Single Engine, "professional" drivers).
    Last edited by saratoga stampede; 08-31-2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: grammer

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by moorehead boater View Post
    Interesting, is that most of those PONTOON boats look nicer, and more advanced than most of your vintage race boats.
    They are very nice and fast
    And you could give me THE nicest, fastest one and it would be resting on the bottom of that lake if me (or anyone else) tried to drive it down the main channel on a weekend. I'll take the "vintage race boat," thanks.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    How does one tech an SVL without a crane and a scale?
    Steve
    Steve,
    For 22 years, the LOTO shootout has attracted many boaters from around the globe. This includes professional classes of SCL, SVL, Hydroplanes and ect. All specs of safety and performance are evaluated except a mass ( no funds spent on a scale). In this case, lighter boats should have an advantage.

We have historically seen drivers of pleasure boats, remove all there extra interior to drop weight, for the single one mile run. It is typically generates between $50,000 to $100,000 for a designated cause ( Fire Department, Habitat for Humanity and ect). The 2010 details are still pending

All boats were to have a tech inspection the day of the event( power package, safety and hull). The Inspectors at LOTO Shootout were blindsided, when an entire SVL motor package was changed after it had been inspected.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by saratoga stampede View Post
    Steve,
    For 22 years, the LOTO shootout has attracted many boaters from around the globe. This includes professional classes of SCL, SVL, Hydroplanes and ect. All specs of safety and performance are evaluated except a mass ( no funds spent on a scale). In this case, lighter boats should have an advantage.

We have historically seen drivers of pleasure boats, remove all there extra interior to drop weight, for the single one mile run. It is typically generates between $50,000 to $100,000 for a designated cause ( Fire Department, Habitat for Humanity and ect). The 2010 details are still pending

All boats were to have a tech inspection the day of the event( power package, safety and hull). The Inspectors at LOTO Shootout were blindsided, when an entire SVL motor package was changed after it had been inspected.
    Oh I see? So they measured prop thickness and checked the skeg profile outdrive gear ratio etc?
    Steve

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Clearly you have no past personal experience with the LOTO Shootout ( This was the 22nd year). The multiple classes ( up to "60") are designed to be inclusive of PWC, Poontoon, Center Console, Crusiers, Pleasure Boats and Race Boats. The boats that are not safe for the configurations (skill or power) are not to be allowed to compete. There has not been a serious crash, for many years.

The LOTO Shootout inspectors designed a special class for SVL boats, ( 30 ft, 525hp , Single Engine, "professional" drivers).
    I did look through the real nice program . Why wasn't this class in the program?

Pretty cool they made a class just for you.

10. Collapse Details

LOTO's run by S.B.I. now?

11. Collapse Details

I did look through the real nice program . Why wasn't this class in the program?

The class was not for 'one person'.
    Out boat was the second boat to register for this class, and then Sunday the 3rd registration came from Octane.
    If you ever decide to purchase your own race boat, we can spend the time to help you understand, the process.
    Hope you enjoyed the activities of LOTO

12. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    drama drama drama...... I love the interweb
    Boat-less...

13. Collapse Details

Registered
    The class was not for 'one person'.
    Out boat was the second boat to register for this class, and then Sunday the 3rd registration came from Octane.
    If you ever decide to purchase your own race boat, we can spend the time to help you understand, the process.
    Hope you enjoyed the activities of LOTO
    The majority of proffesional drivers in any motorsport do not own their equipment .So how will owning the boat help him to understand ?Three years when you leave ,a new you will pop up and then this will start up again .

I hope the SVL class survives this ,this time .

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    The way I read it. Stock engines are to be under 500 hp.
    Steve
    That is one area I'm not sure of. I'm waiting to talk with those who do. But yes, that's the way I read it.

15. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    That is one area I'm not sure of. I'm waiting to talk with those who do. But yes, that's the way I read it.
    Then a 525 doesn't meet the rules.
    Boat-less...

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by mdkeywest View Post
    The majority of proffesional drivers in any motorsport do not own their equipment .......I hope the SVL class survives this ,this time .

Professional driver?
    This is a hobby for the mechanic, that likes to drive other people's boat.

Hope the class survives, but those that are not able to meet the qualifications will be forced to run in a speed spec class instead.

I heard the Fountain SVL was recently sold, and they have already started construction on a new one that will be ready in October?

17. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver & Driver View Post

Professional driver?
    This is a hobby for the mechanic, that likes to drive other people's boat.

Hope the class survives, but those that are not able to meet the qualifications will be forced to run in a speed spec class instead.

I heard the Fountain SVL was recently sold, and they have already started construction on a new one that will be ready in October?
    Several well known ,much sought after throttleman dont own the boats they race ,where do they fit in your'e scenario ?

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mdkeywest View Post
    The majority of proffesional drivers in any motorsport do not own their equipment .So how will owning the boat help him to understand ?Three years when you leave ,a new you will pop up and then this will start up again .

I hope the SVL class survives this ,this time .
    pro·fes·sion·al [ prō féshən'l, prō féshnəl, prə féshən'l ]

adjective

Definition:

1. of profession: relating to or belonging to a profession
    professional people

2. following occupation as paid job: engaged in an occupation as a paid job rather than as a hobby
    professional tennis player

3. businesslike: conforming to the standards of skill, competence, or character normally expected of a properly qualified and experienced person in a work environment
    professional attitude

4. very competent: showing a high degree of skill or competence
    did a very professional job

5. doing something habitually: habitually, and usually annoyingly, indulging in a particular activity
    a professional complainer

I think the last is the best description. there's all of about 3 "truely professionals" paid throttlemen. the rest are no different than my buddy's kids that race go-carts, except they actually race. their in a defined class, usaully of atleast 20 carts, have rigid and consistant tech inspection. to put other forms of racing into perspective, theres over 400 people racing gocarts about 2x a month in florida.

then you got offshore. just put a smiley face on it and everything will be okay.

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post
    then you got offshore. just put a smiley face on it and everything will be okay.
    Should be your sig line Dave.....

20. Collapse Details

Unfortunately on July 31st, a gentleman filled up his 38 ft Baja @ LOTO ( Camden on the Lake , aka Horney Toad) gas dock, and had a fire in the boat from a gas leak into the bilge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhTLdyXuvL0

For the last 4 weeks trying to overcome the effects of a 40% burns, at a regional University Hospital
    Keep Don in your thoughts...