Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dollabill View Post

I almost did a 42 PR in a Scarface theme a couple years ago. I'm glad I didnt. I thought it would def be a novelty, but it would've gotten old quickly
    42PR "Bootlegger" is still badazz!

2. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    yes it is. There are lots of cool ideas. Bootlegger, to me, would be the least trendy of the theme boats. And it's such a nautical design that it's hard for that to get old too quickly.

3. Collapse Details

I wouldnt Matt. I just don't "get" the theme boats. There have been a couple good threads about the subject both here and "there".

I almost did a 42 PR in a Scarface theme a couple years ago. I'm glad I didnt. I thought it would def be a novelty, but it would've gotten old quickly
    Well, my personal tastes lean toward more understated colors and low-key graphics. My point was that I'd "take" (meaning someone would have to give it—should have been clearer) a 42 Cigarette or 44 MTI in any color or graphic package.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Salesmanship View Post
    I seem to remember an AMG Scarab at the Miami show back in the mid 90's. Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by ericc View Post
    Are you sure you're not referring to the Fittipaldi Scarab that Emerson worked on with Scarab when he was driving Mercedes powered cars for Penske? It was black with red stripes, but only a theme boat.
    Emerson had 3 boats that I know of in conjunction with various manufacturers.

Before he joined us (Penske), he had a red 33' Chris-Craft Stinger. I don't know much about this boat, other than it showed up in the pits at the Miami CART race in the late 80's when we ran over by the University. Apparently, only six were made.

In 1993 <correction - 1990>, Gus Anastasi rigged a pair of (6 litre?) AMG engines into a 31'
    Scarab. Emmo's son did the graphics in a very stylish silver and charcoal, with bright orange trim and the Mercedes star prominently displayed on the deck. It was introduced at the Miami boat show with great fanfare by Irwin Jacobs, Hulk Hogan and Emmo. There was one boat in the water with conventional power, and Emmo's personal boat with the M-B engines was in the convention center. I remember it being one of the cleanest rigging jobs that I had ever seen. I drove the boat in late 1993 and seem to remember it running in the low 70's. It was the first time that I had driven a twin-engine boat, and I promptly bumped it into the dock behind Emmo's house on Key Biscayne...

I have some pictures of this boat from that day, and will post them tonight. If I recall, they built half a dozen or so boats in this paint scheme ("Fittipaldi Scarabs") with Mercury power. The M-B engines in Emmo's boat had some corrosion issues and were eventually replaced by big blocks. Some of these boats are still around.

Later (1995?) Emmo was involved in a Mares cat project with Volvo diesels and DPX drives. It was underpowered and a bit crude, but delivered great mileage....

My post from "the other site" on 3/18/2001: "I drove that boat with Emmo in late 1993. It was a 31. It had 5 liter Mercedes engines punched out to 6 liters and warmed over by AMG. The rigging and installation was immaculate - done by Gus Anastasi himself. On the hot day we went out, it ran an honest 72 on glass-smooth water. That was my first time behind the wheel of a fast boat. The problem was that those were aluminum engines and they did not use closed cooling in the salt water, so the party didn't last too long. The boat was refitted with small blocks, and then I lost track of it. It was really pretty - silver, charcoal and orange accents on a white hull with carbon fiber dash trim. (I'd love to know where it is now.) Before that, Emmo had a deal with Chris Craft. They made white or red Fittipaldi Edition Stingers. Michael Andretti did have a short deal with Celebrity, but got out because he didn't like the product..."
    Last edited by C_Spray; 12-23-2009 at 02:41 PM.

5. Collapse Details

C Spray,
    That's exactly the boat I remember seeing.
    I knew somebody would come through with the story.
    Thanks.

6. Collapse Details

There was even an Andretti Celebrity. Not that it was a theme boat or for that matter, a true performance boat.

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nortech4play View Post
    Yes but did you know it had "Recovery" painted (as were a number few of his boats) on it first before Stu had it re-done with "Mercedes of Massapequa"? It is still my favorite "theme boat"...
    Doreen and I were riding in it after it was first delivered and part of the original Mercedes interior and dash board.....fell out...(it was later completely redone along with the name).

Stu is a funny guy in that as soon as he receives a boat, he wants another. He is all about details and being unique. His racing was a tribute to that and the wisdom to choose Joey Imprescia as his throttleman/crew chief. They took on the best (Alcone/ Gilbreath, Barber/Tomlinson, etc, etc)...and easily gave as good as they got.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    There was even an Andretti Celebrity. Not that it was a theme boat or for that matter, a true performance boat.
    For a short time in the mid eighties Chris Craft produced a line of Emerson Fittapaldi endorsed hulls as well.

Also Renato Molinari ran in offshore with some Ferrari motors in a big cat.

There is rarely something new and unique in this business.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    For a short time in the mid eighties Chris Craft produced a line of Emerson Fittapaldi endorsed hulls as well.

Also Renato Molinari ran in offshore with some Ferrari motors in a big cat.

There is rarely something new and unique in this business.

T2x
    Originally Posted by ericc
    Are you sure you're not referring to the Fittipaldi Scarab that Emerson worked on with Scarab when he was driving Mercedes powered cars for Penske? It was black with red stripes, but only a theme boat.

My reply.
    I think that was a Chris Craft wasn't it? Solid red right?

Proven correct twice in the same day!
    Thank you!

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Salesmanship View Post
    Proven correct twice in the same day!
    Maybe the end of the world is closer than 2012......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    He is all about details and being unique. His racing was a tribute to that and the wisdom to choose Joey Imprescia as his throttleman/crew chief. They took on the best (Alcone/ Gilbreath, Barber/Tomlinson, etc, etc)...and easily gave as good as they got.

T2x
    One of my looooong time best friends, bought Stuarts 42 last Summer. Very nice machine, as Stuarts always are. 1200 mercs, crash boxes, & 6's. She runs well. If only Randy Hartman had ANY room to move on a nice 40ss he had listed, he'd be running a Douglas Marine production!

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    I wouldnt Matt. I just don't "get" the theme boats.

In a lot of cases, it's not even the fact the actual design is ugly...... It's the automatic position the owner has put themselves in, which is the wrong side of the 8 ball when it's time to upgrade.....

Sure, there are plenty of people that could care less about the impending hit they'll take by painting their boat like Scooby Doo's Mystery Machine. I really thing it's great, because it's the MOST obvious indication that those people are DOWN with boating.

There IS the occasional theme boat, that makes me get a little weak knee'd, and the last one that did that, is this beauty......

13. Collapse Details

I have logged some time in this particular theme boat, and I can tell you it is a huge hit at the docks at every event. Spectators love it. They just do.

And its owner is a pretty decent guy. One of the best.

14. Collapse Details

Working for Mercedes I think it would be cool as hell to have them rig one with trip Bi-Turbo V12's - or the SLR V8 wouldn't be bad either....

15. Collapse Details

Here are the photos of Emerson's personal Scarab. I does appear that the engines were close-cooled, so I'm not sure what the troubles were that eventually forced their removal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fittipaldi Scarab Front.jpg   Fittipaldi Scarab Deck.jpg   Fitti Scarab Mercedes.jpg  

16. Collapse Details

5 minutes!!!

17. Collapse Details

1350's and est 130MPH+ top end.

I'm tired of super flashy overwhelming paint but not sure this hits the mark either. Kind of growing on me already but still not sure.

18. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    1350's and est 130MPH+ top end.

I'm tired of super flashy overwhelming paint but not sure this hits the mark either. Kind of growing on me already but still not sure.
    agree

19. Collapse Details

Do they plan to run the boat in the poker run after the show?

20. Collapse Details

Where's the pics?