Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pro1 View Post
    S Glass is substantially cheaper then Carbon Fibre. Carbon Fibre is substantially stronger then glass. The new Gulfstream jet and the new Boeing 787 are 100% Carbon. Read numerous articles, technological developments and so forth. At 170,000psi of tensile strength nothing comes close in size or weight.

If carbon fiber is outside your budget, consider using S-2 glass. S-2 glass is a high performance fabric that was developed originally for military applications. It is 30% stronger and 15% stiffer than E-glass. It comes 30” wide in two weights: 3.7 oz. and 5.6oz. One of the big advantages of S-2 glass is that it is compatible with both polyester and epoxy resins, unlike carbon. At a fraction of the cost of carbon, this might be the solution you are looking for! Give it a try.
    have you ever bought S-glass? and if so where? you seem to be repeating something you read that pertains to aircraft and military uses with NO comparisons to real life boat structures.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post
    have you ever bought S-glass? and if so where? you seem to be repeating something you read that pertains to aircraft and military uses with NO comparisons to real life boat structures.
    It can be purchased thru Composites One www.compositesone.com , who does a lot of business with Douglas Marine / Skater and there sales rep is Ted Rogers and yes S-glass is being made by a host of companies like Owen's Corning and Vector Ply to name a few and for everybody who would like to know S-glass is the same as E-glass but has a much greater tensil strength,flexural strength and all around toughness . S-glass is also more expensive then E-glass like skaterdave stated and E-glass is more widely used in the industry because it is a very economical renforcement.

3. Collapse Details

:

The Skaters and the Mystic all seem to be all Carbon Fibre.

http://www.turbinemarine.com/project_50_mystic.html
    Kenny, that has nothing to do with why I put a "Z" in my post....

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    I know exactly why you posted a Z.

I have been posting on here as I wait for responses as I pass papers back and forth.

Where are all the Miami pics?

5. Collapse Details

Frank , damitt whats the big secret and give it up .

6. Collapse Details

Where are all the Miami pics?
    I dunno, I'm stuck working....

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Frank , damitt whats the big secretand give it up .
    You can spill the beans on that one dude! Not my place.

7. Collapse Details

I dunno, I'm stuck working....

You can spill the beans on that one dude! Not my place.
    Frank do you relize just how much $hit that will stir up ? Dam , i would be hung out to dry and besides do you think pics would be approbate ? I gotta say that every loyal *_* freak in the house would have more then there 2 cents to add , ha ha ha ha ha

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Dave the skin coat has always been cheese cloth and lets not forget that when you look at something that is vaccumed bagged 2 layers of glass can look like one , and all tabbing including the areas that are bonded to the hull and deck that can be seen by the human eye are also cheesed over to hide the seems , and to tell you the truth i can not believe that you said that the carbon fiber on the inside surface of the boat is there for general appearance. Dave my very old friend and not to be rude considering both S and E glass look the same when laminated with epoxy ( Shell ) & cured how can you tell the difference between the two fabrics BY LOOKING AT THE LAYUP ?
    Artie the point of my post was not that i could tell everything about the laminate by simply looking at it. I actually just assumed Peter used S glass when laminating with fiberglass, I also thought thats what you had told me. As far as the content is concerned the two i had in the shop were primarily epoxy and fiberglass (whatever brand, weave, weight i have no idea). There was just a small amount of carbon at the inner most layer, and yes i also understand Peter has other schedules that i'm sure are up to 100% CF. I also have another one in my shop that has a great deal of Kevlar in it (what a pain to work with ). As i said earlier i have always been impressed with the build quality.

One other thing to keep in mind as i have seen some references to carbon used in the aerospace industry. These differ greatly from carbon used in the marine industry and the properties really done carry over. Those type of strength numbers in CF can only be achieved by post curing and autoclaving.
    Last edited by glassdave; 02-12-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

9. Collapse Details

Dave , i apologize and when we talked about the content of what glass Douglas Marine , was using just how many years ago was that and did i not mention that Skater was using more E - glass then S - glass in there build because it was much more economical to use then S - glass because it offers a wide variety of weights and is a very hi strength fabric along with being cheaper which almost offers the same bang for the buck $$$$$$ but still not as good as S -glass as far as impact resistance and durability goes . Dam i hate this sometime's because everybody seems to get into a pissin match including my self about something that is so f**king stupid . Dave , you Dawgggggg and it was sure good talking with you today seeing that i was in Mich and you where at the boat show having a great time in warm weather looking at all those hot babes and great drinks to boot . Dave , i will give you a shout next week and what was the boat that had a hot tub in it again . ha ha ha ha CHESSE CLOTH .......Artie

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    Just to clarify, we're stating that skater uses S glass not E glass correct??
    Sorry for the late reply , yes Skater /Douglas marine uses S-glass in there build along with E-glass .

11. Collapse Details

Sorry for the late reply , yes Skater /Douglas marine uses S-glass in there build along with E-glass .
    Thanks for clearing that up! Do any other mfgs use s glass that you know of?

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Dave , i apologize and when we talked about the content of what glass Douglas Marine , was using just how many years ago was that and did i not mention that Skater was using more E - glass then S - glass in there build because it was much more economical to use then S - glass because it offers a wide variety of weights and is a very hi strength fabric along with being cheaper which almost offers the same bang for the buck $$$$$$ but still not as good as S -glass as far as impact resistance and durability goes . Dam i hate this sometime's because everybody seems to get into a pissin match including my self about something that is so f**king stupid . Dave , you Dawgggggg and it was sure good talking with you today seeing that i was in Mich and you where at the boat show having a great time in warm weather looking at all those hot babes and great drinks to boot . Dave , i will give you a shout next week and what was the boat that had a hot tub in it again . ha ha ha ha CHESSE CLOTH .......Artie
    actually yea Artie now that you mention it i do remember you saying Pete used S and E glass. Gimmie a call next week
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat