Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
  1. Collapse Details

These guys come to race here it's got to be N.Y.!!Bring our big guns let them go at it and unite all in the same race!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test1%20042.jpg   9923_1166711100965_1623558203_436334_2047055_n.jpg   Picture 244.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Ray, I'd read that San Diego hadn't paid it's agreed upon sanctioning fees to the unlimited guys for the past couple of years and that's why they pulled the plug. That's all I really know about it.

I've been to Bayfair twice. Last year and in 2000 (as I recall). I think it's a hell of an event. Decent crowd and tons of boat racing. But, they need to have their marquee class back. I also spent years going to Thunder on Onondaga (made it to most years they ran it in the 80's and 90's) so I have a lot of memories of the pre-turbine era and the conversion to turbines and have some comparison.

It's funny, I was talking to Pat W. the other day about the fact that what west coast offshore really needs to get back on its fee is a wealthy "patron" (person not the tequilla). Seems like you look at many of these sucessful eras and there was someone with money pushing the whole thing because it was their passion. Nordskog is a great example and your comments about Bernie Little are another great example of that.

And I also agree that we're all really on the same side here, and really all dreaming of the same goal. Ballbusting aside, it's something I do keep in mind when I engaged in serious discussion on the site.

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Slandrew View Post
    These guys come to race here it's got to be N.Y.!!Bring our big guns let them go at it and unite all in the same race!
    the phemon boat, i doubt will be used on a closed course with turns.

4. Collapse Details

Class 1 is in trouble. With the loss of Qatar last year and Maritimo now looking at racing stateside they still have to guarantee 10 boats. That means if Abu Dhabi comes in with one boat Victory needs to field 4 boats to make it.

If they have all those middle east teams what do they need us for? It is a 24 hr flight to get here from there. The logistics become insane. Not to say it will not happen it just looks very tough. They now have F1,F2,H1 and C1 and x cat, dow racing, jet skis......they are set.

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by shifter View Post
    Class 1 is in trouble. With the loss of Qatar last year and Maritimo now looking at racing stateside they still have to guarantee 10 boats. That means if Abu Dhabi comes in with one boat Victory needs to field 4 boats to make it.

If they have all those middle east teams what do they need us for? It is a 24 hr flight to get here from there. The logistics become insane. Not to say it will not happen it just looks very tough. They now have F1,F2,H1 and C1 and x cat, dow racing, jet skis......they are set.

pat W
    Are these wood race boats?

6. Collapse Details

wooden dow racing is big over there. Sails and outboards. They bet heavy on those races.

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

7. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Id like to see a race near detroit where the red bull races were run. Pair it with the Gold Cup weekend. I know St clair has a date but downtown detroit would be sweet. Air races were awesome and set up very well.
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

8. Collapse Details

Pat W. is so correct. I didn't want to say it because I like the optimism in this thread, but Class 1 has so many issues to contend with before, assuming it wanted to, it can expand stateside.

Ilmor Dude's point is what I would call "packaging," and to me that makes a ton of sense given the esoteric nature of powerboat racing. Expose the Unlimited faithful to the fans of offshore boats and vice-versa. For that to happen, there will be race course compromises that likely won't please the hardcore, "Victory at Sea" offshore fans like SkaterDave (and I hear you, SkaterDave, the true offshore races are, at least on video, are the best) but to me it's worthwhile.

My good friend T2X has an, um, well, conservative viewpoint on the future of offshore racing ... at least without unification. And frankly, while I'm a tad more hopeful than T2X, who has forgotten more about the sport than I will ever know, I share his view regarding the need for unification.

But when separate organizations reach a point where they really want to "take it to the next level," the only thing that will take them there is unity

Guys, this will never be the NFL (go Saints), the NBA (go Lakers) or MLB (go Giants ... someday ... who am I kidding?). But it can be more than it is now.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    Pat W. is so correct. I didn't want to say it because I like the optimism in this thread, but Class 1 has so many issues to contend with before, assuming it wanted to, it can expand stateside.

Ilmor Dude's point is what I would call "packaging," and to me that makes a ton of sense given the esoteric nature of powerboat racing. Expose the Unlimited faithful to the fans of offshore boats and vice-versa. For that to happen, there will be race course compromises that likely won't please the hardcore, "Victory at Sea" offshore fans like SkaterDave (and I hear you, SkaterDave, the true offshore races are, at least on video, are the best) but to me it's worthwhile.

My good friend T2X has an, um, well, conservative viewpoint on the future of offshore racing ... at least without unification. And frankly, while I'm a tad more hopeful than T2X, who has forgotten more about the sport than I will ever know, I share his view regarding the need for unification.

But when separate organizations reach a point where they really want to "take it to the next level," the only thing that will take them there is unity

Guys, this will never be the NFL (go Saints), the NBA (go Lakers) or MLB (go Giants ... someday ... who am I kidding?). But it can be more than it is now.
    just to add some more of my thoughts here, supercat racing of the early 2000's was just as cool to watch as C1. but i also have to take into consideration that i got to see Supercat racing in person and have seen C1 on video.

the boats don't have to be 10 miles out in the atlantic. honestly what i can remember as a kid watch the races they were just little dots out on the horizon, the real show was watching them go in and out of the point and getting in the pits. the first race i saw in probably ten plus yrs was in ft myers 1999. i couldn't believe that they let those guys run just a 100 yards or so of the beach. it was great racing, miami, lauderdale, st pete and sarasota all are great places to watch the races. my point was that too many lake races like cumberland are quite boring, especailly with a low boat count.

unity would be nice, but you need racers that actaully want to race each other.

10. Collapse Details

"From SkaterDave: "You need racers that actaully want to race each other."

Assuming the technical rules/playing field were level for a given class, wouldn't a racer be willing to race anybody? What I means is that if you only want to race people you know and like, that's fine, but that's not exactly a recipe for offshore racing's growth.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant ... its seems strange and I'm sure I'm misreading you.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    "From SkaterDave: "You need racers that actaully want to race each other."

Assuming the technical rules/playing field were level for a given class, wouldn't a racer be willing to race anybody? What I means is that if you only want to race people you know and like, that's fine, but that's not exactly a recipe for offshore racing's growth.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant ... its seems strange and I'm sure I'm misreading you.
    I'm guessing he's saying that everyone wants a trophy and to be a winner in a class of 1... They want to win, not compete. And that's why each org has 5 million classes. Just a guess. That's how I read it.

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

12. Collapse Details

13. Collapse Details
    KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid!
    Wink
    I'll say it again.
    What I think and most who understand the economics,dynamics and demographics of the issue.

1. Unification is a MUST! (there is always strength in numbers!) Combinations are also a plus -Water is Water, Boats racing on the water are racing Boats, not so much to us as it is to the general fan and public!

2. Event Underwriters, Sponsors etc. must be able promote their products ,brand image and be able to reach a large pool of product or service users to substantiate the investment! (viewers, fans, etc)

3. The events and series must be held at venues where shoreside and on boat viewing is close and comfortable, easily accessible and supported by other shoreside amenties and even other recreational draws.

4. The organization or individuals setting up the events and venues must be experts and successful at working with all the agencies and beauracies that must be satisfied to allow various venues to be used with limited restrictions and charges.

5. The ADVERTISING and EVENT PROMOTION must be very well funded and done by proven advertising and promotion experts who can mass market , advertise and promote to the interested public well in advance and keep promoting the event right up to even to time with wide media coverages.

My 5 not so Easy steps to the future of performance boat racing of all kinds!

WE sometimes within the performance boating community selfishly think of our racing events as only gratification for our efforts and ego's. If you look at any other successful form of racing and its events you will see that the FAN , VIEWER and MEDIA is the real Economic Engine that drives the sucess of the events or series especially when it comes to the companies and people who put up the money for the cost of the events and worthwhile purses.

If you don't give that engine oil and fuel its gonna stop runn'in!

Just my two cents.

Best Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar

14. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    For Offshore to succeed, there is one thing needed $$$$$$, and more $$$$$. we all have our own opinions, but how does one measure success??

with the 2010 season in the on deck, a bright outlook from promoters, but the bottom line is the economy is in the tank. there are too many one boat classes, and deep down no unity. Many keep it clean here on the net, but there is always talk behind close dooors. When looking at class 1, it does take a scholar to figure out they are hurting.

X-cat which represents 20+ teams is the largest class in the world!!!! yet here in the US,we have 5 or less teams racing, why??

Class 5 and 6 are seem to be growing, but at a regoinal level.

SVL has the chance to set the pace here in the states, what will happen???

bottom line the economy will set the pace for most racers in 2010.

just my opinion.
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Raylar View Post
    I'll say it again.
    What I think and most who understand the economics,dynamics and demographics of the issue.

1. Unification is a MUST! (there is always strength in numbers!) Combinations are also a plus -Water is Water, Boats racing on the water are racing Boats, not so much to us as it is to the general fan and public!

2. Event Underwriters, Sponsors etc. must be able promote their products ,brand image and be able to reach a large pool of product or service users to substantiate the investment! (viewers, fans, etc)

3. The events and series must be held at venues where shoreside and on boat viewing is close and comfortable, easily accessible and supported by other shoreside amenties and even other recreational draws.

4. The organization or individuals setting up the events and venues must be experts and successful at working with all the agencies and beauracies that must be satisfied to allow various venues to be used with limited restrictions and charges.

5. The ADVERTISING and EVENT PROMOTION must be very well funded and done by proven advertising and promotion experts who can mass market , advertise and promote to the interested public well in advance and keep promoting the event right up to even to time with wide media coverages.

My 5 not so Easy steps to the future of performance boat racing of all kinds!

WE sometimes within the performance boating community selfishly think of our racing events as only gratification for our efforts and ego's. If you look at any other successful form of racing and its events you will see that the FAN , VIEWER and MEDIA is the real Economic Engine that drives the sucess of the events or series especially when it comes to the companies and people who put up the money for the cost of the events and worthwhile purses.

If you don't give that engine oil and fuel its gonna stop runn'in!

Just my two cents.

Best Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar
    You promote well enough fastest boats on the planet or open mph classes they will come !!Ego thats a whole nother story