Thread: Warpath!

Page 32 of 161 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 82 132 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lucy View Post
    it is good to be back!
    Welcome back Lucy! How was your time away?
    Queen of Bammin'

2. Collapse Details

indeed!. look at what happened to this light layup with todays modern construction materials and techniques.
    Purely an instance of where the engineered capabilities of the hull were exceeded. Everyone thinks something went wrong- it didn't. They just asked more of the design than it was engineered to deliver.

There has yet to be constructed by man any device that can't be broken.

3. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Purely an instance of where the engineered capabilities of the hull were exceeded. Everyone thinks something went wrong- it didn't. They just asked more of the design than it was engineered to deliver.

There has yet to be constructed by man any device that can't be broken.
    Absolutley fals,,,but i can't and will not discuss this here !!!

On the TRIP and almost STUFF,,,i think it was a throttle man error,,,,,SORRY BOBBY....the reason why i say this ,,i have done it in a strong boat !!!

4. Collapse Details
    Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefApache View Post
    Welcome back Lucy! How was your time away?
    Thank you sweetie, it was breath taken!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bazil #3 029.jpg   bazil #3 024.jpg   Sugar Loaf Brazil 126.jpg  

Last edited by lucy; 09-01-2009 at 11:38 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Banned
    Nice pictures and again a gourges blond.

6. Collapse Details

I'll make this easy.

First boat is heavy layup. Second one is much lighter. Water conditions are almost identical.

In Bobby's own words- "The boat slammed down hard. The forward buoyancy pushed the nose up and I went forward on the sticks, driving the boat out of the hole. In any other boat we'd have gone under".

If your theory were true, you could put a Sterling 1550 in a 24' Fountain and clean up. On this topic, Sir Isaac Newton prevails.
    Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post

On the TRIP and almost STUFF,,,i think it was a throttle man error,,,,,SORRY BOBBY....the reason why i say this ,,i have done it in a strong boat !!!
    Chris, I'm in agreement with you although the second race in the banner boat they had an electrical problem where every time he ran the trim it would cut the engines so they had no trim during the race. According to Bobby they started the race late and set the drives/tabs at a good all around setting and told everyone to hang on.

I found it out because a long time ago on OSO I posted that just a little tab would have avoided the trip/stuff and later Bobby came on to clear the air and let us all know the details of what/why it happened!

My view on lighter vs. heavy... I've ridden on a lot of different boats and I prefer the heavier ones. I'm not in love with needing 800 hp and yes the lighter ones can run on top of the water instead of thru it but when it gets big enough all that crap goes out the window! The same goes for steps, where in rough seas they're almost negligible. and talk about adding ballast and yadda yadda yadda.. you better be ready to add 1000 - 1500 lbs of water.

In fact, I've been on a few of these new Epoxy light weight rocket ships that are 5-10 ft longer than mine and they can land pretty darn hard under 70 mph. It's awesome to achieve the 100 mph with stock power but there's always a sacrafice.

Nowadays the races are near-shore or even greater amount are in-shore so the landscape of the sport has changed significantly and so have the boats.

Just my opinion.

7. Collapse Details
    Wink
    In Bobby's own words- "The boat slammed down hard. The forward buoyancy pushed the nose up and I went forward on the sticks, driving the boat out of the hole. In any other boat we'd have gone under".
    words of wisdom!!

8. Collapse Details

As far as cats are concerned, I believe the opposite is true... Cats achieve speed by essentially "flying" so a lighter and stronger lay-up can be better... They don't call them "skaters" for nothin!

To compare, I've been in a 36' Skater in 4-5's and it ran great, if not better than my Apache...It also did 100 mph with 500 efi's and I could sip a cup of coffee...

I even think Apache knew this and (stick my kneck out for saying this) but it could even be why towards the end they started experimenting with the concept.

9. Collapse Details

Thank you sweetie, it was breath taken!
    I saw something on the History Channel on that statue. You were in South America? Was it Rio or at least in Brazil?

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing them.
    Queen of Bammin'

10. Collapse Details
    Wink
    Rio de Janairo, Brazil.

11. Collapse Details
    Wink
    Like to know your opinion on light Apaches versus heavy Apaches, what is your preference and why??
    any more opinions??

12. Collapse Details
    Wink
    The second and third one are non believers and should get banned from the tribe,,,,,they are not focused. HOUGHW
    LOL!!

13. Collapse Details

Like to know your opinion on light Apaches versus heavy Apaches, what is your preference and why??
    Light and Low CG. Simple physics...
    Resin Buckets stay outtada way.
    And Like Daredevil said....ballast tanks are the key.

Plus something that makes noise like steel plate, is yellow and black, crossbonded and is 1/3 the weight...That in the Avatar is 100% that...
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 09-01-2009 at 05:19 PM.

14. Collapse Details

Maybe you´ll get a chance to show it to me IRL in a month, I´ve got a green light from work.

15. Collapse Details

I'll make this easy.

First boat is heavy layup. Second one is much lighter. Water conditions are almost identical.

If your theory were true, you could put a Sterling 1550 in a 24' Fountain and clean up. On this topic, Sir Isaac Newton prevails.
    Warpath is nose heavy period.
    And I´d hate that, But Bobby Saves it only with his skill IMO.

Team Apache on the other hand is just like I like it... loose and FAST..you gotta be alert an Yes Bobby missed one jump only.
    Great timing he had in the day especially with no trim.
    I´d take Team Apache anyday vs Warpath ans so did the Factory team back in the day and IMO the sea is a bit rougher with sharper waves in this vid.

Regarding the theory of a Sterling 1550´s (or a hull full of T´N´T) in a 24 footer...well enter Isaac Newton and lets consider something else also than pure hp/weight....
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 09-01-2009 at 05:50 PM.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    As far as cats are concerned, I believe the opposite is true... Cats achieve speed by essentially "flying" so a lighter and stronger lay-up can be better... They don't call them "skaters" for nothin!

To compare, I've been in a 36' Skater in 4-5's and it ran great, if not better than my Apache...It also did 100 mph with 500 efi's and I could sip a cup of coffee...

I even think Apache knew this and (stick my kneck out for saying this) but it could even be why towards the end they started experimenting with the concept.
    Our Racecat builder advised us not to Autoclave our cat but we did it anyway...
    And every one we in the future will be fabricating well be done likewise.

At the Last European Champs in the rough we still put 100lbs of extra ballast and being at least that much overweight, still being able to run good in the rough so the theory in the rough is extra ballast to avoid unneccessary airing. *100lbs is 5% of our total raceweight...

17. Collapse Details

Lucy, you've been on both, how do you feel about them?

A new question for the masses....

In rough water what do you prefer? A 24 degree deadrise or another variant?

18. Collapse Details

Nice pictures and again a gourges blond.
    +1
    I´d say Yes

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post

A new question for the masses....

In rough water what do you prefer? A 24 degree deadrise or another variant?
    A 28...

Back in the day a 28 degree deep Vee made Don Aronow more or less eat outta the hand of two Swedish Airline pilots who started racing offshore with their own boats...
    And It was a 21 footer that Beat Don´s Magnums...in the rough.
    Don wasn´t pleased after the race...

I did understand the question right..you meant Rough as in SHARP waves...like shipbreaking sharp...

The second best are the 26´s of for Example Sutphen and Flying Flipper.
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 09-01-2009 at 05:54 PM.

20. Collapse Details

This is my opinion,

I like light cats (but strong) in the flat and with a little chop but as far as with rough I would want a boat like the Apache Warpath #2 that I rode in. It serves the purpose right. Besides non of these boats are going to break any speed records anytime soon.

If I were to own one I would want Warpath #1, due to it being in the original condition, has lots of real history on and off the coarse..Again my opinion.