Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor
    I will look later. It must be of St Clair. Yes, you have to lift there.. most everyplace else we race it is not necessary.

I think it was you Dean that said earlier after the first turn you do not need to hug the buoys. You can make the turn wider so you don't have to lift.. I have found it faster around the turn to sweep it if you can.... Sometimes there is some one in the way or faster boats overtaking you and you are forced to turn harder then ideal. But oh. well that is part of it. You just have to learn to make the best of each and every situation.

2. Collapse Details

It's in the Ocean

3. Collapse Details

Well then, That explains that.

I wish all our races were in the Ocean. There are a whole set of different skills needed there.

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    the lines the cat OB took 1st turn in St Clair

svl at the first turn, now picture a few more in the mix
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

5. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Dean's got this one, Some of you all need to refigure the math on "sweeping" turns. There is a short way around and a long way around, and you would be surprised the amount of extra speed you need to carry to go only two boat widths further in a arc around a two pin turn. Regardless. SVL guys go back and look at your LOTO laps last year, We were watching on the turn just past start finish. Sweeping, Arcing, Chopping, whatever there is absolutely no reason not to be inches off the first pin.

6. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Daredevil, That idea you had teaming up actually sounded good for a split second. But I'm pretty certain it wouldn't pan out. Plus if your keeping that thing in Class 4 OPA, I don't believe your boat has a chance against the Simmonsnator. I also couldn't be associated with your B.S. I did just see however a video you have on youtube for sponsorship, couldn't watch it for some reason, this computer is not working right, but good idea putting it out there. Would still love to race you some day though. Keep taking pointers from everyone on here for driving skills, it is making my chances better and better.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    Watch this video of Randy at 2:36, 4:40 and 5:18 of the video you will Randy lift for the turn. Looks a sounds like more than 1/2 throttle and I didn't see him get passed. If you ain't lifting on todays courses you are going twice as far as everyone on the inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip7A6...&feature=email

Great video by the way!
    Great Video
    I didnt realize Randy was working so hard when he passed us in 5 LOL
    TEAM 531 WHOZ YOUR DADDY OFFSHORE RACING
    www.WHOZYOURDADDYRACING.com
    OPA THE JERSEY BOYZ

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
    SVL guys go back and look at your LOTO laps last year, We were watching on the turn just past start finish. Sweeping, Arcing, Chopping, whatever there is absolutely no reason not to be inches off the first pin.
    Well you didn't see us lift on that end. As it worked out the apex hugged the second pin and the third was tight. turning on the first pin as you say only forced an adjustment of the turn for or at the second pin and /or left you wide on the third.

I must have done it right because we made ground on the black boat every turn. They were actually a little faster on the straights.

You have your way, I have a different way

9. Collapse Details

Banned
    Daredevil, That idea you had teaming up actually sounded good for a split second. But I'm pretty certain it wouldn't pan out. Plus if your keeping that thing in Class 4 OPA, I don't believe your boat has a chance against the Simmonsnator. I also couldn't be associated with your B.S. I did just see however a video you have on youtube for sponsorship, couldn't watch it for some reason, this computer is not working right, but good idea putting it out there. Would still love to race you some day though. Keep taking pointers from everyone on here for driving skills, it is making my chances better and better.
    If the new motor is in,,, i just thought u wanna be in a winning boat....i don't have jim's money..but i shure will beat him...just need to get her done !!!!
    Last edited by DAREDEVIL; 05-18-2010 at 08:07 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Competitor
    I've actually ONLY been in winning boats, Would love to have that other Yellow 34 Phantom that we had raced against in the past, That would be a good one to give Jim a run. I love that boat of his, handles ridiculous. I think the one thing i regret the most is losing to Bruce in Ocean City in his 30' phantom. Would love to have that one to do over. Chock it up to my inexperience i guess.

Apparently I still need to learn how to turn, Guess i was doing it wrong. ??

11. Collapse Details

Banned
    I've actually ONLY been in winning boats, Would love to have that other Yellow 34 Phantom that we had raced against in the past, That would be a good one to give Jim a run. I love that boat of his, handles ridiculous. I think the one thing i regret the most is losing to Bruce in Ocean City in his 30' phantom. Would love to have that one to do over. Chock it up to my inexperience i guess.

Apparently I still need to learn how to turn, Guess i was doing it wrong. ??
    Which yellow , a 34 ???

12. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    bilge,, you run the boat where you feel comfortable,,then step it up every lap..i,m sure youll be fine,,the Imco Phantom drives like a cadillac,,so the driving job is much easier and the ride is much safer,,,just being in a canopy gives you a lot more confidence,,good luck stop by any time ,,George Jr,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

13. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Yes there was a Yellow 34 That ran a few times, and was in Key West i believe. It used to say "Bluewater Realty" on the side. cool boat. Actually a 34 with a canopy would be the cats a$$, or cats Meow, or maybe even the Cats Pajamas.

14. Collapse Details

Banned
    Yes there was a Yellow 34 That ran a few times, and was in Key West i believe. It used to say "Bluewater Realty" on the side. cool boat. Actually a 34 with a canopy would be the cats a$$, or cats Meow, or maybe even the Cats Pajamas.
    There was only 1 canopy 34 build ( Mr.Technology ) ..125 MPH after dialed in by german engineering !!!!!

Pic is from before !!!! will at the trim buttons..lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mrtech.jpg  
    Last edited by DAREDEVIL; 05-18-2010 at 09:40 PM.

15. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Well how I like to make high speed turns. Well as soon as the flag is dropped, or the first post which ever comes first. I try to beat everyone by typing up to 90 wpm (words per minute). Than use the up arrow to simulate trim, space bar is throttle. Hit the shift to throttle down, 3 bumps on the right arrow for a right hand turn like for St Clair and Biloxi. Than brag on how fast I can type, and my awesome spelling ability. If I was able to break away and post first. I always give some advice on how I would do it in the real world.

16. Collapse Details

Come on guys... It was a serious question and the guys who were kind enough to offer up some advice get banged on. What site is this again?

Were talking about a 30foot velocity in the 75mph bracket.
    The tight turn in StClair is how tight? Radious wise 100yard U turn?tighter?

17. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog88 View Post
    Come on guys... It was a serious question and the guys who were kind enough to offer up some advice get banged on. What site is this again?

Were talking about a 30foot velocity in the 75mph bracket.
    The tight turn in StClair is how tight? Radious wise 100yard U turn?tighter?
    100 yrads is fine...actually its a little more then that...but just practice and don't listen to stupid reply's...they wish they where good thats all !!!!!

18. Collapse Details

DD, the north turn may be tighter than that.

I think you should focus on knowing how tight you can turn at a given speed . Make sure you do not to cross or ride up on wakes while turning. Get your turn trim settings down pat.

You may find your first race a little overwhelming. Just take it all in and enjoy it. Just aim to finish without tearing anything up. That alone is an accomplishment. After you get one under your belt you will really have fun.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 05-18-2010 at 11:14 PM.

19. Collapse Details

Watching the Simmonator battle Bounty Hunter in Ocean City last year was one hell of a race... He does have that Simmonator wired.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

20. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert/Competitor/Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    There are alot of very talented guys on these sites, just remember that to win a race you do not have to or really want to turn "hard". In a rough water race it is about picking the smoothest line without giving ground to a competitor. In a smooth water race it is about being smooth without losing or scrubing speed. Most turns are 2 pins and the quickest way around is one bend, not two tight turns. So don't go out and practice 90 degree turns. Practice keeping your boat smooth and effiecent in the water. Don't get hurt!

I know I'm the king of spin!

And he's not kidding !!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spinning Wahoo.bmp  
    The Michigan Madman
    url]www.crockettmarineengines.com[/url]