Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Collapse Details

When I was looking for boats I called people, regardless of price posted or not, made what I felt was a fair offer pending survey, sea trial, visual inspection etc. If we agreed, I then went to look at the boat and so on and so forth. If we couldn't come to terms I moved on.

You'd be surprised how many people sent me emails after the fact, who wanted to agree to my price. One guy said he'd take my price if I bought it before so-and-so date.. The kicker is I already had another deal in progress with another seller so I guess he was a day late and a dollar short. I'd fall in love with the deal first, then the boat, otherwise you'll wind up paying more!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshoredrillin View Post
    I understand, but my point is, you know what you want/need for your trade. if they can make it that's fine, if not that's fine too. Not all business is good business. I tell potential customers at least 3 times a day that are price shopping me, "I would love to have your business, however the prices that we have discussed are what I need in order to make sure I continue to be able to offer the warranty and service that I do" Usually they will think about it and come back. When buying or selling anything keep emotion out of it until after the deal is done. when I bought the Tiger from Victor, by both him and I being up front and honest with dollars, I made a friend as well.
    That's the right way to do business as far as I am concerned. In the RV world there is a lot of mark up in new product (yea……I said it!). I have always been the guy who actually tells you what I will sell it for. That does not mean that is the end of negotiation, but we don't play the paper across the desk and go talk to a Manager game. I believe in an up front honest approach to sales. I think it keeps me from being "That SOB that sold me this thing". And more than likely to became there RV guy.

Why are we discussing this any way. The powers that be on SOS have set the rules. They are good rules based on experience and combined decision making. If you have a real problem posting a price for some thing you want to sell. There are many out lets that provide you that opportunity. Here at SOS.......We post adds with prices. It keeps us all honest and happy. Look at it this way! We do not have to worry about Stecz offering his sheep to Chris cheaper than he is offering them to you!
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    I really like how the classified adds here on Serious are required to have prices. I have been boat shopping and am surprised by how many of the large dealers post no price.

How many of you call on advertisements with no price? I do not bother as I expect an oppourtunist answer and the only time I did the price later changed. Whats your experience/opinion?

Thanks
    Steve
    So what are you looking to buy now?
    I'd rather be on the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with my boat on the rocks.

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Want a mid 30's cat or Gladiator/top gun. Prefered boat is a 39 MTI or 36 Skater with small power (525's) and silent choice.
    Steve

5. Collapse Details

Hey Steve. You can get my Avanti for a great price.

But I agree with the pricing. Even if an MSRP to start with it gives a search parameter to the buyer.
    Everything is negotiable. A starting price or range should/must be with the ad. No price = greed.
    Specialy from dealers. (no disrespect to dealers on the board) but it comes down to how much the dealer/seller can get from a novice boat buyer with $.
    Most experienced buyer/boater will have an idea about the boat price range.
    If I don't see a price, the sellers wants to discuss and see how much he/she can get ABOVE the market price. I rather see a price even if it's higher (and/or best offer)or a "wishful" price then nothing. No price. see-yaa and I keep looking.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

6. Collapse Details
    Just My Option
    I aways like to see price in an ad, if there is no price I may not even take a good look at the ad. A good example is I had no intention of buying a another boat. The Avanti I had was just prefect for the boating that I do. Boat is only used on Lake Geoge and we usally only go out for a few hours in the aftermoon, I have always wanted a Cafe Racer or a 33 Powerplay but really had no plans on buying one. Last Aug while wasting time on computer I saw an ad in classifies on OSO for a 33 Powerplay at a very low price, remember I wasn't looking for a boat I was happy with what I had. Made the call ( none of this e-mail BS) the boat was in my driveway four days latter. Also this boat wasn't close it was a long trip to pick it up..

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    Want a mid 30's cat or Gladiator/top gun. Prefered boat is a 39 MTI or 36 Skater with small power (525's) and silent choice.
    Steve
    Hah! First, you have to find someone willing to actually do business with the likes of you....

(Happy New Year...)

8. Collapse Details

Hey Steve, take a look at 33 Express
    heres a little video from last sunday
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djEYWwDD2Ho
    make a good deal on her , has 540's

9. Collapse Details

I prefer to see prices, but if I am serious about buying and find something I like without a posted price I have no problem calling. My current boat was a leftover model from the prior year that was listed on iboats as "Internet Special, Call For Price". I was pleasantly surprised to hear the price when I called and bought the boat. I prefer to see pricing up front, but don't feel it is a waste of my time or below me to have to call on something I'm truly interested in.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    I prefer to see prices, but if I am serious about buying and find something I like without a posted price I have no problem calling.
    Thats kind of how I feel about the situation as well.

Whenever I post something for sale I do my best to post a price unless its an item(s) that is hard to price and/or you really don't know what the market will bear. For instance, the engines I'm trying to help a friend sell... I was reluctant to post a price because I'd rather speak with people about it and come to some kind of agreement since we couldn't really set a price point. Everyone wants a price but we don't konw what the market will bear and everyone has their own price of what something is worth... You can see a used 525EFI with 200 hrs for $20K and a used 800hp blower motor that was rebuilt for less. It's a double edged sword on the internet and you never know how people are going to react because sometimes you post a price and everyone complains that it's too high even if you list "obo". In all honesty I think those are the tire kickers. I think if someone is truely interested in something they will at least attempt to make contact, even if it's only an email.

11. Collapse Details

I like the prices listed, especially on parts since I am always shopping for deals. For example, if I see an external steering setup listed at $500 I would be all over it if I needed it or not, but the same setup listed at $2000 may be a good deal or not. I will keep searching.
    When I sell boats on my site or the net I always list the price, I don't have time to answer all of the calls asking how much.
    I do know if I see a price listed on a boat I know it is always negotiable!

12. Collapse Details

It's nice to know I'm at least in the ballpark before I waste their time, or mine.
    Abbysomeone

13. Collapse Details

I makes very little difference to me if an ad has a price. I have always looked for a particular boat and proceeded to investigate its equipment and condition;I will know in very short order if a seller is reasonable. - Jeff
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson