Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Powerboat is a great magazine. It has it's slow months at times, but so does every other magazine.

I do wish they would include even MORE of their photography, instead of so much "talk" filling up nearly all of the pages at times. Just a little tweak is all. Maybe they could add an insert, that's all photos? Or, they could have an end of the year double issue, where one of them contains all of the best shots from that years' events?

I still love opening the mailbox to find it as much as always

2. Collapse Details

A side note about the ads..

I think some of them are just as interesting as the magazine itself. Reggie "love'em or hate'em" Fountain always has nice ads. Price, power, speed, etc- all right there to compare. For me, it is great reading about 3 lengths with the same power running what speeds for what $$.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    A side note about the ads..

I think some of them are just as interesting as the magazine itself. Reggie "love'em or hate'em" Fountain always has nice ads. Price, power, speed, etc- all right there to compare. For me, it is great reading about 3 lengths with the same power running what speeds for what $$.
    See, that right there is a perfect example of how you can not please everyone!

I agree with you 100%. I love looking at and reading the ads. But you never hear the end of "there's too much advertisement filler!" (well, until now when none of the business' have a budget for advertisement )

What'cha gonna do?
    Last edited by Tank; 12-17-2009 at 07:34 PM.
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    Powerboat is a great magazine. It has it's slow months at times, but so does every other magazine.

I do wish they would include even MORE of their photography, instead of so much "talk" filling up nearly all of the pages at times. Just a little tweak is all. Maybe they could add an insert, that's all photos? Or, they could have an end of the year double issue, where one of them contains all of the best shots from that years' events?
    I think that is an awesome idea and passed it along to the powers at be over there.

I can assure you the editors are always looking for fresh ideas and ways to reach out to readers with new stuff. Feel free to keep the ideas coming!

Tank
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I think that is an awesome idea and passed it along to the powers at be over there.

I can assure you the editors are always looking for fresh ideas and ways to reach out to readers with new stuff. Feel free to keep the ideas coming!

Tank
    That would be really cool man. If they could figure out a way to incorporate either an insert, or some sort of extra piece that really shows off the pictorial aspect of their capabilities, that would be a really cool addition.

I do realize that more paper = more money. So, having an extra insert could be too expensive to justify, especially in the current economic times. I just think they would definitely benefit, by showing as much of their skills with the camera as possible.

It would definitely take away some of the pressure the writers have each month, that include trying to consistently cover relevant topics in the boating world, that may or may not be interesting to "all" of their readers.

It is however, pretty tough to screw up great pictures, even if they are of boats some of the readers might not usually take an interest in.

6. Collapse Details

I think the insert idea is great and truly enjoy the indepth coverage of a lot of the poker runs all over the country and even abroad. This allows some of us with limited availability to participate in these fabulous runs without having to leave our homes or offices (or bathrooms, we all read at our own time!!!) None the less, maybe a small insert covering one or several of the most recent poker runs for that month would be an example of very timely updates of what went on for that month and who was there, i.e. pics of boats etc. I know several of the big runs are done but it would not take a lot of effort to email pics from the poker run organizers who had an event that month if they knew it might get a little exposure. Anyway, just an idea for us to enjoy the runs we are not able to always attend. Again, keep up the good work Matt, it is colder than chit in Chicago and that magazine warms me up every month!!!

7. Collapse Details

I love PB magazine and the idea Brandon said would be great......i will say this mth issue i think was the skinniest one ever but hey everything is down.....but nothing like sitting in the bathroom and reading it for hrs

8. Collapse Details

Mixed feelings:
    The negatives
    I never got my t-shirt for my subscription.
    No one was at the booth at the 2009 Los Angeles Boat show (plenty of help at the Performance Boat mag booth) to complain about it.
    Not enough pictures.

The positives
    Great tech help.
    Cool coverage of new products for the industry.
    Like the retro article at the end of the issue.

I too am one that likes to support what supports our beloved sport of performance boating. PBM is a very good magazine that I will continue to subscribe too with room for improvement (I like that double issue year in review idea, that would be cool!), I guess I will just remain 'shirtless'.

tom

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHIN SUCKS View Post
    Mixed feelings:
    The negatives
    I never got my t-shirt for my subscription.
    +1. I never got mine from my last subscription...or my calendar.

10. Collapse Details

I thought I would offer my input as someone else in the publishing side of boat mags.

As many of you know Ned owns and runs H2O Full Throttle. But what many of you dont know is the model he moulded H2O on was that of Powerboat Magazine. Its been around for decades and will continue to be around for decades. When Tom Newby was alive they set the standard, a very high standard, for amazing photography. Ned and Tom were friends and constantly chatted about who was shooting what and his goal was to try and aspire to Toms abilities. That was one of the things that made Powerboat magazine a great read then, and it still is now. Its the one magazine all of us here at Oceania Media hold as the yardstick to what we want to achieve.

They have some great writers on their staff and I personally enjoy Dick DeBartolos stuff, sort of reminds me of MAD comic

Yes times are tough out there with advertising and 2010 probably wont be much different but where you can help is to subscribe to them. Yes you can read a magazine online or get your news and press releases on the forum but NOTHING beats the enjoyment of a hard copy printed magazine where you can unfold it and look at a DPS of a poker run boat or a raceboat in full flight. Thats why people buy the mags. Rather than knock any of the magazines for putting out a thinner magazine how about taking a few minutes to subscribe to it and help ensure they are around for the long run. It would be a very sad day to see Powerboat magazine discontinued, but my personal thoughts are, it aint going to happen.

I know there are thousands of people out there who have enjoyed Powerboat magazine since its inception, so help them out and take out a subscription or renew your sub. Dont know what it costs for a sub but I can bet you it will be money well spent.

And with regards to seeing more pics in the mags, dont worry about that, the pics in H2O help make up that shortfall.

The other thing you guys may like to remember is that without the photographers out there then magazines like Powerboat and H2O Full Throttle wouldnt exist. These guys bust their asses to get out there and shoot as many events as they can. People like Jay Nichols, Pierce, Pete Boden, Tim Sharkey, Lori Gaines, etc spend a lot of time on the road to bring you those great images so why not try and help them out this Xmas as well by buying an image or two from them. I know they are finding it tough as well. I dont know many of their websites except Jay Nichols so here is it:

http://www.naplesimage.com

So take a minute and have a look and if you can buy one of his images then I know he would appreciate it.

So bottom line everyone hard copy print magazines are important to this industry, so do what you can to help ensure their survival. Everyone have a great Xmas and New Year from all of us here at H2O Full Throttle.

Cheers

Rick Williams
    Admin Manager
    Oceania Media Group

11. Collapse Details

Thanks for keeping it positive Rick!

12. Collapse Details

I was doing a project a while back and they stopped by the shop,Nice bunch of people in my opinion.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

13. Collapse Details

Hey guys,

I was talking to Gregg Mansfield (he's the editor of Powerboat) yesterday and he's been following this thread. And he keeps finding good point after good point. For sure, some issues of Powerboat are stronger than others, and yes indeed, times are tough across the marine industry. But trust me when I say that Gregg listens closely to you. You might not get everything you want (I am afraid go-fast deck boats are here to stay ... sorry East Coast guys), but you'll get some of it.

I'll give you an example. Gregg agrees with you guys who want restoration stories, which is why we did that story on the second coming of "Off Duty," which was Fred Kiehaefer's old McManus. Obviously, you can't create a whole magazine's worth of that kind of feature (at least if staying in business is a priority), but a couple of them a year are a good idea (and lots of fun to write). A good idea that came from ... you guys.

Rick ... your post was just, well, gracious and very cool. I have been writing for H20 Full Throttle as well, and I can tell you that there probably isn't a man with more passion for motorsports of all kinds, particularly powerboat racing, than Ned Dawson, H20's publisher.

Advertising revenue is important, but even in the best of times magazines cannot survive without loyal readers. Otherwise, why would any advertiser waste his hard-earned dollars? You guys are the most important resource Powerboat has.

14. Collapse Details

Ideas:
    - same boat, different power rides (like the Fountain do)
    - 2 stroke vs 4 stroke comparisons, test identical boats with each
    - custom power head to head comparisons (Brad Smith, Eddie Young, Sterling, Ilmor, Gellner, JC Performance) Seems every one has a different idea how to make power the best way. Have a shoot out with all of them making X HP or whatever. Would be awesome if you had a single engine hull some where to test the same hull with all their different powers in.
    -free ads for Julie of Throttle Up Props!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by H2O Full Throttle View Post
    And with regards to seeing more pics in the mags, dont worry about that, the pics in H2O help make up that shortfall.
    Definitely agree to that!!! Fantastic quality mag.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TIKI View Post
    http://www.powerboatmag.com/

click on subsciber services

or next time you're at the grocery store...grab one out of the mag
    A friend of mine in High School got a shop lifting charge for that!
    Go Go Gadget arms!

17. Collapse Details

Your friend got popped for that? Yikes, I see that as an anti-litter public service. Plus ... any magazine publisher in his right mind would love it.

To borrow from Shakespeare, "The law is an ass."

At times, anyway.