Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Did anyone notice the tab position??

2. Collapse Details

If you're going to do stuff like that, you need to use the proper tool...

3. Collapse Details

Gotta love it, no vests, just kickin' back like its nothing. The only rough water looks like its right under the boat(judging by the dinghies in the background).

4. Collapse Details

Registered
    Tommy Monza: now you know how I came up with SHEER TERROR

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tommymonza View Post
    The one and only time i stuffed a offshore boat story.

It was 1980 and i was 16 years old out on Lake Michigan off Holland.Nice day with the big lake smooth as glass with some rollers. I was out on our new boat that my older brother had built which was a 26 footer with some 260s in it.
    Well this was a hull that we had owned for years as a Monza and had twin 165 6bangers in it. You could barely jump off a 5 foot wave with the thing and get air as it was so underpowered and heavy,
    Anyways my brother had made a mold off it in 1980 and built a new deck mold for it.With it being built significantly lighter and with the 260s it was a rocket , Also that hull had a ton of rocker in it and would get really loose,

So back to the story .Here i am 16 years old with many hours under my belt but not in this boat,My best friend is with me who tended to avoid my boating activities back then.

We are tearing across Lake Michigan and this boat is trimmed loose. Out of nowhere comes that 1 one in a million wave.
    I chop the throttles but it is about 2 weeks to late. We head for the sky.Something i will never forget is listening to the motors idling while we are in the air and looking over at my buddy Jack and seeing the sheer terror in his eyes. He had not done any of this before ,to me it was another day of trying to emulate Johnny Offshore Racer.
    Well i did not throttle up reentering and we tripped and stuffed so hard to this day i cannot believe i am alive.

We stuffed the bow 5 feet under and would have lost our heads to the water if the impact had not thrown us forward and under the windshield.
    After we stopped i was a little shook up but my buddy Jack just kept mumbling something about got to go home gotta go home go home now.

Fun stuff i tell ya.

he needed new underwear i'd bet.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    Gotta love it, no vests, just kickin' back like its nothing. The only rough water looks like its right under the boat(judging by the dinghies in the background).
    Judging by the angle of the photo, my guess is it was taken from atop something that puts off a significant wake.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Judging by the angle of the photo, my guess is it was taken from atop something that puts off a significant wake.
    Like a Carver at LOTO ? LOL

8. Collapse Details

looks like Haulover Inlet and the shutterbug is on the end of the rip rap wall

but I could be wrong..
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    Like a Carver at LOTO ? LOL
    I saw those pics. That tiny Gladiator was half that far out of the water. I hate to think what got Hoggie up like that. Something BIG.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    looks like Haulover Inlet and the shutterbug is on the end of the rip rap wall

but I could be wrong..
    Unless a supertanker just exited Haulover, something had to make whatever got that boat that far up in the air. And from the angle, I'd think it was already starting on it's way down.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    If there's one thing I've noticed, its that photo's dont really tell the whole story. There's the pic of that Apache going vert. I remember the guy saying the landing wasn't that bad at all. There's also the pic of Aronow going vert in that black and white photo years ago (and the one of the single step Cig as well, both pics were used for advertisements). There's video of that pic too, landing wasn't as bad as the air looked. I have a picture of our boat getting pretty vertical. To look at the pic, you'd think it was a gnarly landing, when in fact it was barely noticable while we were running (there's video of it too).
    It also depends on what you do when the props hit the water.While I have never been that high I always nail the sticks on when the props touch.

12. Collapse Details

Unless a supertanker just exited Haulover, something had to make whatever got that boat that far up in the air. And from the angle, I'd think it was already starting on it's way down.
    I'd say Government Cut judging by the curvature of the beach.. And you do not need another vessel to toss a roller in the cuts, an onshore wind with an outgoing tide will do just fine, especially with that much trim...