Thread: Winter Projects

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

BTW, my stuff is coming together too..Lots of little tidy'ing up to do yet, but getting ready for summertime!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0616.jpg   IMAG0618.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Looking good Joe!

Mike....if you do decide to go the MSD route let me know....our local speed shop was beat everyone's prices and he can have them the next day. MSD no longer has the Stand alone marine ignition box and have standardized with the one with the soft touch rev limiter built in like I purchased. Give me a call on my cell if you are interested.

3. Collapse Details

Joe,
    Did you go with bigger blowers or stay with the same ones you had before?
    Looking good.

4. Collapse Details

Went from the 177CI 525SC style blowers to the B&M 250CID blowers. I had thought of going to a 6-71 or 8-71 setup, the big blowers just take to much power to turn. If i had bigger CI motors I would have went bigger on the blowers though.

I actually have a article somewhere, where they dyno'ed a 468CI mill, with a 177 Weiand, then a 8-71 weiand. The only place the 8-71 outperformed the small blower was after about 5000 rpm, and even then it was minimal, and low rpm torque was better with the smaller blower. The gains from the bigger blower come in when you get past 5psi though, as the 177 is pretty limited to its effiecency on a 454-468ci around 5psi.

I was at around 5lbs last summer. Will probably run 7lbs this season. With the 250's, making 7lbs, they will still be turning quite a bit slower (about 30% slower) than the 177's were making 5lbs, if that makes sense.

Jimmy Valakeo just did a 575 merc upgrade, they did a set of aluminum heads, cam, and cranked the boost up to around 7 or 7.5psi, no intercooler. 753HP. Not bad for a 502CI with a small 256 blower and mercs low static compression ratio.

I had considering ditching the single dominator for a twin 750 carb setup. But after talking to eddie young, I have decided to stick with the setup i have. He has done many similar setups with good results. What i did do, per his recommendation, is drill and tap the rear intake manifold water jackets, to dump some water from the rear of the intake. Helps cool the back cylinders, and eliminate hot spots. Eddie and Dean Gellner do it on all their stuff. Gave Eddie all my specs, cam, heads, compression, and so on, he feels they should be 675-700HP around 7psi.

5. Collapse Details

Looking good!!
    Maybe I should get u a t- shirt that reads ..... Boost gets you laid!! LOL.

6. Collapse Details

That avatar is heavenly, Eric.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    That avatar is heavenly, Eric.
    I knew you (sister Mike) could appreciate it!!

Nun-out!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Nevr2nd View Post
    Looking good!!
    Maybe I should get u a t- shirt that reads ..... Boost gets you laid!! LOL.
    Im a XL

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    Im a XL
    Shirt or Shorts some people just got to know! .

10. Collapse Details

Went from the 177CI 525SC style blowers to the B&M 250CID blowers. I had thought of going to a 6-71 or 8-71 setup, the big blowers just take to much power to turn. If i had bigger CI motors I would have went bigger on the blowers though.

I actually have a article somewhere, where they dyno'ed a 468CI mill, with a 177 Weiand, then a 8-71 weiand. The only place the 8-71 outperformed the small blower was after about 5000 rpm, and even then it was minimal, and low rpm torque was better with the smaller blower. The gains from the bigger blower come in when you get past 5psi though, as the 177 is pretty limited to its effiecency on a 454-468ci around 5psi.

I was at around 5lbs last summer. Will probably run 7lbs this season. With the 250's, making 7lbs, they will still be turning quite a bit slower (about 30% slower) than the 177's were making 5lbs, if that makes sense.

Jimmy Valakeo just did a 575 merc upgrade, they did a set of aluminum heads, cam, and cranked the boost up to around 7 or 7.5psi, no intercooler. 753HP. Not bad for a 502CI with a small 256 blower and mercs low static compression ratio.

I had considering ditching the single dominator for a twin 750 carb setup. But after talking to eddie young, I have decided to stick with the setup i have. He has done many similar setups with good results. What i did do, per his recommendation, is drill and tap the rear intake manifold water jackets, to dump some water from the rear of the intake. Helps cool the back cylinders, and eliminate hot spots. Eddie and Dean Gellner do it on all their stuff. Gave Eddie all my specs, cam, heads, compression, and so on, he feels they should be 675-700HP around 7psi.
    The BIG shows!

11. Collapse Details

I posted a pic. below of a little Thursday night fun over at Wette Vette's dad's shop (Craigs dad John is in the pic. with Craig)....one of Craig's older friends wanted us to pull this 14:1 540 out of his V - Drive and get it ready for his single seat Jet Boat. He bought both of the boats out of Illinois and is planning on running some races at Blarney's Island this Summer. The V - Drive is up for sale. Craig is going to change oil pans and go through the bearings etc. and get it ready for the Jet Boat. As if we didn't have enough to do....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Al 1.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

66 or 67 in the background?

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    From first glimpse in the dark photo, I thought it might be a split.....

Oh well, I had one I chopped up into a drag race car way back....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

14. Collapse Details

66 427 car with power windows and air. Motor is actually a 468, but it looks bone stock minus the headers.

Pulling motors from jets and v-drives is fun. I think it took 22 minutes from the time the boat entered the garage to the time the motor was on the stand!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    From first glimpse in the dark photo, I thought it might be a split.....

Oh well, I had one I chopped up into a drag race car way back....
    Along side of the 66 is a 96 Grand Sport. One of the things on my dad's bucket list is to build a 63 Grand Sport Replica and run a hopped up version of a Z06 / LSX motor. The kit has been pretty incomplete in the past, but it seems to be coming together from the info on the website.

One of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMg9F...eature=related
    Last edited by WETTE VETTE; 04-22-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Link no work.

16. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE View Post
    Along side of the 66 is a 96 Grand Sport. One of the things on my dad's bucket list is to build a 63 Grand Sport Replica and run a hopped up version of a Z06 / LSX motor. The kit has been pretty incomplete in the past, but it seems to be coming together from the info on the website.

One of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMg9F...eature=related

A 10.60 at 126 is not bad at all.....

Those were wicked looking cars.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    A 10.60 at 126 is not bad at all.....

Those were wicked looking cars.
    Nice! The 66 ran 11.95 at 119 with some 8" slicks on pumped gas!

Did you run half shafts or a straight axle?

18. Collapse Details

BTW, my stuff is coming together too..Lots of little tidy'ing up to do yet, but getting ready for summertime!!
    Wow that looks awesome, nice job. You`re doing one hell of a job on that boat , Brian would be proud!!

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
    Wow that looks awesome, nice job. You`re doing one hell of a job on that boat , Brian would be proud!!
    Thanks!!

20. Collapse Details

Finally....all that is left now is to install the sea strainer tops after they come in from Marine Machine and fill the drives with gear lube. Craig and I can then get them running and set the timing....then off to our local lake for a shake down run!!!

Pics. show the new Eddie Marine Tips that I installed I had to do alot of gel work around these as the boat originally had CMI switchable exhause with a 5" OD Beauty Ring....along with the gel work to fill the holes where the speedo pickup....also new GPS with recall switch.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bilge 1 4-23.jpg   Bilge 2 4-23.jpg   Bilge 3 4-23.jpg  

Bilge 4 4-23.jpg   Bilge 5 4-23.jpg  
    Last edited by SC288; 04-23-2011 at 11:41 PM.