1. Collapse Details
    Hey Pantera Jo....how about that 29SV Outer Limits?
    Pretty impressive mph numbers out of that boat. What's your take on it? There's been a lot of talk about aero work and the boat definitely has some aero styling changes but I can't believe that accounts for more than a few mph on a boat of that size/speed. So that leaves the hull design and weight. In what areas are they making sacrifices to achieve that extra mph. There's gotta be some consequences.....no?

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know how much Jo knows about it, but I know quite a bit.

Maybe I'll chat about it some when I get a chance, I do not want to say too much because of the new design and the issue they had. I will say, in many respects, it appears to be no faster than any of the SVL top tier race boats. To compete against a SVL in race configuration they would have to switch from a 600 to a 525, (preliminary crank numbers appear to be a 100hp loss). Plus they would have to drop the drive 2 1/2 inches. If that doesn't take away 10 mph I'd be really surprised, and that would put it in the middle of the pack of the SVL's.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

With that being said do you really think they developed this boat for SVL?

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think that was one of the base thoughts. But, that size boat has become very popular. Take a look at the numbers of boats sold in the 28 to 32 range and it makes sense for them as a builder. Much bigger than that, and you don't have the performance numbers some want with a single warrantied engine and drive. I do know they have had talks with at least 3 of the SVL guys out there. They have not built a canopied version however, and I believe they have 9 open boats sold currently.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Let's not forget that this is a Carbon/Epoxy boat. A 32Ft Carbon/Epoxy Doug Wright with a 9ft plus beam with a laminate rich canopy installed, multiple bulkheads from bow to stern weighs 2200LBS. I would imagine that the 29SV weighs no more than 1600-1700LBS dry. MY SVL weighs 2550 dry and I'll need to add weight to make SVL rules for a single step at 4750LBS let alone the additional weight that is needed to meet the 5000LB+ multistep weight.

I came to that estimated weight calculation by engineering a Carbon/ Epoxy laminate schedule for the open cockpit version of my boat 29Ft 8In from Bow to TRANSOM.