Page 28 of 65 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Sanborn View Post
    Gentlemen, this is an interesting approach to what we all like to consider a sport.

Fountain did ask me about the rules weeks ago, and I referred them to the rule books. This is not a "Factory" boat, it is a customer boat, and it is not my place to make determinations on what is or is not legal outside of the rules as determined by each organization.

I was not made aware that this boat was indeed being built until a few weeks ago myself, and did not hear it from the factory, or, the boat owner. However, I can clarify a few facts that seem to be of some importance to the discussion.

1. The boat is built out of the production 33 Lightning mold, with the swim platform blocked out.
    2. The deck is built out of the production canopy mold and fitted to the 33 Lightning hull.
    3. I am told that the boat actually measures just under 30’ (29’11”) so it should be a comparable match to the existing fleet, considering that it also has the Fountain nose that really does not add to the running surface.
    4. The final weight of the boat is going to be within the 4750 pound requirement.
    5. Since Fountain filed for Chapter 11, I can assure everyone that there is no such thing as the kind of “factory support” that is being suggested here. They simply no longer have those resources.

A manufacturer built a boat well within the letter, sprit and intent of the rules and it is being challenged and considered for DQ based upon the notion of how it might run? If the boat is illegal, then let the rules take care of it.

From my perspective, this class has accomplished something that has not been done for nearly 10 years. Someone built a new boat to compete in a spec class. The SVL class is to be commended for that. That is the kind of thing that this “sport” and the marine industry in general need today. We can only hope that more racers decide to get into this class and seek out both new and existing manufacturers to build more boats.

Martin Sanborn

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    We can split hairs. Progress is inevitable. A 33 with the platform plugged is a 30 give or take a few inches. We need growth. I want to race the best.. We need to take the good with the bad. Who knows it may have some short comings. Maybe not.. If it is a run away I hope the owner will do what is best for the class he chose to race in.. And except some form of adjustment.. Maybe I am naive.

We have a new player in our group. Lets work on continuing growth and welcome him.

Lets Race. We have a great bunch here and I am proud to be a part of.

Now if it was from a 35 mold I would feel differently.. Whole different story. It would need to be cut down to make length in may estimation.
    So looking past all of that. I know you are a ex Fountain racer with Martin. How do explain circumventing homolgation?
    Steve

3. Collapse Details

We have a new player in our group. Lets work on continuing growth and welcome him.

Lets Race. We have a great bunch here and I am proud to be a part of.
    George said that the boat is ineligible to race this season anyway since it was not pre-approved for competition in accordance with the rules. Obviously the current owners can vote to allow it in as Jimmy suggests, but they should know that their boat will be rendered worthless the first time the new boat wins. When the current owners quit, and most will, they will have to cut the roof off the boat and use it forever as a personal pleasure boat. They will not be able to sell the boat either as a race or pleasure boat.

Having said that, any idea how much the new boat will cost and how fast it will run. Will Fountain offer an open cockpit version of it with stock power as well and if so at what price? I may want one!

4. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    I am put at ease knowing it is built from the 33 mold and Not the 35 mold. Since that is the case I believe it is within the letter, spirit, and intent of the rules..Using the 35 mold would NOT!!

Again, I say the more the merrier. Lets go racing.

Thanks Martin
    I wonder what the beam is?

Might be a good boat to test the torque sensor, considering its a reggie 525

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Let me assume again, you are all a bunch of p$$'s wyhning about a 17 year old racing a new boat that u don't even know if it will run 90 yet ????!!!!!!!

You guys are funny....but hey,,i love to be the one to blame all the time...

Yo ya rat kraut bastad.....sometimes you just need to learn how to race!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Sanborn View Post
    Gentlemen, this is an interesting approach to what we all like to consider a sport.

Fountain did ask me about the rules weeks ago, and I referred them to the rule books. This is not a "Factory" boat, it is a customer boat, and it is not my place to make determinations on what is or is not legal outside of the rules as determined by each organization.

I was not made aware that this boat was indeed being built until a few weeks ago myself, and did not hear it from the factory, or, the boat owner. However, I can clarify a few facts that seem to be of some importance to the discussion.

1. The boat is built out of the production 33 Lightning mold, with the swim platform blocked out.
    2. The deck is built out of the production canopy mold and fitted to the 33 Lightning hull.
    3. I am told that the boat actually measures just under 30’ (29’11”) so it should be a comparable match to the existing fleet, considering that it also has the Fountain nose that really does not add to the running surface.
    4. The final weight of the boat is going to be within the 4750 pound requirement.
    5. Since Fountain filed for Chapter 11, I can assure everyone that there is no such thing as the kind of “factory support” that is being suggested here. They simply no longer have those resources.

A manufacturer built a boat well within the letter, sprit and intent of the rules and it is being challenged and considered for DQ based upon the notion of how it might run? If the boat is illegal, then let the rules take care of it.

From my perspective, this class has accomplished something that has not been done for nearly 10 years. Someone built a new boat to compete in a spec class. The SVL class is to be commended for that. That is the kind of thing that this “sport” and the marine industry in general need today. We can only hope that more racers decide to get into this class and seek out both new and existing manufacturers to build more boats.

Martin Sanborn
    Look I want to race him and see what he has!!!! If he built a boat that falls into spec thats fine if he didn't I expect him to have to abide by the rules all the rest of us have to abide by.....Like I said Martin how many races did the Dick Simon Cigarette sit on the trailer because something, however trivial it may have been, had to be corrected!!!! With that being said I say "Game On" be careful in the turn!!!!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    Look I want to race him and see what he has!!!! If he built a boat that falls into spec thats fine if he didn't I expect him to have to abide by the rules all the rest of us have to abide by.....Like I said Martin how many races did the Dick Simon Cigarette sit on the trailer because something, however trivial it may have been, had to be corrected!!!! With that being said I say "Game On" be careful in the turn!!!!
    There are pre approval procedures requirements and also the specifications.
    Steve

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    So looking past all of that. I know you are a ex Fountain racer with Martin. How do explain circumventing homolgation?
    Steve
    Steve I show up and race. I do not prepare the boats I race.... I have no explanation to offer. I get in and Go.. It is good and bad.. In '98 we lost a Championship over an infraction at post race inspection. .. I enjoy winning and I don't cry or make excuses when I don't.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    Dick Simon Cigarette ........ be careful in the turn!!!!
    I went for a swim racing Dick Simon. Not that it was his fault or anything.. Just sparked a memory.

10. Collapse Details

Steve I show up and race. I do not prepare the boats I race.... I have no explanation to offer. I get in and Go.. It is good and bad.. In '98 we lost a Championship over an infraction at post race inspection. .. I enjoy winning and I don't cry or make excuses when I don't.
    But you suggested this was legal and above board when it is not!
    Steve

11. Collapse Details

There are pre approval procedures requirements and also the specifications.
    Steve
    I agree my friend....And that is what I am saying you were very familiar with the emails and the Cig.....So as long as everything is everything I dont mind racing him!!!! He just needs to follow all the same guidelines as the rest of the class!!!!

12. Collapse Details

I went for a swim racing Dick Simon. Not that it was his fault or anything.. Just sparked a memory.
    Well he was a driver that always asked where the marker is!!!!

13. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Personal Question: Does Martin Still work for Fountain?

14. Collapse Details

Competitor
    or the company formerly known as Fountain?

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
    or the company formerly known as Fountain?
    I have been told no. He did for years and I am sure would still love to. If this breaks up his P1 effort he will need to again. Martin know's the process and he knows it was not followed. Anything else is wiggling wrangling and BS.

I still have all my emails from him on the Skater Super V homologation issue when it was beating Reggie. What a different tone he has on this subject.
    Steve

16. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Martin doesn't top my list, and i won't go on and on about it.

Oh yeah, wish i had a SVL.

17. Collapse Details

But you suggested this was legal and above board when it is not!
    Steve
    I Suggested I don't have a problem with it and why. I understand it has not been approved. I think it would be a shame if we all cry foul and chase him away before he even shows up. Like a bunch of cry babies. " We want more boats, just not that one."

18. Collapse Details

I Suggested I don't have a problem with it and why. I understand it has not been approved. I think it would be a shame if we all cry foul and chase him away before he even shows up. Like a bunch of cry babies. " We want more boats, just not that one."
    It simple. You just follow the rules. If we are going to selectively enforce the rules please let me know what other ones we are ignoring.
    Steve

19. Collapse Details

If this breaks up his P1 effort he......

The owner and his intentions have not been stated yet.. Aren't you putting the cart before the horse?

DD is right...This is funny.

20. Collapse Details

Guys obviously I have no dog in the fight and my biggest concern is all the hard work that George has put in to bringing the class back from dust to having tv production, the biggest purse for any one class and more importantly boat count. Let him do his job, from what he has posted he has it totally under control and I am sure he will notify the class as a whole when everything works itself out and you guys can vote on it or whatever your procedures are for handling this matter. You are not going to accomplish anything here on the boards by going back and forth.

George has done a hell of a job so far, if it aint broke, dont fix it.

Trent
    www.tntoffshore.com

"El Racing boat es una pasion que se lleva en la sangre"