1. Collapse Details
    Tribute to Veterans
    Not much of a fan of ol' swooner songs but this hit me good this AM.

Guess it was the email from my Dad that came with it.

My Pops suffers physically and mentally every day of his life from Viet Nam.
    My Aunt Junie's brother was a casuality of war; RIP Uncle Buddy.
    My Uncle Rick was 2nd in command on the battleship New Jersey that my Pops flew over several times a day on his missions as she shelled North Viet Nam.

Email from my Dad preluding the link:

I send this to you...all of you...two of you are my loving sons...others are my dearest friends...one is my night school boss.... one of you is my fishing Captain.... one of you is my living, loving cousin.. 3 of you are my closest fishing friends....this really hits home... As an Air Force Fighter pilot, shot down in North Viet Nam twice...thats right...twice......this is very touching. I want to share it with you...not because I survived as a two-time Purple Heart Award Officer , but because I ask you to pause for a moment and remember all of my comrades that did not make it home. For they, not me, although I gave my all for my country, are the winners...the heros...the ones that paid the ultimate sacrifice for us to choose whatever we want to do from day to day. My heart is heavy for them. I gave a lot of blood and sweat but they gave their lives. Take a moment when you have time...don't rush it...take your time and listen to the words and absorb the moment. I appreciate it...I do appreciate it..... I am. Pops to my sons...Golf Pro to Jill... cousin to Junie...Bobby to the rest of you...my dearest friends...God Bless you all....

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/singingman7/TNOTW.htm

2. Collapse Details

Thank you Mark, for giving us this reminder of the sacrifice so many have made so that we can live a life of freedom and choice. I am not a military person, nor do I come from a family of military men with the exception of my great uncle who retired as a Brigadier General in the United States Marine Corps. My great uncle who has passed, live in Pensacola Florida, and I in the Seattle area, so there was very little opportunity to know him, but I will say that he was a very proud American. I read the email sent to you by your father, and you must be very proud of him as a man who gave so much for our country, even as there were so many back home expressing their rights given to them by men like your father as they protested the war and treated our returning heroes with such disrespect. I am only 35, so I have not been alive during a period our country was affected as a whole like the periods of the Viet Nam and World Wars, it seems to day, that it is so easy to live life without thinking of the men and women fighting across the globe from us, as it is today.

As we approach the anniversary of 9/11/01, we should be feeling that welling up of pride to be Americans that our country felt the time following the attacks on our soil. I realize that we are Americans, and that we keep on keeping on, and that is what makes us great but I just kind of miss the feeling of unity that we had for a while.

I am afraid that our leadership today is the type that felt that there was some disgrace being an American, and now we are spending too much time apologizing to the other people in the world for being Americans. We should all feel proud to be Americans and that there is never a time that you would ever feel ashamed to let others know that you are an American.
    Thank you, to the hero’s like you father.

Another good video, Trace Adkins – Arlington: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOih0MHNmZU

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbare View Post
    Thank you Mark, for giving us this reminder of the sacrifice so many have made so that we can live a life of freedom and choice. I am not a military person, nor do I come from a family of military men with the exception of my great uncle who retired as a Brigadier General in the United States Marine Corps. My great uncle who has passed, live in Pensacola Florida, and I in the Seattle area, so there was very little opportunity to know him, but I will say that he was a very proud American. I read the email sent to you by your father, and you must be very proud of him as a man who gave so much for our country, even as there were so many back home expressing their rights given to them by men like your father as they protested the war and treated our returning heroes with such disrespect. I am only 35, so I have not been alive during a period our country was affected as a whole like the periods of the Viet Nam and World Wars, it seems to day, that it is so easy to live life without thinking of the men and women fighting across the globe from us, as it is today.

As we approach the anniversary of 9/11/01, we should be feeling that welling up of pride to be Americans that our country felt the time following the attacks on our soil. I realize that we are Americans, and that we keep on keeping on, and that is what makes us great but I just kind of miss the feeling of unity that we had for a while.

I am afraid that our leadership today is the type that felt that there was some disgrace being an American, and now we are spending too much time apologizing to the other people in the world for being Americans. We should all feel proud to be Americans and that there is never a time that you would ever feel ashamed to let others know that you are an American.
    Thank you, to the hero’s like you father.

Another good video, Trace Adkins – Arlington: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOih0MHNmZU
    Couldn't agree more... Seems like people have already forgotten what tomorrow is the anniversary of...

I watched the 1976 version of King Kong with my kids this weekend and all I could think of at the end of that movie was the fact that the WTC wasn't there anymore and that 2900+ people died that day... My kids (who weren't born when it happend) thought I was sad because they killed King Kong. The real tragedy is that less than 10 years later, your average adult on the street would probably think the same thing...

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

4. Collapse Details

Thanks Mark
    I have been to the wall & I have a few high school classmates who are on it.
    We lost sooooo many kids back then & for what ?
    It was truly a teenage wasteland.

I can't believe that only 22 people looked at this post in 36 hrs.

Thanks again for letting us share this with you & your Dad.
    Please tell him thanks from me for the part he played in the war.
    Those were tough times for sure.

5. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky strike View Post
    Thanks Mark
    I have been to the wall & I have a few high school classmates who are on it.
    Me too- four to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky strike View Post
    We lost sooooo many kids back then & for what ?
    It was truly a teenage wasteland.
    For what? is right. Same for Iraq... tell me again why we are sacrificing our brave young people over there? For what? Politicians start wars, soldiers finish them.

Thanks for the post, Mark- very moving. Regardless of one's political views, everyone in this country owes a debt to your dad and those like him.

6. Collapse Details

That was touching.

We have Vetīs stones with the names carved on every cemetary.
    When I pass them driving with my rig and see the big stones it kinda makes me quiet for a while.

Gives kind of and idea of our losses in WW2, in every family theres someone who has given up everything for our land but Russians gained just barely land to bury their dead a general of theirs stated and in the military ranks Russians thought attacking us was unneccessary and a deadtrap considering our heritage in warfare.
    It (our homeland) ainīt much, thatīs all we have and we rather die than surrender to anyone.
    My both granpas was wounded on the front, on both sides of my family thereīs losses, every male is at least roll called to the Defense Forces even today.
    Iīm not militant by any means but wouldnīt hesitate to pick up a gun or defend by bare hands my country, thatīs how we are brought up. Never to give in.
    Freedom is nice especially when you really have had to struggle for it.
    Respect every nations freedom and culture.
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 09-11-2009 at 06:40 AM.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Couldn't agree more... Seems like people have already forgotten what tomorrow is the anniversary of...
    Hey, Iīm wearing my Yankees T-Shirt right now.

It will not be forgotten.

But lets seed the radicals out of the good people, everywhere and we could have it ok in this planet.

8. Collapse Details

Thank you all. I plan on heading up to see my Dad in a few weeks. I'm going to print this out and take him over to the 'Nam Vet Memorial in Philly overlooking the mighty USS New Jersey and let him read it. This is us at the Philly 'Nam Vet Memorial a few months ago.

Few more randoms about my ol' man-

- his co-pilot is in the National Air and Space Museum for the most hours ever flown. The record will never be broken due to pilot restrictions put in place after wards. I think he flew for FedEx after the war but not sure.

- Hall of Famer Johnny Oats worked for him as an Army Reservist; his day job was the starting catcher for the Orioles. He went to Atlanta after the O's and was playing in the game Hank Arron hit his historic home run.

- played the clarinet in the funeral procession for JFK. He was a senior at Valley Forge Military Academy; Varsity lettering in 4 sports & band all 4 years.

I could go on- now that he is not putting me on restrictions he is pretty interesting!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails philly.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Mark, my friend you are very lucky to have been brought up by parents who cared and understood what this Country is all about , they have obviously instilled in you the ability to care, and to take the time to understand, it is so sad that we now live in a culture where the it's all about me, me, me, and what can I do to make more money !
    It is so sad to me to watch the Government take away all the ideal's that so many gave there live's to protect!
    Thank's for this post, and, take the time to show your Dad your true feelings about him and the Life he has given to you.

RHC

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by RHC View Post
    it is so sad that we now live in a culture where the it's all about me, me, me, and what can I do to make more money !

RHC
    thatīs a Global thing often posted as an nowadays American thing...
    But what you said before is GENUINE AMERICAN.

11. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Thanks for the post Mark. Very moving. You're very fortunate that you're dad is willing to share his experiences and emotions from his time in Nam. He was serving his country in a time when society chose to shun and shame those who were protecting their Rights and Freedom, so many choose not to talk about.
    All though I have never had the privilege of visiting the wall, pictures never fail to move me. To see some one touching or tracing the outline of the name of a loved one, husband, father, son, brother, friend......the words elude me.
    Treasure the moment, because there is never enough time.

12. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Thanks Mark! I have tried to teach the same values and beliefs to my son that your father has taught to you. When you see your Dad, tell him Thanks for me! We need many more just like him. The lack of support and respect for our service men and women, both now and in the past has no place in our country.
    Jay
    Semper Fi
    Last edited by Never Enuff; 09-11-2009 at 02:03 PM.

13. Collapse Details

I never had any one actually that has told about me about Nam but I still have someone to look up to who served there.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/larry-thorne.htm

Mark youīre privileged.