Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Collapse Details
    "budget" engine build...
    Looking in to building the engine for my new project.....

The boat is a 1979 Excalibur..."24 x 7"

I would like to make 850 hp or so for it but I'm trying to do the best I can with what I have and also trying to staywithin my budget with is almost nothing....

I have a gen IV 454 mag shortblock with a forged crank and a gen VI 454 shortblock with cast crank and rods.

I also have a a set of Carrillo 6.535 rods...

I found what I think is a pretty good deal on an M3 procharger.... $1500 for the head unit, mounting bracket, pulleys, and belt....
    No intercooler but have found them pretty reasobly priced at http://frozenboost.com

Soooo, what I was thinking of building is a gen IV 468 with the GM forged crank, the Carrillo 6.535 rods and JE flat top pistons. O ring the block and pick up a cheap set of alluminum 119cc heads which should bring the compression to approx. 8.5:1 running the M3 making about 14 pounds of boost or so...

This engine will be fuel injected most likely running a megasquirt III system with a holley throttle body and multiport injection...

I'll go with a solid roller cam if needed or get a custom hydraulic roller cam built.....

What do ya'll think????

Will I be able to meet my 850 or so HP level with this setup????

ANY info appreciated.....

Also, I'm still looking in to drives... I wanted to do an Arneson setup but am worried how this hull will work with a "surface" drive....

I DID however find someone who can build a "Bravo" style drive that will hold up to this HP level so I might just go that route....

Doug
    Last edited by Boatally Insane; 05-06-2010 at 07:50 AM.