I have 2 Sony 10 in. subs in my boat. They are mounted under the double helm seat firing forward. They have been in for 2 seasons. This weekend I was playing the stereo and one of the subs blew. Its making a terrible rattle noise when turned up.

My question is, what should I replace it with? Not brand, type.

I think I want to go with either JL audio or Alpine marine type R those seems to be pretty popular and well liked choices on the subwoofer threads.

What I am not sure about is free air or enclosed sub.

The space they are in is pretty enclosed but not air tight, I am not sure how much work I need to do to make them air tight and I dont have any idea how much volume it would be enclosed anyway.

I am not sure how important a specific air volume is for enclosed subs and I understand ported ones need a specific port size to work. But I am worried that since the area is fairly closed off a free air might not be right either.

The other thing is my amps are mono kenwwod 300watt rms, 1000 watt peak.
The JL Audio subs are rated at 250 watt rms/750 max, those are my preferred choice but I am worried about blowing them with these amps. The Alpines are rated at 300 watts rms/900 wattt max so they match up a little better.

Whe I was looking around I also noticed some subs have dual voice coils but most have single voice coils, I have no idea what this means or if I should even be worried about that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.