Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Spray View Post
    CLASSIC Brownie. How are you doing these days? The Miami Show just wasn't the same this year without you holding court at the Stainless booth. Stopping there was the grownup's version of going to see Santa; you looked forward to it all year long.

Craig - Find what you need? I'm in the market for a transom pickup...
    I agree Chuck. I had the pleasure of talking with Brownie yesterday. ALWAYS a pleasure my friend!! Good luck with your current project!!!

As far as finding what I need....I need exhaust. I've got one tube on one header that is leaking...Found one rusty plug last fall when I winterized. My Stellings headers were produced in 6/2001 and I've been told by them (as well as everyone else that I've asked) that they have outlasted how long they are expected to survive. That being said, my shoes wear evenly and it's my thought that fixing one leak is not an option and I don't want to risk bigger losses (engine) by patching it and having failure(s) somewhere else in the exhaust.

Stellings headers will cost $6000 per engine and $3,500 for tailpipes per side. $9,500/side X 2= $19,000

So, let's say that they are good for 8 years. $19,000 divided by 8=$2375 per year for bling and 30HP. I'm not too proud to say that it's out of the range of what I can spend. Yep, headers look and sound cool as chit, but boating is my passion, not shiny headers. there is also much talk around where I live that there will be some enforcement of noise laws this year. I really don't need to be dealing with that.

So, my plan is to get the 5" Stainless manifolds. Being a #6 boat and not wanting to drill new holes in the transom, I will need custom tailpipes to create the necessary height that is needed. Bling....nope. Functional....YES! ...and less than half of the cost with a likelyhood that they will last longer than the headers, at less than half of the cost.

Before anyone brings it up, I will say that I'm having the exhaust valve replaced that was getting water on it. Another risk that I'm willing to take.
    Last edited by OldSchool; 03-04-2010 at 10:52 AM.