Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Collapse Details
    "The Deadliest Catch" Meets the Friendliest Race Team!
    The Cigarette Caveman today joined the Miss GEICO Race Team and special guest, Jonathan Hillstrand, of the Discovery Channel’s “Deadliest Catch” as they set off on a mission--to set a base speed record from Miami to Palm Beach.

As the 38 Top Gun Cigarette Caveman acted as the “pace” boat from the channel at Grove Harbour Marina, in Coconut Grove en route to the Loggerhead Marina in Jupiter, Florida some 78miles away, it was sunshine and blue skies. The earlier squalls and rain that blew through Miami had cleared, and while the wind seemed to be picking up, the crew was ready for a safe, fun run north with team owner John Haggin and Hillstrand riding with driver and throttleman Marc Granett and Scott Begovich at the controls of the Miss GEICO race boat. The goal was not to break any speed records, but rather to set a benchmark to create a new record to break! It was also the opportunity for Hillstrand to experience the ride at 100+ mph in a state-of-the-art turbine-powered catamaran—and unusual and exciting experience for a man who generally fishes for Alaskan King Crab in the Bering Sea! The Discovery Channel was on hand to catch Hillstrand in his new “racy” role!

As often happens in South Florida, the weather just north of Dade and Broward counties varied greatly though only miles away. Craig Wilson, Powerboat P1’s Evolution Class Champion from 2007 and 2008 was along for the ride in the Cigarette Racing Team’s Caveman boat and reported that the seas were ugly—like a washing machine with rain pouring down and winds seeming to come from all directions.

Despite the unfavorable conditions, everyone made it safely and we’ll await the official speed from the forthcoming Miss GEICO Racing Team press release. Said Hillstrand, “I wouldn’t pass this opportunity up for the world! These guys might have a more dangerous job per capita than I do! This is the coolest thing I’ve done in my life!” And that’s something coming from a guy who fishes in Alaskan waters!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0237.JPG   IMG_0246.JPG   IMG_0253.JPG