It is really sad to hear about all the recent accidents in the boating community.
Not knowing all the details, however, is there anything we can do to help reduce these situations?
I’m really feel for and sorry for all the people involved.
Questions/issues popes in to my head. Excessive speeds at locations? IE, rivers, bends, lakes with traffic. To fast for conditions? Mechanical issues? Driver mistakes?
Again not knowing the details and it seems that all the recent happenings had experienced drivers, but I think there are some things we as a community could do to help all boaters safer. Here is an example what I’m concerned with. Last 4th of July... Hundreds of boaters partying at an near by island. We are all drinking and having a great time. Many of us were staying overnight in the boat. Then there is a local guy with a CC. about 1:00AM just decides he had enough, get’s his passengers in the boat, takes of like a bat out of hell. NO LIGHTS. He forgot. I knew where he was heading, but there is a long marked channel to navigate before the ramp. Then he would be driving home. If I would be more level headed at the time (less drinking) I would have just go after him and through his key in the water, but I was in no condition to operate a boat.
I think all performance boaters and most reg. guys are very safety minded, then there is the time when safety is just ignored.
Drivers go nuts to get photo ops. Push their boats beyond the “safety zones” driving FT at night. Etc. etc.
Again… not faulting any of the drivers in the recent tragedies. It could be simple “panic” maneuver avoiding a dingy with no lights or getting caught in a lobster trap line.
Long ago in Europe.. (I don’t know if it’s still the requirement) an operator had to take and pass a course. Just like a driver license. I had some close call to the other “moron” not being safe… yet, I would have been in the news.
Should we/or the gov. implement a required course before anyone can operate a boat?
Any thoughts on this ?