OK, I know the models that are out there, so I don't need this to be a "buy this one because it works great for me" thread.

I have a debate going on here in my head, and I can't seem to land on an answer.

Basically, you have two kinds of trailer brake controllers.

Brake Pedal Pressure models
(like the Reese/Drawtite) respond to how hard you press on the brake pedal, get an electronic reading from the hydraulic pressure on your truck's braking system, and then apply a force to your trailer brakes. These devices normally have a setting where you can adjust/fine tune the actual impulse to the trailer, and adjust the trailer brakes' pressure independently up/down according to load/ conditions. These models are usually cheaper, and can be mounted in any place/any direction.

Inertia based models
(like the Tenkosha Prodigy) "feel" the slow down of the truck based on how "hard" your truck is slowing down, and then apply a force to your trailer brakes. These devices normally have a setting where you can adjust/fine tune the actual impulse to the trailer, and adjust the trailer brakes' pressure independently up/down according to load/ conditions. These models are usually more expensive, and must be mounted in only a certain, flat plane, facing forward direction.

Here's my big dilemma:

Inertia based models basically works like surge brakes. When the truck slows down, it tells the trailer brakes to slow down. However, my thought is that if your truck is sliding, perhaps with locked tires, perhaps with the truck sliding "sydwayz", the Inertia based models are not going to send all that accurate of a signal as so figuratively put "oh chit, I need to stop". This would be much the same problem as if you apply your surge brakes while going around a curve, and your trailer begins to jack knife. It seems to me that this isn't the best setup. No?

Brake Pedal Pressure based models will "read" how hard you are stomping on the brake pedal, and then send a corresponding signal to the trailer brakes. This is great, but what if your truck brakes rupture a line? Now your hydraulic brake pressure drops, and NOW your Brake Pedal Pressure module is going to think you let off the brakes. However, during normal operation--no matter which direction your truck is facing, even if its at 90* perpendicular to the trailer, if you are stomping the pedal to the floor, it's sending a "panic stop" signal to the trailer.

I know that BOTH types of controllers have a MANUAL switch/toggle/button/whatever where you can grab/tap it in a hurry, and apply the trailer brakes.

I just can't decide which one is best. Has anyone tried both? Can anyone shed their experience?

I'll probably have more thoughts later, but I'm off to dinner.