Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    California road trip....
    Thinking about catching a flight to Vegas in the spring (prob early May), spending a couple of days there, then renting a car, heading to Cali and driving up the Pacific Coast Highway and seeing the Redwoods and all that......niether of us has ever been to Vegas or Cali......any suggestions?......we got about a week to 10 days

2. Collapse Details

Banned
    Do it.

I lived in Newport Beach for a couple years and drove the PCH once with a friend. We went from LA up to San Fransisco for a long weekend-- it was one of the best experiences of my life. Literally a neverending series of unbelievable views- often times you are just inches from the edge of 300ft dropoffs to the ocean.

Friends told me that the drive from SF up to the Oregon line is even more beautiful. I hope to do it someday.

Rent a convertible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Big Sur1m.jpg   Big Sur2m.jpg   Big Sur3m.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Ive done portions of the Pacific coast all the way up to Canada. I plan on driving as much of the pacific coast as possible one day, Tijuana to Canada.
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

4. Collapse Details

Do it! I do it every day on my way to work and it never gets old. Gotta run. Too sunny to stay on the computer. I'll post more suggestions and whatnot later.

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Do it! I do it every day on my way to work and it never gets old. Gotta run. Too sunny to stay on the computer. I'll post more suggestions and whatnot later.
    suggestions are appreciated

but lets keep the whatnot's to a minimum
    Parabellum FJ²B

6. Collapse Details

I always fly to California, rent a car. Stay a few days. Then drive to Vegas stay a few days and fly home from Vegas. The rental car companies will let you return the car to any of their airport locations. Believe its a 20 dollar surcharge. Well worth it.

7. Collapse Details

I went to Crater lake in Oregon, that was pretty cool, snow on the ground in the summer and I was in shorts.
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...er+lake&sz=all

8. Collapse Details

Balboa Island , New Port Beach is a great stop. I did the PCH in a convertible and it was something I'll never forget. Great plan!

9. Collapse Details

Incredible Drive and lots of cool places to stay eat and "giggity".

Couple ways to do that drive.

You could work in the Hearst castle - spend night in Cambria

Have a Meal at Nepenthe,between San Simeon and Carmel.

if you have Bones stay at Post ranch (nothing like it) if your a regular guy stay at River house, Ventana, Highland Ranch, or in Carmel.

Have breakfast in Carmel at Em-Lees and get french toast.

Take the trip you wont regret it.

Uncle Dave

10. Collapse Details

I have done La to Oregon, great drive!! don't miss Monterrey and the drive through pebble beach!!!!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tunnelvision69 View Post
    I have done La to Oregon, great drive!! don't miss Monterrey and the drive through pebble beach!!!!
    how long of a drive was that??

thanks for all the comments btw!

keep them coming.....

12. Collapse Details

I'm with Uncle Dave. Nepethe is a must do. If you can work out a breakfast at the Sugar Shack on main in Huntington Beach it's worth a stop. Great food and great... um, sight seeing. Downtown Huntington is about as SoCal beach scene as you get. Not too overbearing like Newport or Manhattan Beach, but much more "torist accessable" than some of the other popular surf locations. http://www.ci.huntington-beach.ca.us...hcondition.cfm

I'd probably try to do San Deigo to SF or even north of SF if you have time. There' such a broad range of topography that you'll pass through over a period of about 10 hours (driving time).

I'd recommend Las Brisas in Laguna Beach for lunch. It's on a cliff overlooking the ocean and it's an amazing view. A stop in Chrystal Cove between Laguna and Newport is really nice and there are beach side bungalows you can rent if you plan far enough in advacne. There's also a roadside burger joint (Ruby's chain but still tasty) right at the top of the hill.

Walt's Wharf in Seal beach and the whole downtown Seal Beach area is pretty nice.

Also, north of San Francisco, over the Golden Gate bridge is pretty awesome. You can go from the Marin headlands on up on PCH and its a pretty spectacular drive and fairly rural. Infineon raceway isn't far out of the way and Pt Reyes lighthouse is pretty cool. There's a guy up in SF who will take you out to the Farralon Islands so you can dive with great white sharks (in a cage) as well. I've done it, and that's probably one of the most memorable things I've done to date...

Good luck!

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by pullmytrigger View Post
    how long of a drive was that??

thanks for all the comments btw!

keep them coming.....
    we did it in 3 days but a few more would have been nice!! if I had to shorten it I would skip everything south of Monterrey but all of it was really nice!!!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    I'm with Uncle Dave. Nepethe is a must do. If you can work out a breakfast at the Sugar Shack on main in Huntington Beach it's worth a stop. Great food and great... um, sight seeing. Downtown Huntington is about as SoCal beach scene as you get. Not too overbearing like Newport or Manhattan Beach, but much more "torist accessable" than some of the other popular surf locations. http://www.ci.huntington-beach.ca.us...hcondition.cfm

I'd probably try to do San Deigo to SF or even north of SF if you have time. There' such a broad range of topography that you'll pass through over a period of about 10 hours (driving time).

I'd recommend Las Brisas in Laguna Beach for lunch. It's on a cliff overlooking the ocean and it's an amazing view. A stop in Chrystal Cove between Laguna and Newport is really nice and there are beach side bungalows you can rent if you plan far enough in advacne. There's also a roadside burger joint (Ruby's chain but still tasty) right at the top of the hill.

Walt's Wharf in Seal beach and the whole downtown Seal Beach area is pretty nice.

Also, north of San Francisco, over the Golden Gate bridge is pretty awesome. You can go from the Marin headlands on up on PCH and its a pretty spectacular drive and fairly rural. Infineon raceway isn't far out of the way and Pt Reyes lighthouse is pretty cool. There's a guy up in SF who will take you out to the Farralon Islands so you can dive with great white sharks (in a cage) as well. I've done it, and that's probably one of the most memorable things I've done to date...

Good luck!
    San diego north ...oh yeah..you gotta get a pik of the Pamela Anderson national monument in San Onfre
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

15. Collapse Details

Do I have any weather concerns in the first of May vs the end of May?

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by pullmytrigger View Post
    Do I have any weather concerns in the first of May vs the end of May?
    Expect & prepare to get rained on at least one or two days a week.

UD

17. Collapse Details

Be careful- I was set to do this once and ended up staying in Vegas the entire time...

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    Find Raymond from RR.

He did this same trip in Motorhome last week.
    Told me about 2 or 3 side trips and activities that sounded great fun.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
    Find Raymond from RR.

He did this same trip in Motorhome last week.
    Told me about 2 or 3 side trips and activities that sounded great fun.
    chit Alec...wish I hadda known, was just talking to him Sunday at the show....will do

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    Expect & prepare to get rained on at least one or two days a week.

UD
    what kind of temps could you expect??