1. Collapse Details
    USS Fort McHenry to Visit KW Saturday
    This thing is huge.

http://pdf.keysnews.com/frontpage.pdf

USS Fort McHenry and 400 sailors to arrive Saturday
    BY ADAM LINHARDT Citizen Staff
    alinhardt@keysnews.com

A Navy vessel named after one of the most famous forts in American history is making its way to Key West Saturday as it prepares for upcoming deployment to the Baltic Sea.

The USS Fort McHenry, a 610-foot amphibious landing craft with a crew of more than 400 sailors, will dock at the Outer Mole Pier for three days of liberty, said Cmdr. Ray Hartman. The ship is a full 100 feet longer than the USS Spruance, a guided missile destroyer that was commissioned in Key West in October.

The McHenry's primary mission is to launch landing craft like hovercrafts full of Marines and other gear, Hartman said.

"This is one of the biggest Navy ships to dock in Key West in recent years," said Naval Air Station Key West spokeswoman Trice Denny. "It's going to be very noticeable from the Outer Mole (Pier), to boaters and everyone downtown."

The McHenry spent more than three months in Haiti providing humanitarian relief in 2010 before spending 18 months undergoing repairs and upgrades, after which its crew spent months training for the ship's new systems.

"The visit to Key West will provide the crew a much-needed reward after all of the hard work they put in during the demanding training cycle," Hartman wrote in an email to The Citizen. "In addition, after two years without being overseas, there are many new sailors who have never experienced liberty in foreign countries. This visit will provide the chance for the ship to 'practice' liberty policies, so the sailors can understand procedures and safety for venturing out into foreign nations with respect to the upcoming deployment."

The first half of the crew's overseas deployment will involve cross-training with Baltic nations, and then on to Africa, where the crew will help train allied sailors and conduct humanitarian work while onshore, Hartman said.

The vessel is named for Fort McHenry in Baltimore, Md., where bombardment by British warships during The War of 1812 inspired Francis Scott Key to write "The Star-Spangled Banner." The ship's homeport is Naval Amphibious Base, Little Creek, Va.

The sailors are looking forward to the diving, fishing and food in Key West, Hartman wrote. He warned his crew that "once they visit [Key West] they will never want to leave!

"I have thoroughly enjoyed Key West both times I have visited, and truly wanted to get my crew down there to enjoy the island," Hartman wrote, adding that he is looking forward to hanging a ship's plaque among others at Rick's/Durty Harry's Entertainment Complex on Duval Street.

alinhardt@keysnews.com
    Parabellum FJ²B

2. Collapse Details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1726004248_141f54e5ed_z.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	73323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ussFtMcHenry.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	73324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	482px-USS_Fort_McHenry;10124305.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	73325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US_Navy_050117-F-4884R-015_he_amphibious_dock_landing_ship_USS_Fort_McHenry_(LSD_43)_makes_a_wid.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	73326
    Parabellum FJ²B

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pete says you should take your boat out with a camera and get some pics of the welldeck.

He says wear your Air Force uniform and smile for the Marines and SeaBees when you get up close....
    Last edited by Ratickle; 04-13-2012 at 07:59 AM.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

5. Collapse Details

I guess I best go pop some popcorn
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

6. Collapse Details

Mayor should but them the 1st round !

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Pete says you should take your boat out with a camera and get some pics of the welldeck.

He says wear your Air Force uniform and smile for the Marines and SeaBees when you get up close....

I should....I've yet to have my ass kicked by anyone in Bell Bottom pants ....(except for Suzie Kerrigan in the 3rd grade)
    Parabellum FJ²B

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I should....I've yet to have my ass kicked by anyone in Bell Bottom pants ....(except for Suzie Kerrigan in the 3rd grade)
    So youre saying suzie is tougher than a marine?

9. Collapse Details

Yep....and she could read too !!
    Parabellum FJ²B

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Pete's on the road and can't answer Himself so he called.

He wants to know if this was Suzie????

Marine Corps Dictionary:
    BAM
    A pejorative term for a Woman Marine, reportedly meaning broad assed Marine. Never used much in the presence of female Marines out of fear of bodily harm. Women Marine recruits in the 1960s, when it was most used, were taught that the letters meant "Beautiful American Marine". Known to have been used as early as World War II.

And he is also questioning if she kicked your ass and stole your camera phone so that's why you haven't posted any of your own pics of the ship, but have to swipe some from the US Navy....